XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

No turnover/crank

Old 10-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No turnover/crank

OK guys my car 95 xj6 was hit on the passenger's side front fender.. Damaged some suspension parts as well.. Wheel is leaning in real bad.. Subsequently it has been totaled out but I bought it back from the insurance company. I'm sure I can fix the cosmetics.. My problem is that the car no longer turns over. As I turn the key I get nothing. The radio, interior lights , and anything else that comes on with the first click of the key works. But everything that's supposed to come on as you continue to turn the key forward doesn't.. I.e. dash light, car cranking, ac, etc.. I was told that a wire may have been pinched due to the harness running along inside that fender. I took the fender off and sure enough it was.. There was an orange wire inside of that plastic yellow wire covering that was almost severed.. I reconnected that but still couldn't get that secondary power as I turn the key to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thanx

Old 10-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 902 Likes on 511 Posts

There's a lot of important stuff on that side and it looks like it had a good whack so something could be broken or dislodged. Check

- Safety cut-out switch which is in that area in the cockpit (at it is least on RHD cars)
- Loom connections from the inside of the car to under the bonnet exit the cockpit just behind the side repeater on the wing
- Bulkhead power connection under the bonnet on that side
- Under bonnet fuse box on that side
- Relays and connectors behind the headlights (especially big white connector)
- and anything else you find in that vicinity

(The yellow sleeved cables are for the Air Bag system and won't impact on starting or anything else)

The following users liked this post:
goodgame (01-20-2017)
Old 10-10-2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by b1mcp
There's a lot of important stuff on that side and it looks like it had a good whack so something could be broken or dislodged. Check

- Safety cut-out switch which is in that area in the cockpit (at it is least on RHD cars)
- Loom connections from the inside of the car to under the bonnet exit the cockpit just behind the side repeater on the wing
- Bulkhead power connection under the bonnet on that side
- Under bonnet fuse box on that side
- Relays and connectors behind the headlights (especially big white connector)
- and anything else you find in that vicinity

(The yellow sleeved cables are for the Air Bag system and won't impact on starting or anything else)
OK. I'll continue to look for anything else broken or dislodged..

It's a LHD and I think the cut out switch is on that side. I hadn't checked it yet because I thought it only cut the fuel supply but I'll do that tomorrow. At least I know it's not in the yellow sleeve now thnx. I checked under the fuse box on that side everything seemed to be OK and receiving power. I'll keep you posted on the rest thanks again for the info. @b1mpc

Last edited by goodgame; 10-10-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The ECM fuse is a red 5amp fuse that is located in the passenger side engine bay.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by bandre2
The ECM fuse is a red 5amp fuse that is located in the passenger side engine bay.
I checked all of the fuses. None were blown.. @bandre2

Old 10-13-2016, 03:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Items to check
1.Transmission shifter in park.
2.Disconnect battery ground and touch ground cable to positive battery post. to reset alarm.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by bandre2
Items to check
1.Transmission shifter in park.
2.Disconnect battery ground and touch ground cable to positive battery post. to reset alarm.
Yes shifter is in park. No power going to the shifter switch so I had to manually release the shifter into neutral to tow the car..
The alarm is still working on the car as was before. I will try resetting it to see if anything changes. Thnx again. @bandre2

Old 10-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

You said in a previous post that you had checked the fuse box under the bonnet. Did you actually check on each circuit that there was power.

The fuse box receives power directly from the battery. There is a relay in the fuse box that turns on power to the fuse circuits. This relay is activated by a switched ground from Ign Switch Pos II.

The switched ground from Ign Switch is provided via the Inertia switch.

So can you confirm that you have actually tested individual fuses in the box and they are getting power?

What I would suggest is that you pick a single circuit that isn't working and use the Electrical Guides to trace power for that circuit all the way from the battery.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:03 PM

You said in a previous post that you had checked the fuse box under the bonnet. Did you actually check on each circuit that there was power.

The fuse box receives power directly from the battery. There is a relay in the fuse box that turns on power to the fuse circuits. This relay is activated by a switched ground from Ign Switch Pos II.

The switched ground from Ign Switch is provided via the Inertia switch.

So can you confirm that you have actually tested individual fuses in the box and they are getting power?

What I would suggest is that you pick a single circuit that isn't working and use the Electrical Guides to trace power for that circuit all the way from the battery.
No you're right in that I didn't check them individually. I only checked to see if any of the fuses were blown. I'll get on that this weekend.

Also I see that you refered to the ign switch being provided ground from the inertia switch if I'm not mistaken. I mention that to say that once in turn the key switch forward once I get power to the radio. But as I turn further towards the cranking position I'm not getting any response. No cluster lights, no gear shift release as I press the brakes, or anything else that should happen in that position. @b1mcp

Old 10-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps I didn't write it very clearly. The switched ground comes from the Ign Switch Pos II, to the Inertia Switch and then to the Fuse Box relays.

If you haven't already checked that Inertia Switch then do that first. It's looking like the prime suspect to me. Especially as the Alarm is still working as that is not controlled by the switch, and neither is anything on switch pos I.

bandre2 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:11 PM

Perhaps I didn't write it very clearly. The switched ground comes from the Ign Switch Pos II, to the Inertia Switch and then to the Fuse Box relays.

If you haven't already checked that Inertia Switch then do that first. It's looking like the prime suspect to me. Especially as the Alarm is still working as that is not controlled by the switch, and neither is anything on switch pos I.
Ok thanx . Will do..

Old 10-14-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah - I have hit bumps before that tripped my inertia switch.

But that suspension damage is what scares me - yikes !

Keep us posted.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

And to her credit -- no glass broken, looks like !

Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by smartobject
Yeah - I have hit bumps before that tripped my inertia switch.

But that suspension damage is what scares me - yikes !

Keep us posted.
Yeah I know right. Bent the part where the ball joint connects to the spindle hub. And that's just what I can see easily

Old 10-15-2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by goodgame
Yeah I know right. Bent the zpart where the ball joint connects to the spindle hub. And that's just what I can see easily
@b1mcp @bandre2 @smartobject Yep the inertia switch did the trick.. Thanks to everyone's help.. Now on to the suspension.. Wish me luck..

Last edited by goodgame; 10-15-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Good to know it works as advertised, and not just going over bumps!
Good luck indeed with the suspension: I suspect the issue, if there is one, will be the body attachment points. She looks lovely, and well worth the effort.

goodgame (01-20-2017)