XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Hot supercharger? intake temp readings

Old 06-14-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Hot supercharger? intake temp readings

For the past few days I've had my supercharger belt taken off since I think my rear bearings are shot. So I realized when the blower isnt being used my intake temp readings have been reading at around 100 degrees or so with an ambient temperature of 80 degrees or so.
Today I hooked up my belt again and drove the car for about 10 miles and my intake temp readings are back up to 210 degrees.
Is there a way to flush engine mounted intercooler? or does anyone know what my problem could be?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:18 AM
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

My first thought is that its no wonder that the rear bearings are shot if you have been running the system with 210 deg intake temp. Would first hand suspect a defective electric water pump or air trapped around the impeller.
At an ambient temp 75F I usually see the IAT at something like 85 – 90F, with more inspired driving maybe 100F.
That is however with an upgraded system, pump and radiator.

Jan

Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Jan_M
My first thought is that its no wonder that the rear bearings are shot if you have been running the system with 210 deg intake temp. Would first hand suspect a defective electric water pump or air trapped around the impeller.
At an ambient temp 75F I usually see the IAT at something like 85 – 90F, with more inspired driving maybe 100F.
That is however with an upgraded system, pump and radiator.

Jan
Which 'upgraded' intercooler pump and radiator are you using?

I assume the higher flow Bosch pump?

Old 06-15-2015, 08:42 AM

I totally forgot about the electric water pump. I haven't checked if it's properly working since I first got the car.

Is the upgraded pump the OEM bosch pump for mustang cobras?

Old 06-15-2015, 09:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I should probably have mentioned that my XJR6 engine is transplanted into an series 1 XJ6, so lots of things are certainly a bit different. The radiator that is used for intercooling is a junkyard find, think it was from a -94 Honda Civic. There is also an extra electric fan in front of it that can be engaged when needed. And the pump, yes its the Bosch 0392022010, better pressure and flow. Used for the Mercedes AMG etc.
The ic cooling system is totally separated from the engine cooling. Dont know how it is on the X300 but cant imagine that the construction permits hot engine coolant to mix much into the intercooling. A common expansion reservoir connection at most.

If the pump is tested ok I would next simply try to flush the separated ic and ic radiator, one at a time with a garden hose and also in different directions.

Jan

Old 06-15-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jan_M
I should probably have mentioned that my XJR6 engine is transplanted into an series 1 XJ6, so lots of things are certainly a bit different. The radiator that is used for intercooling is a junkyard find, think it was from a -94 Honda Civic. There is also an extra electric fan in front of it that can be engaged when needed. And the pump, yes its the Bosch 0392022010, better pressure and flow. Used for the Mercedes AMG etc.
The ic cooling system is totally separated from the engine cooling. Dont know how it is on the X300 but cant imagine that the construction permits hot engine coolant to mix much into the intercooling. A common expansion reservoir connection at most.

If the pump is tested ok I would next simply try to flush the separated ic and ic radiator, one at a time with a garden hose and also in different directions.

Jan
Thanks for the information Jan. I actually just went to go check if my IC pump was working correctly. I disconnected the inlet side of the intake intercooler and put the hose into an empty coolant jug and turned the key to get the cooling fans and AFAIK the intercooler pump also, and after about 10 seconds the jug was empty.
I did put a mechanics stethoscope to the pump and I hear a faint whine (like the pump is trying to turn but it can't)
I guess next step is to try and see if there is an air bubble caught in the lines right where the pump is located.