XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Locks & Security Not Working After Body Processor Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locks & Security Not Working After Body Processor Unit Replacement

Hi All,

I recently had all of the tell-tale symptoms of a failed Body Processor Unit and thanks to the posts on this forum and the help of David Boger I was able to zero in on the problem and get a nice used unit from David and did the replacement.

As soon as the unit was installed the car immediately fired up and all is well and everything is working again with the exception of the the electric locks and security system.

I have nothing at all for either. My key fobs aren't working since there isn't any power to the locks and even using the key only unlocks the door manually and doesn't engage anything powerwise. So reprogramming them isn't a solution.

The trunk release and the lock switch on the dash are dead as well. Needless to say there is no security system with that lovely chirp we are all so used to.

I am assuming the the body processor unit controls the locks as well as the myriad other things that stopped working when it died.

Did I perhaps miss a step in the installation of the replacement unit? Could the demise of the original BPU cause an issue with the locks and security system?

I checked the fuses for the locks and everything seems to be in order.

If anyone can offer any advice it would be most appreciated. I'm getting too old to stretch into the backseat to unlock the doors, Ha!

Thanks!

Rick

Old 09-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I've not read your past posts on your issues, but I suspect we share the same symptoms.

My issues surfaced, literally, from one day's drive to the next - not literally one day to the next day, since my Jag is not driven on a daily basis. I park it one day, then days later (maybe a week?) I get in and, pretty much, everything electrical was at issue.

No start, no power locking features (dash and button on trunk fascia), i think maybe no horn or was it no radio?, i think no interior fan motor, and a number of other things - I'd have to read my past forum posts to recall.

Anyway, I originally thought the battery was at fault, so I had to open the trunk gangster style (the physical lock is in non-working condition) and checked the battery - all good.

So, all signs pointed to the BPM, which I replaced, and I'm back to a "starts and runs and some of the electrical is solved", but I'm still without central locking - I have to use the key to open the door and I still can't get into the trunk without using a thin rod through a license plate mounting hole to trip the locking mechanism.

I've been procrastinating heavily as of late with the Jag, but I think my central locking issue is due to a faulty SLCM - security and locking control module found in the trunk below the fuel filler neck. I find it odd that both modules went south at the same time.

Maybe that's your issue as well?

Old 09-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think our cars may be evil twins!

EXACTLY the same situation here.

I parked her at night and next morning, no start and no way to get into trunk to check battery. I tried the idea of jumping the trunk lock thinking it was the battery but no luck.

The key finally opened the trunk after what seemed to be a million tries with lots of WD-40. Battery was ok but I topped it up with the charger but still nothing. By the way using the key on the trunk still takes forever so I have left it unlatched for now so I can at least access the trunk.

After a lot of online research I determined it was the BPU and I was able to obtain a very reasonably priced one from David Boger at Everyday XJ. Popped in in and ta-da, a living, breathing Jaguar! EXCEPT no locks or security. Can't reprogram the fobs since there is nothing to reprogram, lacking power.

I agree that it's odd that both the BPU and the SLCM would go out simultaneously. I thought perhaps I did something wrong installing the BPU. Should I have disconnected the battery first? Should I have disconnected it after installation to reboot or reset the unit? I didn't do either because I was anxious to get it in and get the car going again.

I thought about disconnecting the battery now to see if it would help but I'm paranoid that it might mess something up and I don't want to end up back at square one.

So like you and your evil twin car I have no locks either. Not quite sure how to replace the SLCM or if I want to just yet. Throwing parts at a problem can get expensive, especially if it doesn't solve the problem.

I was hoping to have someone on here chime in and tell me I overlooked something simple and help solve the dilemma. It appears that quite a few folks have read the post but only you, another poor soul with the same issue, have responded.

I would think that with this many users over all these years someone would have had this problem crop up.

Let's keep our fingers crossed someone has a simple solution before we sink money into a SLCM.

Best of luck!

PS: Solve our mystery first and I'll buy you a pint!

Old 04-23-2024, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by absoluteze
I think our cars may be evil twins!

EXACTLY the same situation here.

I parked her at night and next morning, no start and no way to get into trunk to check battery. I tried the idea of jumping the trunk lock thinking it was the battery but no luck.

The key finally opened the trunk after what seemed to be a million tries with lots of WD-40. Battery was ok but I topped it up with the charger but still nothing. By the way using the key on the trunk still takes forever so I have left it unlatched for now so I can at least access the trunk.

After a lot of online research I determined it was the BPU and I was able to obtain a very reasonably priced one from David Boger at Everyday XJ. Popped in in and ta-da, a living, breathing Jaguar! EXCEPT no locks or security. Can't reprogram the fobs since there is nothing to reprogram, lacking power.

I agree that it's odd that both the BPU and the SLCM would go out simultaneously. I thought perhaps I did something wrong installing the BPU. Should I have disconnected the battery first? Should I have disconnected it after installation to reboot or reset the unit? I didn't do either because I was anxious to get it in and get the car going again.

I thought about disconnecting the battery now to see if it would help but I'm paranoid that it might mess something up and I don't want to end up back at square one.

So like you and your evil twin car I have no locks either. Not quite sure how to replace the SLCM or if I want to just yet. Throwing parts at a problem can get expensive, especially if it doesn't solve the problem.

I was hoping to have someone on here chime in and tell me I overlooked something simple and help solve the dilemma. It appears that quite a few folks have read the post but only you, another poor soul with the same issue, have responded.

I would think that with this many users over all these years someone would have had this problem crop up.

Let's keep our fingers crossed someone has a simple solution before we sink money into a SLCM.

Best of luck!

PS: Solve our mystery first and I'll buy you a pint!

Had my 96 Vanden Plas have the exact same symptoms last fall. Didn't do enough forum researc at the time so I had it fixed at the local dealer. 2 months and $1300 later and I got my car back running but the power locks not working just as you both had described. I don't have the time to tinker, so I just lived with it and randomly a few weeks after getting it back and daily driving it, the power locks, power trunk lid, alarm, and key fob all started working. Out of the blue. Stored it for the worst of winter and after driving it about a month the Body Processor Unit (body control module) went out again! same exact symptoms so I knew what it was. Bought one form ebay for $110 and about 1 hours work after it arrived and I'm back to a driving Jag... without power locks and such...

I know this was a while ago but if anyone can help, it would be appreciated. It is frustrating not having power locks and trunk.