XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Ok Im gonna Fix the 96 Jag VDP! Help me Help you!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Received 84 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Ok Im gonna Fix the 96 Jag VDP! Help me Help you!

OK so first off the car is

1996 jaguar vanden plas usa 7 vin 220,999 miles

The car has sat over a year now!
I have owned the car for over 7 years now!
I have neglected this beauty and want to get her all sexy again!
I will make very detailed D.I.Y for all the repairs i end up completing!
Before i get my hand dirty i would like to Re inform myself of the jag and any required info before hand!

Lets start off with a List of problems i have found but are not limited too (lmao)

Check engine light is on for past 7 years but i pass smog if i clear the
CEL
I forgot the code but will pull it asap ( if i remember correct cats are clogged)

The Headlight do not function properly!
With the headlights in off position and i press the key FOB the heads should flash. Only one head light is flashing! When i turn my headlights on both turn on!

The front driver side door will not open from inside ( broken cable)
The front driver side door cycles the lock up and down and never locks ( micro switch)

There is a coolant leak from somewhere (I all new coolant system) ( i never changed any of it)

Power steering is broken. Rack n pinion, check hoses n res, rebuild pump

where are the tune up locations i need to pay close attention to?
any suggestions on what else i should fix as regular care because i neglected all of it

Old 04-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

The door cable can had for 40 dollars for you probably don't need the whole handle assembly . In a pinch both left and right front door cables are 21 inches from the handle hook to the cable swedge end and can be swapped and later replaced as the part arrives . I have the part number and source somewhere and will have to find it . Might be worth swapping to get rid of the present announce . The aft door cables may be usable if you measure them without actually removing them . The longer wheel base models like the Vande Plas and the X330 have an extra 6 inch length to the rear door that may effect the total cable length . Penelope is a short wheelbase so I can't tell what your length is . As you replace them take care not to lose the aft cable end stay pinch clip and the forward cable end thin metal clip . If you break the forward one I fashioned one out of twisted wire from the hardware store .

As to the check engine light along with the security module controlled door lock and headlight cycle . Might try a " Hard Reset " or reboot but the ECU will have to relearn through driving some operating parameters so it may be rough and disappointing for a while until it relearns . There is a thing about the Radio will need to have the individual security code reinstalled before it will power up but I have not experience that but the code should be available from a dealer ( I read that may not be supported as Jaguar's kept records now though ). Hard Reset worked for me with Security Module issues . Not saying that it will fix all three items but is a way to address them as 1 step before further troubleshooting .

Thank , Joe

The following users liked this post:
vandenplas408 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

GNA1101BFCBL for front doors cable only . Back doors unknown . Welsh Enterprises , Ohio . Link to website .

Welsh Enterprises, Inc - Jaguar XJ6(95-97) / X300 Body Fittings Rear Doors Parts - XJ6 95-97 Front Door Handle Repair Cable

Attached Thumbnails Ok Im gonna Fix the 96 Jag VDP! Help me Help you!-jaguar-gna-1101-bf-cbl.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
vandenplas408 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 AM

ok So ive been so busy lately but have started to order some parts and hit the junk yard !

SO far i got

Used door panels , trim for driver door
Used Door Cable
Used Micro Switch door lock assembly
used hood shocks

Brand new
rack n pinion
lower and upper rad hoses

What i am going to order next

all power steering hoses
power steering res

any source for good cheap parts would be amazing
i can get all 4 hoses for around $250 new

Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 AM

power steering hoses come today

Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 PM

hoses r in

Old 04-28-2017, 10:46 PM

ok i took some pics (mostly by myself) and will make a d.i.y

I took out the window regulator and window to replace the door locking mechanism (micro switch?)

Before the repair My driver door would not lock
when you press the lock button on the fob the locks would cycle up and down over and over. all would lock but the driver side. my door cable was also broken so i replaced it as well since i could not open the door from the inside. If i make this my daily driver again im gonna need it to be locked!

I replaced the micro switch and everything works amazing now, ill make the d.i.y asap

i have a big problem i forgot about as well tho!
The driver side door latch ( keeps door from closing on you when open) has PULLED THREW THE METAL! it has a huge whole and has nothing to clamp to! i have seen this problem on all the jags at the junk yard now that i remember! any fix for this?

Old 04-28-2017, 11:58 PM

96 Vdp 4.0 vin 7 usa LHD <br/>Driver side Door latch problem

Old 04-29-2017, 12:02 AM

TOP ONE IS OLD<br/>Bottom is the one im installing<br/>differ color but oh well