XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

High CO2 and running rough

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High CO2 and running rough

Hi

since owning this dam car I've had nothing but issues..one being high fuel consumption and intermitant misfire both Banks.changed coils plugs twice new Andy bracket but not changed crank sensor as working ...but had it checked Co at 8.0.

now my scanner will not give me data but did have p0138 and p1193 in ecm

now has been of road a while in body shop.is there a easy way to check lambda sensors with multi meter.

and my scanner sais eft sensor -40 I don't trust when engine at temp I have approx 250 ohms at sensor is that correct.

i did swap the lambda sensors last yr from a good running car.should I just bite the bullet and buy 2 x new ones and can anyone tell me the difference of these two part number lha1682aa and lha1682ba and what's the correct ones for a 96 xjr x300 6 cyl

Last edited by Stevieb76; 02-25-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 02-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 12,733 Likes on 6,378 Posts

Hi Stevie,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums. It's great to have you with us.

Since we rely on the kindness and volunteer help of others on this forum, you can help yourself by taking the time to compose your messages with capitalization, punctuation and especially some line breaks between subjects to give our eyes and brains an occasional rest. It's daunting for others to try to read a block of text with few capital letters or periods and no line returns. I realize that typing on your phone is slow and tedious, but a little extra time spent on your part will greatly improve your chances of receiving helpful replies.

Also, it is helpful to use correct spelling, especially in the title of your thread, to help others who may be searching similar topics. I have taken the liberty of correcting the spelling in your title and adding some line breaks to your post.

Can you please explain what you mean by "High contrast?"

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Also, please add the year, model and engine info of your Jaguar to your signature line so you don't have to remember to mention it and so others won't have to either ask or go back to the first post of your threads to be reminded of this info which is critical in giving you accurate responses.

My first question is regarding high fuel consumption. Do you mean the trip computer is indicating high fuel consumption, or have you actually measured the fuel consumption by filling the tank, driving a known distance, refilling the thank, and dividing the miles traveled by the gallons used?

Regarding the diagnostic trouble codes, the most common causes of P0138 are issues with the O2S wiring harness rather than sensor failure.

I don't see a P1173 code in the manual, but I do see P1137, which, like P0138, usually has to do with a problem in the O2S wiring.

At the link below, you can download the 1996 DTC Summaries Manual, which gives some of the possible causes of each code:

Jaguar XJ DTC Summaries Manual 1996 1997

Hopefully others will be along to respond to your other questions.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-25-2017 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MountainMan (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Stevie,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums. It's great to have you with us.

Hi Don taking on board what your saying about punctuation.
I'm always rushing and my phones a nightmare for spelling.

I have edited the title it should say co2 but remains the same?.aas to going on the control panel to put my car details in I can not find the location of this can you help?.

My car on trip was saying average 15 miles around town.on motorway about 18 to 20.and if I remember rightly it was last yr I did a return journey of approx 160 miles about 40 pound on motorway but don't hold me to that as it was awhile ago.

Thanks steve

Last edited by Don B; 02-25-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 12,733 Likes on 6,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevieb76
I have edited the title it should say co2 but remains the same?.aas to going on the control panel to put my car details in I can not find the location of this can you help?.

My car on trip was saying average 15 miles around town.on motorway about 18 to 20.
Hi Steve,

You probably have not yet made enough posts to have editing privileges, so I have edited the title to replace contrast with CO2. Let me know if that is what you intended it to say.

Regarding the mileage shown on your trip computer, it is an estimate based on all the sensor inputs received by the ECM, so if any sensor is malfunctioning, the fuel economy estimate may be even more inaccurate than usual. When I have compared the trip computer fuel economy estimates to actual measured economy, the computer has always been at least 1 or 2 mpg off and sometimes 3 or 4 mpg off.

To add your car information to your signature you will probably have to choose "View Full Site," since the option may not be available in the mobile web view. Go to your User Control Panel, and along the left edge of the page are a number of links. Under Settings & Options click Edit Signature. At the top is a Preview window showing how your signature currently appears. Below that is an Edit Signature window. Here you can add your car details and any other information that may be relevant to the forum. Before adding anything questionable, read the forum rules (which you should have done by now anyway ).

Once you've added your info, click on the Save Signature button a little lower down the page.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Lightbulb 15 city and low to mid 20ish highway MPG is typical for an X300 XJR

Your 15 city and low to mid 20ish highway MPG is typical for the X300 XJR.

