XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New Comer - Looking For Answers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Comer - Looking For Answers

Hello,

I am a new comer to this forum, but I am a former service engineer for Jaguar Cars (North America) so I am familiar with the product line. I have always had a soft spot for the Jags, but I always wished for more performance, especially in the way of a manual gearbox. I am looking to convert a 1996 XJR (X300) to a Ford Cobra (Supercharged 4.6L DOHC) engine and T56 manual transmission. I am having a hard time locating a clutch pedal assembly from a European XJ6 variant that used the 5 speed manual gearbox. Can anyone please advise where I can find this piece? Any sources or parts dealers over seas that you know of? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cory

Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome, it's good to hail such talented persons like you .
Your project is fantastic and you can't see such cars with that combination .

You can check out Duckworth one of our vendors
off the site :
www.britishcars.co.uk

and www.ebay.co.uk

I don't know any other sources outside the US

Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Outside US would be your best bet for manual Jags. Try Eurojag in England or any other Jag breaker in the UK - or even ebay in UK.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That should be a very interesting build!! Will the motor fit in the XJ? It makes me kind of sad to hear someone converting a XJR. They are a low number car and getting harder and harder to find. What power #s are you looking at from the Ford motor? Also, will that be an electrical nightmare?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The 5-speed gearbox you refer to was either the British Leyland box used also in, (I think) Rover cars or the Getrag. the first was commonly fitted to the XJ6 Series 3 but only with the 3.4 litre engine. Most people took the auto just like the US. I would think there are very few around, certainly all US cars were autos. The German Getrag 5-speed boxes were fitted to the XJS model, again in Europe etc, but not the US.

So as other posters have said, you need to search outside the US - eBay ??

Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 AM

All,

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the pedal box is cast with the pedal and master cylinder bosses just not machined out (can see the parting lines....) So I will probable just modify the stock box. As far as the engine goes, being the DOHC model it is a little wider than the 4.0/4.2 used in the later XJ8 (X308). I do believe (haven't confirmed....) that is is narrower than the V12 offered in the 1995 XJR. I will probable make a custom clutch pedal and use aftermarket (Tilton, Wilwood) master and throwout so aid in the clutch apply "tuning". I will be using a T56 that can handle the anticipated power. The motor that is going together is a fully forged piece that in the end (with Kennebell 2.3L supercharger) should be making 550hp and do it all day long.... I will be using the stock ECIV Ford ECM and wiring in a standalone mode. These were the last of the "analog" cars prior to Jag introducing the SCP and CAN networks. So the instrument cluster just needs to have senders adapted and a tachometer recalibration (the new motor is capable of 7500 rpm redline). As far as people's concern of using an XJR, they have the visual cues I am looking for. I will be upgrading the brakes and suspension as well by adapting Caddilac CTV Brembo setup. I am just making the car I wished the Brits had made when I was there....they just would never sacrifice any comfort for BMW killing performance.....

Cory

Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

welcome black_cat! We've got a few gearhead enthusiasts from the UK, my first thought was Xkracer, he's mainly in the xk8-xkr forum area, but he's huge into performance modifications of the jag and works in a business that does mainly that...and being in the UK, he's got lots of contacts and sources. Look him up in the member directory and see if he's got any recommendations for you in that search.

Enjoy the forum!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

i have been contemplating this same thing. I love my 96vdp but it sucks for power and is the only vehicle of 4 that doesnt have over 400 hp. I thought about a turbo setup, but i think Ide rather do a complete LS3-7 swap with trans and stand alone OBDII compliant ecu. But I would use the later XJR front subframe with large brakes already on, and its still a bolt up swap to the body. And that engine should fit fine since I know a big block chevy fits as well with all components including AC. But just sounds like you we're there in the FORD era and both are good choices with lots of aftermarket as well as factory support for performance

Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Yeah I am actually a GM guy and have been my whole life. I used to restore muscle cars prior to finishing my engineering degree and moving into a corporate role. I have secretly been interested in the 4.6 DOHC after having a bolt-on Lincoln MarkVIII for a daily driver. It really moved and was smooth. The aftermarket support is far better for this engine than any of the Jag based engines....much cheaper too! As far as the brakes, I have been helping my brother build a 1969 Camaro SS and we have been playing with different braking setups. We ended up with a Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear setup. We looked into the CTS-V parts from GM and they were quite resonable. I think I can make those fit without too much hassle. We'll see as this is all in the planning stages as I try and find the right XJR to start with. As soon as I pick one up tear down will begin...

Cory

Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

with all the changes, why not just a xj6 that would be cheaper?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Basically, the XJR has the exterior appearance that I want with the color scheme, mess grill inserts, badges, etc.... In addition, the XJR's I have found are the same price as a standard XJ6. The only thing that may tempt me from buying an R is that I could get a long wheel base for a decent rear leg room.

Cory