XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Not entering "learning mode" for key fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 07:16 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Not entering "learning mode" for key fob

Hey everyone,

I recently fixed all the wiring in my trunk! It took about 3 hours to do that and to repair the trunk sensor, but I did it. I was getting sick of using the key to unlock the boot, but there's another reason I needed to do it: to be able to program my key fob. I figured it wasn't entering programming/learning mode because it couldn't detect that the trunk was open. However, even now when I follow the procedure:
1. Open trunk and driver's side door
2. Insert key and switch to "on" position; wait until dash lights go out
3. Rock valet switch 5 times; system will chirp (or flash headlights)

It won't go into learning mode. I have also tried pressing the interior lock switch 5 times, as I read that in a guide somewhere (weird, but I tried it), but it didn't work either. What could the problem be?

The only error lights I have on the dash are for low washer fluid and a burnt out lightbulb somewhere, which isn't true and I figured it was the license plate lights, but those are now wired up.

Any ideas? I'd like to reduce wear on my door locks; the trunk was almost impossible to open after a month of using a freshly cut spare.

Thanks everyone!

Old 10-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Does your car make the chirping sounds when programming? My car has it turned off, and it made it really difficult to know when I was in programming mode. I had to do it at night so I could see the headlights flash. I also had to do the valet switch a bunch of times for it to go into programming mode.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by knightofgold
I also had to do the valet switch a bunch of times for it to go into programming mode.
I agree that the switches often become 'balky' and you need to rock the switch more than 5 times.

You might need to speed up the 'rocking-rate' or slow down.
It can be frustrating to get the speed AND number of on/off just right.

You must also verify that the switch is even working.

I had to remove the switch from one customer car and use a short length of wire to 'short' across the wires in the console cubby (bad switch) and pulse the system that way.

Also make sure the driver's door latch switch is operating. Does the interior light come on when the door is opened?????????

Driver's door open and boot lid open are requirements to ready the system for configuring the key fob transmitters. Either latch switch INOP will cause a FAIL.

bob gauff

Old 10-18-2015, 09:47 AM

Yes, I have done it at night and also had my brother look to see if the headlights would flash.

The interior light comes on for both the boot and the driver's side door. I made sure of that.

Interesting, I figured it would have to be exactly 5 times... I suppose I could just try again and press it 10 times quickly. Approximately how long should the button be held down for it to register? do I just have to keep on using trial and error?

Thanks guys. I'm excited about ironing out a lot of the kinks my car had. Now I just have to find a bad relay and install better speakers and stereo, then the old girl will be ready to have her paint refinished by me! Hopefully in asking all these questions and exploring my car, I find some things to share with all of you.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:37 PM

I tried 5 times in a row today with no results. I sped it up, slowed it down, tried holding the valet switch for longer etc... no results. How can I verify that the valet switch works? I don't have a valet key.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2015, 05:57 PM

Alright, so I realize asking how to check if it went into Valet mode was stupid of me...

I pressed the switch while the car was off (and also while it was on position II but not running) but the interior button still unlocked the trunk. I tried several times. Oddly enough, the exterior button has stopped working but I'm going to attribute that to bad wiring on my part, even though it worked this morning...

Is there a wire connected to the trunk that would affect the valet switch? The system senses when the trunk is open, and the interior release still works. AFAIK right now, the valet switch is not working, what could be causing that? I'll check up on it when I remove the ski slope.

Thanks all

Old 10-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I just kept hitting the valet switch until my car went into learning mode. I didn't keep track of how many times, but it was a lot.

As for the wiring, I know that the wires on the right hand side going into the trunk lid tend to break. That is where the trunk unlock electrical mechanism is.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:31 PM

I just repaired those wires a few nights ago. Everything is working--trunk lights, license plate lights, and both trunk releases (until now). There seemed to be more wires than necessary which is why I asked if I crossed one the wrong way and it's affecting valet mode... it's a stretch, I know.

I've tried hitting it 20 times. I thought I would need to pause for learning mode to activate, as I've seen this in a video: a very clear 2 or 3 second delay between pressing the buttons and the learning mode activating. I also thought the buttons had to be pressed within a 5 second period, but I guess this is false?

Can I press it a bunch of times, maybe 4 times at 5 presses each? It seems the switch may not even be working at this point, which is strange...

Thank you!

Old 10-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,
Did you ever figure this out? I recently had to reprogram my remotes and had a similar problem. I would not get the "chirp". So I just went ahead and pressed the remote button and the system chirped and the programming worked. Programming both remotes worked the same way each time. I didn't get the chirp until pressing the button on the remote.
It is strange how this doesn't always work well and I can only assume that it is due to not using the Valet button often or the fact that the sequence required so many different inputs.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Axle
Hi,
Did you ever figure this out? I recently had to reprogram my remotes and had a similar problem. I would not get the "chirp". So I just went ahead and pressed the remote button and the system chirped and the programming worked. Programming both remotes worked the same way each time. I didn't get the chirp until pressing the button on the remote.
It is strange how this doesn't always work well and I can only assume that it is due to not using the Valet button often or the fact that the sequence required so many different inputs.
Still no luck. I have tried pressing the button on the fob in every way possible. No idea why the valet button would ever cease to work but that may be the case for me. I would love for this to start working though!

Old 10-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Malahide, the valet switch on my car stopped working because the plastic legs inside the switch were broken.
I dismantled the switch & shorted across the contacts to enter the learning mode.
Perhaps you should first operate the valet switch & then see if you can open the boot with the button.
If you can still open the boot with the button then there is something amiss with the valet button or circuit.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tipptone
Hi Malahide, the valet switch on my car stopped working because the plastic legs inside the switch were broken.
I dismantled the switch & shorted across the contacts to enter the learning mode.
Perhaps you should first operate the valet switch & then see if you can open the boot with the button.
If you can still open the boot with the button then there is something amiss with the valet button or circuit.
That's a good idea. I couldn't get the switch to work (release button still worked) so I'll take it apart and have a look. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You must also verify that the switch is even working.

I had to remove the switch from one customer car and use a short length of wire to 'short' across the wires in the console cubby (bad switch) and pulse the system that way.

bob gauff
If the switch is not working then you can short across the terminals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff

Old 10-21-2015, 12:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope this question is not too stupid, because my Valet button is for the "door locks".
This button only seems to work for the doors when the key is on.
Do your doors unlock with this button with all four door closed?
I'm pretty sure that they are using the door lock input for the programming sequence.
If your door locks are working then it's safe to assume the Valet switch is working.

I don't even want to ask it the lights on the key fob blink when the buttons are pressed. I had to clean a fobs internal board and the switches on the board. I had put in new batteries but the lights would not blink. Have you tried both fobs?
Just trying to help.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:32 AM

Thanks everyone!!!

I took apart the centre console and found that the wire leading to the valet button was all taped up... I removed the tape and noticed there was a small wire unplugged--not sure if it was even related, to be honest. Anyway, I reassembled everything and did the procedure again. It worked! My key fob works! (albeit from a short distance... oh, the 90s)

Thanks again everyone! I'm really glad I was able to finally get this working!