XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy radio problem

When I turn on the radio, it shows power to the unit, but the antenna doesn't go up and I just get some crackling sounds. if I put in a tape, it just flips back and forth between side 1 and side 2. If I eject the tape and leave the tape in and leave the radio and ignition on, after about one hour, the antenna goes up and the radio works perfectly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts

Attached Thumbnails radio problem-contentimage-630-81367-ewastedumpster81112.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Yeah, this series of AJ (Alpine/Jaguar) radios is pretty bad. Over the years I've bought a few used spares and eventually they all ended up in the trash, as did the original.

I tried having one of 'em fixed at the only Alpine repair station I could find that was willing to even give it it try. They couldn't fix it.

You can try to find a good used one but, even if it's fully functional now, don't rely on it staying that way for long.

Or go to an aftermarket radio.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-31-2014, 02:01 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ack. Tapes. Yuck!

What I wouldn't give for an aux in port so I could plug my iPhone in and listen to my audiobooks - the tape converter I have currently gives loud alternator whine. Yes I know I should replace the head unit but mine is the premium system which means ripping the whole lot out

Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by zathras
Ack. Tapes. Yuck!

What I wouldn't give for an aux in port so I could plug my iPhone in and listen to my audiobooks - the tape converter I have currently gives loud alternator whine. Yes I know I should replace the head unit but mine is the premium system which means ripping the whole lot out

Couple of options, you could get one of these
Flexsmart units Flexsmart units
they work really well and give you bluetooth ability to stream music and have handsfree calling on your iPhone. Sound quality is better than the standard radio but not quite CD quality. I use one which I swap back and forth in my XJ6 and XJS.

You definitely would not have to rip out everything if you went with an aftermarket head unit. You should be able to connect virtually any head unit to the Harmon Kardon amp so long as it has 4 channel low level outputs. You will lose the CD changer function but that's not much of a loss

Old 01-31-2014, 04:28 PM

Thanks for all your comments ( sarcastic as some of them have been! ). I' ve had this Jag since 2005 and I absolutely love it. Mechanically, it's probably been the best car I've ever owned; electrically not so! I'm a fixer and I get frustrated when something works intermittently. That tells me it can be fixed, and I am going to figure it out! But, I am thinking of trading it for an XK8!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

JagFan47, I'm with you on the XK8, I've had this immaculate XJ6L now for well over a year and I'm thinking of moving over to an XK8...just would prefer the coupe and they are like hens teeth. XJ6L is a nice ride but a little too big now that the kids are grown.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by AllanG
Couple of options, you could get one of these Flexsmart units they work really well and give you bluetooth ability to stream music and have handsfree calling on your iPhone. Sound quality is better than the standard radio but not quite CD quality. I use one which I swap back and forth in my XJ6 and XJS.

You definitely would not have to rip out everything if you went with an aftermarket head unit. You should be able to connect virtually any head unit to the Harmon Kardon amp so long as it has 4 channel low level outputs. You will lose the CD changer function but that's not much of a loss
Thanks. I will have a look at the FM transmitter you listed, although previous experience with that type of transmitter was disappointing to say the least. Perhaps it just wasn't a strong enough transmitter.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zathras
Thanks. I will have a look at the FM transmitter you listed, although previous experience with that type of transmitter was disappointing to say the least. Perhaps it just wasn't a strong enough transmitter.
Yes I've had the same experience with other similar units. This one is different though, I do believe the transmitter is more powerful. I really like being able to move it easily from car to car and have streaming music and hands free calling. Call quality is very good in the XJ6 and XJS with the hood up and it automatically pipes through the car speakers. Worth a punt for $60.

I will say it's not the most beautiful thing you've ever seen though

The following users liked this post:
zathras (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 03:36 AM

Powered by the cigarette lighter? Hmmm. I need to rewire one of my sockets first then because I like to listen to audiobooks / podcasts during my lunch hour and the lighter socket only has power when the ignition is set to ON.

Originally Posted by AllanG
Yes I've had the same experience with other similar units. This one is different though, I do believe the transmitter is more powerful. I really like being able to move it easily from car to car and have streaming music and hands free calling. Call quality is very good in the XJ6 and XJS with the hood up and it automatically pipes through the car speakers. Worth a punt for $60.

I will say it's not the most beautiful thing you've ever seen though

Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been stung with intermittent operation of the antenna and radio in my RR Silver Spur by a bad power relay. I suggest you replace (or give a good rap to) the blue relay that powers the antenna and radio from the ignition switch. It is in the truck fuse box and is the same one I was dealing with to fix my radio problem. The RR has over 30 of these little box-type relays and it would be a quick fix if that were the problem. They simply plug in. I bought them in bulk for about $3 each.

Last edited by Don Elliott; 04-05-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Don Elliott
I have been stung with intermittent operation of the antenna and radio in my RR Silver Spur by a bad power relay. I suggest you replace (or give a good rap to) the blue relay that powers the antenna and radio from the ignition switch. It is in the truck fuse box and is the same one I was dealing with to fix my radio problem. The RR has over 30 of these little box-type relays and it would be a quick fix if that were the problem. They simply plug in. I bought them in bulk for about $3 each.
Thanks for your suggestion. I did try switching it with another relay , but I will go get a new one and try it again. I know it is probably something stupid that I am missing, but it is sure frustrating!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

Jagfan47

As I understand it, you have power to the radio but when you switch it on you just get crackling noise for the speakers and the antenna does not go up?

I didn't quite get the tape thing but anyway it may well be a red herring. The thing to do is see if the radio is sending a 12v signal to the antenna motor. Start by checking the wiring at the antenna motor in the trunk right rear. You need to check pin 4 of the white 6 way connector, you should have 12v there when the radio is switched on. If you have 12v but the antenna does not go up then the fault resides in the antenna motor assembly.

If you do not have 12v, then check the output from the radio by pulling it out and checking for 12v on Pin 5 of the white 20 way connector when the radio is switched on. Signal should be ground when the radio is switched off.

If you do not have 12v at the radio output then the problem resides within the radio and as others have mentioned this will be difficult to fix.

If you do have 12v there then the problem is most probably a loose wiring connection between the radio and the antenna motor. Try wiggling some wires while checking continuity.

The following users liked this post:
jagfan47 (04-07-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 PM

Thanks Allan,

I have tested the antenna and it works as intended ( jumped it straight to the battery, but I should have checked the voltage as you suggested before I put everything back together).

When I turn on the radio, the antenna does not go up, but I can change the stations on the radio ( they show up on the display although the backlight is not functioning) and run through all the normal functions.

As you mentioned, I also think the problem is in the radio ( maybe the on/off/volume switch). When I get some more time, I'll pull the ski slope apart again and do some more diagnostics, checking voltages etc.

I really don't want to replace the radio as I want to keep the car as original as possible.

Thanks for your suggestions.