XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

I Need A Harmonic Balancer Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default I Need A Harmonic Balancer Fast!

Hey Lads,

Well it comes to this.
These pics show what I have been up against with this XJ since the beginning. The level of craftsmanship just cannot be talked about enough. Gee, I wonder why the pulley was wobbling?

Ok, the car is at the shop and they pulled this out. It is not going to be usable so I need to find one fast. Could someone please save my butt here and sell me a rebuildable unit for a decent price? I would need to have it drop shipped directly to HB Repair but I will provide address and gladly pay the shipping.

I just need to get one fast because the car is now sitting at their shop.

Please let me know asap
Be kind, I have been getting my butt kicked on this one and I am in the 11th hour of putting this fine car back on the road proper.

Cheers
Bernie

Attached Thumbnails I Need A Harmonic Balancer Fast!-image2_zpsfade9c51.jpeg   I Need A Harmonic Balancer Fast!-image6_zpsc4fe7a7e.jpeg   I Need A Harmonic Balancer Fast!-image3_zps57907be5.jpeg   I Need A Harmonic Balancer Fast!-image5_zps46948fde.jpeg   I Need A Harmonic Balancer Fast!-image4_zps928827e8.jpeg  

Last edited by razorboy; 05-05-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a parts car 1996 XJ6 listed on local craigslist here, guy lives in Cartersville GA about 45min south of here.

1996 jaguar xj6 parts

He may still have one to part out.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Looks like you maybe should get a timing ring, too, Bernie.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 PM

Thanks guys,

I am on a vigil here now as the car is sitting at the shop.
I told the guys 1 week to have the balancer back and now that is not going to happen.

I cut the tack welds but of course I can't get the two halves apart. If I could, maybe I could use a dremel to clean up the beltway. Bummer.

They did say the timing ring would be ok

Hopefully, some total enthusiast will chime in a let me know he has a rebuildable one sitting around.

Cheers
Bernie

Old 05-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by razorboy
Well it comes to this.
These pics show what I have been up against with this XJ since the beginning. The level of craftsmanship just cannot be talked about enough. Gee, I wonder why the pulley was wobbling?
Hmmm. Maybe I'm confused (referring to level of craftsmanship) ... that's not a stock damper as it comes from the factory or a rebuilder ... looks like someone tacked the two halves together as some sort of "fix" to a de-lamed damper?

Might try the Dale at Dale Manufacturing, in Salem, Oregon (hbrepair.com) or Damper Doctor.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Originally Posted by caldercay
Might try the Dale at Dale Manufacturing, in Salem, Oregon (hbrepair.com) or Damper Doctor.
Ditto on damperdoctor.com

Don

Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,050 Likes on 2,029 Posts

When I'm looking for something specific and I need it quickly, try here: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

It's wreckers who list what they have. It's listed as crank pulley, I see lots of "call" for prices, but 2 at $60 and $65.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I have used BOTH Dale and damper doctor..
Dale is a little less expensive but not operating all year. Dale closes every few months so you need to time the shipping for repair.
harmonicbalancer - Page: 25 of 27

The damper you have is probably damaged beyond repair but you might send it to see if it can be 'cut apart' and rebuilt.

Jaguar has discontinued this part (NLA) so a used one is the best option.

bob gauff

Old 05-05-2014, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by caldercay
Hmmm. Maybe I'm confused (referring to level of craftsmanship) ... that's not a stock damper as it comes from the factory or a rebuilder ... looks like someone tacked the two halves together as some sort of "fix" to a de-lamed damper?

Haha,

Yes I did confuse you.
I was referring to the craftsmanship of the previous owner and not Jaguar. Sorry about that.

Ok, I was able to grind off all the welds.
I spent an hour with a dremel, rat-tail files and sandpaper and I have all the serpentine channels looking smooth. Anything that looked knife-edged from the botched job I had to lower a little. I figure the belt will just ride over the one or two low spots.

Its all cleaned up and ready to be shipped off to Dale tomorrow. That's who I have been dealing with all along. He can repair it further he told me if it needs it and will also braze the timing wheel crack. Runs cost of rebuild up some more but not worth mentioning since guys that I spoke to today were wanting two or three hundred dollars for a used one. Funny where the price goes when you are desperate

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on everything guys. I was freaking out a little thinking I was either going to have to pay through the nose or make the shop wait for the part which isn't fair to them. Their job is not to wait for a customer to rebuild parts. They bring them in, repair them and send them out. Having them hold my car for a week so I can save money on a part is pretty damn cool I think?

Cheers
Bernie

Old 05-06-2014, 05:46 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by razorboy
Its all cleaned up and ready to be shipped off to Dale tomorrow. That's who I have been dealing with all along. He can repair it further he told me if it needs it and will also braze the timing wheel crack.
Dale rebuild my damper back in Oct 2013. Great person to work with and great turnaround time. Quite literally, I mailed it off 2-day USPS on Monday morning, and it was back to me by the following Friday. Workmanship is spot-on!

The following users liked this post:
BigBossRadio (05-06-2014)