XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Introduction and 1st Jag

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 PM
Received 285 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Introduction and 1st Jag

I just picked up a 1995 XJ6. Just a bit over 72,000 miles. Paid $2850.00 and I feel well bought. I wanted this year for the best of the 3-year X300 run but, the shorter version of the three years. I don't have a need for extra passenger room.

Good:
Same caring owner for the past 7 years
Plenty of maintenance receipt.
Low miles
4 Brand new Goodyear Assurance all season tires
All electrics work including sunroof, windows, locks, radio, clock, etc...
New battery this January
Heat and AC work
Radio and it's antenna work
Seat adjustment and heaters work
Recent new exhaust
Engine compartment is spotless
All original manuals

Not So Good
Peeling clear coat (yes, they all do it and I knew this going into it)
Sagging headliner. Same as above
Check engine light is on. Owner said it tested as the secondary air pump???
Broken cup holder
A rust spot about the size of a roll of quarters on the driver's rear wheel well
Missing one center cap
Probably needs shocks. Seller says it sometimes "clunks" or rear bushings
Has a VERY SLIGHT shake around 60 mph on the test drive

I hope this treats me better than my last British experience, a 2002 P38 Range Rover..

I will take my time cleaning, changing fluids, belts and possibly hoses. Have the "clunk" and shake looked into and buy an OBDII code reader so I can look into that CEL. Eventually the car will get a complete re-spray to address the rust and clear coat issues.

I am sure this site, much like my BMW and Mercedes sites will be a wealth of info.

Attached Thumbnails Introduction and 1st Jag-00a0a_j0hloz3nwop_1200x900.jpg   Introduction and 1st Jag-00606_9g6s7bdflg4_1200x900.jpg   Introduction and 1st Jag-00m0m_2uglcaymi02_1200x900.jpg   Introduction and 1st Jag-00i0i_95n7jk3eo6l_1200x900.jpg   Introduction and 1st Jag-00f0f_kozliunymju_1200x900.jpg  

Old 04-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Congratulations and welcome aboard.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Congrats and welcome aboard. Be sure to post in the New Members section so a Mod can take notice of you and upgrade you to full member status when you meet all of the pre-req's. + it's one of the rules. You could actually copy and paste this post over there as it is a fabulous intro.

P0411 is the likely code illuminating your CEL if it is really a secondary air problem. The air pumps are prone to not run on these....not a problem if you don't have a bothersome and meddling state inspection (pronounced "tax") that takes a dim view of illuminated caution lights. It won't affect driveability in the least, and if you get an ELM327 BT or wireless OBDII adapter paired to your phone it is easy to clear on the odd 2-6 times per month it lights up. If you have to have it, I believe the pump is common to some model Corvette, and possibly other GM models and can be had for less than the $100+ you'll find the Jag version listed for. A search on "Air Pump" or "P0411" in this forum should yield the answer.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

The headliner can be held in a lot of places by little thumb tacks. You can even paint them to match the roof if you'd like, it's what was done to my XJ6 and it looks just fine.

The cup holders are known to be crap, no worries there - you can probably grab one online but my solution was simply to take out the spring and wedge in the cover in a way that it could be opened by hand. Not sure if that applies to yours!

The center caps can be had (for a pack of 4) for like $15 on eBay. You may need to DIY them to fit but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Enjoy your XJ6 X300! Carnival Red is quite the sight on the road, and your paint looks a lot better than mine!

Old 04-27-2017, 05:26 PM

I had a headliner do the same thing in a 2002 Range Rover that I owned. It is only sagging a little in the back so tacking it up may be a good temp solution.

Carnival read huh? That's a heck of a name. Is that the factory name for the color?

First things inspected will be the belts, coolant flushed and a fresh oil change, new wiper, new air filter and possibly new plugs depending on their condition. I normally do a compression test on all me new cars but, given what I have read on the reliability of the 6 as well as only having 72,000 miles I would be surprised if anything was out of the ordinary.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 84 Likes on 40 Posts

thats an amazing price

i got my 96 vanden plas 4.0 Usa vin 7 for free
had 159k miles on it 7 years ago ( maybe less i am a stoner)

i now have 220k miles and quite a few problems
i will invest around 2k to make it my daily driver again ( sitting last year)
let us all know of any problems / solutions you encounter

Im in the process of ordering some parts and will make some d.i.y for dummies so go ahead and read them if you need any help.

here is a list of what is to come from me in the next month or so. (d.i.y's)

driver side Door panel replacement
driver side Window regulator replacement
driver side door lack replacement
driver side door cable replacement
driver side door lock micro switch replacement
driver side door window replacement
driver side Locking fixing ( will not lock or cycles locks before locking)
Body control module Checking and replacement if necessary
Sunroof Not closing or off track Fix
Hood (bonnet) support shocks replacement
Power steering pump replacement
All power steering hose replacement
power steering reservoir replacement
rack n pinion replacement
tie rod end replacement
battery replacement
water pump replacement
Radiator replacement
all coolant hose replacement
coolant temp sensor replacement
Valve cover replacement
Tune up package Info and replacement / cleaning of all parts necessary

you can check the threads for many d.i.ys i love this site and hope to see you around

Old 04-28-2017, 02:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah carnival red is the factory name of the red paint seen on '96 model years. I believe the red for '95 models was called "Flamenco Red." Someone more experienced than me with the colors for these cars would have to let you know for sure! The paint code should be on the VIN panel on the inside of your door.

Sounds like you'll have your work cut out for you! These cars are a pleasure to drive when they do work though, so enjoy the experience. You drive a Jaaaaaag now. Lol.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:55 PM

Had a chance to get more into the car.

The front wheel bearings have been replaced, upper rear shock mounts replaced but will probably need bottom ones or new shocks as it still has some rear clunking.

The plugs have been replaced, throttle linkage lubed and the MAF cleaned.

Every single thing inside the car operates as it should which is nice. Oh, except the telescoping steering wheel which I have read is a common fault.

I did find that the upper radiator isolator bushing are shot and I need two trunk lights. No idea why but, they have been removed.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Red for the X300

Carnival Red 1995> (Paint Code CFS-JBC No 811)
Flamenco 1996> (Paint Code CFH-JBC No 765) introduced for the 96MY
Morocco Red 1995> (Paint Code CFG-JBC No 778)
Signal Red 1995> (Paint Code CFC-JBC No 748)

bob

Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
I did find that the upper radiator isolator bushing are shot and I need two trunk lights. No idea why but, they have been removed.
Great work, but dig deeper.....I'd bet you need a full set of A/C condenser bushes! And if your lowers have departed, it won't be long until you'll need a new A/C condenser to go with the new bushes.

Uppers available (along with the radiator bushes) from Rock Auto for near pennies. Lowers a bit more pricey and hard to find anywhere but the dealer's.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:15 AM

I just ordered the uppers last night from Rock Auto. Unfortunately they are made by Uro, along with a new cup holder, and well known by my Mercedes and BMW forums to be utter crap.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Aholbro1 beat me to it, but dont forget the lower radiator and condenser bushes. The condenser is doomed if they arent in good shape!

Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

Good point, CountyJag.....I didn't call out the lower rad's because they are a common p/n to the uppers. I forget that not everyone, and especially newbies, would look at that installation and conclude, "Yeah, there's probably two more just like that down under and probably even more rotten!"