XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Left rear door won't open using inner/outer door handle

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Left rear door won't open using inner/outer door handle

I've searched this forum for a solution, but can't find anything similar to my scenario ... if there is a post someone knows of, please point it out. Otherwise:

Not long ago, I pulled on the outer door handle to open the left-rear door and the door didn't open. I opened the right-rear door, reached across to pull on the (left rear) inner door open handle - door won't open.

After pulling on the outer door handle a number of times (in the hopes of getting the door to open), the handle is now very loose and a simple flick of a little finger can pull on the handle - it's obviously completely disconnected from the door latch mechanism.

The inner door-open-handle still works. Check the following image - when I pull on the handle, the cable pulls as expected on the piece that the red arrow points to and it rotates, but the door will not open. I've fumbled around with my fingers in that area to unlatch the door, but nothing gives. That piece that rotates obviously must "push" against the un-latch mechanism, but doesn't.

Any ideas?

Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 AM
Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

what about central lock? are you sure that one works on that door? because if it doesn't you might not be able to open it because of that, if my memory serves me well

Old 11-23-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by FireCrow
what about central lock? are you sure that one works on that door? because if it doesn't you might not be able to open it because of that, if my memory serves me well
Thanks for the response. Yes, lock/unlock mechanism works.

I've checked the shop manual to see how the door [un]latch mechanism works, but there isn't any detail or graphic showing how it works.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Your problem might be with the electric locking module (in the door).I have had the same problem and the locking button would rise then go back down,I soaked the unit with wd40 and held the locking button up with a pair of pliers then used the inside handle to open the door. Once open i checked the child safety unit to make sure it was working corectly (it was). It worked well for about a week then the problem returned,I then changed the electric module and it has worked fine since then. I believe there is some corrosion inside the module that was causing the problem.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having the same issue with my XJR except with the Drivers side door. The dealer will fix it for a cool Grand if I can get the car there.

TM

Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lumppy47
Your problem might be with the electric locking module (in the door).I have had the same problem and the locking button would rise then go back down,I soaked the unit with wd40 and held the locking button up with a pair of pliers then used the inside handle to open the door. Once open i checked the child safety unit to make sure it was working corectly (it was). It worked well for about a week then the problem returned,I then changed the electric module and it has worked fine since then. I believe there is some corrosion inside the module that was causing the problem.
Thanks.

The locking mechanism fully unlocks as it should. To be sure, I pulled up on the knob fully ... it's fully unlocked, yet the door won't open. I may open up the right side rear door panel to see how the door-open mechanism is supposed to work.

One thing i haven't done ... i should check the microfiche i have for the car to see if there's a parts figure with the mechanism in an exploded view.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blast from the past I know, but did you ever fix this?