XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

power steering leaking (i.e. pouring)

Old 06-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering leaking (i.e. pouring)

Hi guys. My only post here was on 11-11-14 called Pre-purchase inspection. Y'all gave me a lot of great advice, and I've been very lucky so far. All I've had to do really was glue some loose parts. I've never owned a car in which I got SO MANY compliments. I've been so lucky with it up until now.
Just recently, the car started to lose PS fluid, and a lot of it. So I essentially put 8 oz in it every time I go somewhere. So yes, that's stupid.
I put the car up on jacks and got under it. With the car running, I could see clean, clear fluid pouring from a part that essentially connects the steering wheel rod to (forgive me) some silver cylinder looking part that has some 1/2 inch tubing connects to. I took some pictures.

Of course the picture is sideways. Turn your screen counter clockwise and you'll see how the (black) rod hits the silver part. THAT'S where it leaks.
I don't know what that part is or if I can fix it.
In my previous post, the dealership said I'd need a "rail" and I don't know if it's a rail or not.
Any suggestions on getting this fixed? I'd love to see an exploded graphic of this system. Thank you very much.
Bob

Old 06-25-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 12,717 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Hi contraflow,

It's a good idea to add your car's year, model and engine displacement to your signature line so other members don't have to ask, but assuming your car is a 1995-1997 XJ6 (Jaguar factory project code X300), the parts you are describing are the lower steering column:

And the steering rack:

I just grabbed these diagrams from jaguarclassicparts.com, the parts service of the Jaguar Daimler Heritage trust, which is a great place to view parts diagrams and look up part numbers.

I can't be certain from your description, but it sounds as though your steering rack is leaking fluid either at the pinion seal or possibly at one of the fittings for the hydraulic lines that connect to the rack in that area.

Is it possible that what the dealership told you was that you needed a new steering rack?

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (06-30-2015), contraflow (06-28-2015), MountainMan (06-30-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 04:55 PM

Hi Don. Yes it's a 95 VandenPlas. I believe you're correct. That's what I believe, that it's leaking from the pinion seal. The diagram does not point to, nor identify the silver cylinder, but it looks like it's a part of the rack.
(On a side note, I wonder why the dealership referred to it as a "rail.")

So is this something that I can do? I saw online some companies have rebuilt PS racks for sale.

I appreciate your help. I know I'll be back as I plan to start replacing a few parts, like belts and such.
best,
Bob

Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

steering rack n pinion are serviceable, repair kit parts are available, generally its the seal that needs to be address and the subsequent interior Teflon seals needs to be replaced, and if the piston shaft shows sign of deep scratches or corrosion, that may need to be replace too. I posted an official ZF rack n pinion exploded view in order for easy guide on dismantling and assembling, check the forum for it.

The following users liked this post:
contraflow (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 11:17 AM

Hi Cool. Thanks for the information.

I thought I was pretty good at using the search function on this type of forum. Sadly, I am unable to find the post you're referring to. I typed all the right keywords and can't find it. I'll keep trying though. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Received 12,717 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Originally Posted by contraflow
I thought I was pretty good at using the search function on this type of forum. Sadly, I am unable to find the post you're referring to. I typed all the right keywords and can't find it. I'll keep trying though. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks.

Bob,

The basic search function leaves a lot to be desired. You can try the Advanced Search function under the Tools tab, or use Google, which is very good at returning results in the J-F forum. A last resort would be to click on cool's name and then select "Find all posts by cool," but sifting through all his posts could be laborious. Maybe cool will be able to provide us with a direct link to his earlier post.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (06-30-2015), contraflow (06-28-2015), MountainMan (06-30-2015)