I've been driving mine for almost three years, put on 40k miles with 90% highway miles (100 mile round trip commute) and I've maintained a solid average MPG between 17 in winter and 18.2 rest of the year.

The following 2 users liked this post by al_roethlisberger:
Don B (02-25-2017), MountainMan (02-26-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Your 15 city and low to mid 20ish highway MPG is typical for the X300 XJR.

I've been driving mine for almost three years, put on 40k miles with 90% highway miles (100 mile round trip commute) and I've maintained a solid average MPG between 17 in winter and 18.2 rest of the year.

up date.after getting faults for 02 sensor bank one.

FIndings are after giving car a good thrashing bank one 02 sensor started working ok. After being stuck in open loop.car seems to drive better when I swapped 02 plugs!!

Check fault codes none..drove car the other night all OK but now and then intermitant misfire..have not used for a day or so.Go out tonight car running rough and intermitant misfire, check codes and 02 sensor bank 2 high voltage cleared codes. So now faults have jumped bank so i know its not cylinder issues on bank one.
Monitor 02 sensors on solus start engine closed loop on both Banks running fine engine hot.Then bank 2 goes open loop and get intermitant misfire again.
Disconnected bank 2 02 sensor plug to see if puts a code and go on road test with it discontented no codes come up at all.but engine runs fine.no rough running or misfire but does seem down on power because i have sensor disconnected...
On snap on solus both Banks seem to be going from closed loop normal driving to open loop when driven hard..

And regardless of any condition 02 sensor voltages show 0.000 volts!!! On scanner.....it does sound like 02 sensor is playing up just the no voltage on scanner concerns me ...

Old 03-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,052 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I'd start by replacing both sensors. I'm guessing you're in the UK and only have 2 O2 sensors? North American cars and those with full OBDII have 4 sensors.

Other place to look is the coolant temperature sensor. It's on the thermostat block, front left side of the engine. Since you have a scanner, see that the temperature reported is close to the real temperature.

With the coils, you said you replaced them - with what brand? The aftermarket ones are known to fail fairly quickly, and even buying one from a Jaguar dealer is no gaurentee of getting one like the car was built with. The coil bodies can crack and then you short to ground in the cylinder head. The originals were made by Diamond in Japan and have a white/yellowish top. See the massive thread about coils here, starting in 2013: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0-coils-93966/

You might be better off with good used OE coils from a breaker or Ebay than aftermarket new ones.

EDIT: looks like SNG Barratt carries the correct, OEM coils, part number LHE1510AB# Just be very careful buying coils.

Last edited by Jagboi64; 03-01-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I'd start by replacing both sensors. I'm guessing you're in the UK and only have 2 O2 sensors? North American cars and those with full OBDII have 4 sensors.

Other place to look is the coolant temperature sensor. It's on the thermostat block, front left side of the engine. Since you have a scanner, see that the temperature reported is close to the real temperature.

With the coils, you said you replaced them - with what brand? The aftermarket ones are known to fail fairly quickly, and even buying one from a Jaguar dealer is no gaurentee of getting one like the car was built with. The coil bodies can crack and then you short to ground in the cylinder head. The originals were made by Diamond in Japan and have a white/yellowish top. See the massive thread about coils here, starting in 2013: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0-coils-93966/

You might be better off with good used OE coils from a breaker or Ebay than aftermarket new ones.

EDIT: looks like SNG Barratt carries the correct, OEM coils, part number LHE1510AB# Just be very careful buying coils.
Hi thank you for reply.areply. I have ordered two new 02 sensors and am awaiting delivery.As for the coils they were good used oem ones.that I have removed from a donar car I have a xjs x300..
I've even taped up the coils with insulation tape incase shorting on the internal rocker cover but still intermitant ly misfires.but will await till I've fitted the new 02 sensors.1 thing at a time I think is best approach.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,052 Likes on 2,030 Posts

The O2 sensors can be a devil to get out. You'll probably need a combination of a 17mm deep socket, spanner, stubby spanner and heat. Keep small children away, as you'll probably use most swear words in your vocabulary!

Old 03-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

I think you said earlier that you thought it was OK, but history suggests that on X300s, the crankshaft position sensor lies at the root of an enormous range of issues, mostly without an obvious logical connection! If you are starting to throw parts at the car, I would put it in the list.

Don B (03-06-2017)