XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

How to remove front subframe on 4.0/3.2l I6?

Old 04-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default How to remove front subframe on 4.0/3.2l I6?

Hi!

Am breaking my X300 now (after a very short life with me) and want to remove the engine and transmission via removing the front subframe.

I know there are two larger bushes/mounts behind the front subframe (28 mm nuts/screws!?) that need to be removed. But what other nuts/screws are due?

Afaik the V's hold the subframe in place as well... Is that all?

My plan is:

- remove rear transmission mount
- remove transmission pipes to radiator
- undo prop bolts
- undo shift linkage
- undo hoses to engine
- undo steering column
- undo brake caliper hoses
- undo ABS sensor cables
- undo subframe

And the hole bugger should simply roll right out... Right?

Of course other parts in the engine bay will need removing/undoing as well but is that basically it or have I missed something?

Cheers

Damien

Old 04-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Received 12,721 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Damien,

That's an interesting project!

Yes, the only things that secure the subframe to the body are the Vee mount screws (two long screws for each mount) and the rear pivot bush bolts (one per side).

The shocks will need to be disconnected, either at the top wheel well or at the lower end. The A/C hoses to the condensor will need to be disconnected, and if you have a powersteering fluid cooler those lines will need to be disconnected too.

I'd recommend removing the radiator cooling fans/shroud for clearance (it's easy - just a couple of screws on top and a couple of electrical connectors), and if you want to sell the radiator I'd remove it before you drop the engine to avoid the risk of damage.

You'll need to disconnect various hoses like the fuel lines, the vacuum line to the cruise control pump & dump valve, the line to the carbon canister(s), etc., but you'll see all of those as you are disconnecting things.

You'll have to check clearances to be certain the manifolds will clear the wheel wells on both sides. You may need to remove the intake manifold (which isn't difficult). You'll want to remove the air intake plumbing anyway.

I have no idea how the engine/gearbox will balance on the front wheels, so you may need to support the heavier end so it doesn't nosedive and damage something.

In case they may be of any help, the photos at the link below are of our '93 XJ40, which is very similar to the X300:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-04-2015 at 01:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
Daim (04-04-2015), MountainMan (04-04-2015), XJRay (04-07-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Don,

cheers for your quick reply.

The radiators are scrap, as they both burst upon impact... So the entire nose will be taken to pieces. The tranny will sit on a little roller wagon, so that will roll well. As most weight is to the rear, it should simply roll out (when the front end is lifted high enough).

The manifolds should (as far as I have been able to tell) pass the wells quite well (that is how they were originally mounted - from below).

What I missed were the front struts/dampers. They weren't on my list. Thanks for mentioning them! The other hoses and cables are obviously going to either be cut or unplugged along the lines

I also plan on doing a time lapse video at the same time Gopro is fully charged and has a nice large card rammed into it So it should be an interesting film

Cheers

Damien

Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Received 12,721 Likes on 6,373 Posts

We'll look forward to watching the time lapse!

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-05-2015, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Is going well at the moment...

Engine is basically free (nothing around it to get in the way). The steering coloumn is disconnected. The radiators (both) are out or better nearly out. The engine has no wires anymore around it. All water hoses are removed. Next is to undo the propshaft and transmission mount, uncouple the selector cables and then the front vees. Then I'll either get a hoist to lift the car up and over the engine OR simply cut a hole in the front and tug it forwards... Piece of cake! Wish I had known this as I fought with the V12 on my scrap XJ-S... Would have made it so much easier!

The video is a little "empty" in certain moments (some parts go missing all of a sudden ) but it is getting there as well... A good ~20 GB of data so far!