XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Scraping noise coming from rear right tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Scraping noise coming from rear right tire

So, I've very recently been hearing a scraping noise coming from the rear right tire area. I thought it was the dust shield just scraping the rim, but after jacking the car up, and removing the tire, I noticed two things.
  1. There is a small amount of play at noon and 6.
  2. It didn't appear like the dust shield was scraping the rim, or anything of the like.
I'm worried that it may be the differential bearings. I know I had one side taken care of about 30K miles ago. I thought I had the right side taken care of, but at the moment, I don't have access to my service records, so I'm unsure. The noise I'm hearing doesn't sound like the typical airplane taking off/grumbling noise that occurs when it's the differential bearings (I'm quite familiar with the noise because that's what did my '89 Xj6 in). The noise I am hearing sounds like metal on metal (very familiar to what a dust shield scraping a rim sounds like), and it makes the noise as the tire rotates around.

Is there anything else that it could possibly be? Or should I start calling local Jag tecs?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Brake pad noise maybe?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe, but that doesn't explain the play in the tire.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I would think it would've been obvious with the tire off, but perhaps not if it parked in the proper place - I had a similar noise on the left front of my Excursion and as it happens I'd lost one of the bolts that fixes the brake caliper on. Of course, I got a pretty good "thunk" during braking when reversing. Any shiney marks on your inner wheel?

Last edited by aholbro1; 09-07-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Nope, no shiny marks on my inner wheel, and I've actually lost one of my bolts that holds the brake caliper on before (different wheel). I may take the tire off again tomorrow and have a look at it since I'd really hate for it all to come apart when I'm driving (last time it happened on the interstate and really scared me).

Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Pull the caliper and rear disc to inspect the parking brake innards. Something might've come loose.

Just a thought.

The small amount of play in the wheel suggests a worn wheel bearing....so you'll wanna keep an eye on that. My gut feeling is that it doesn't have anything to do with your noise, though.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

I pulled the caliper and rear disc this morning. They both look fine. All the parking break stuff looks good, but I'm not 100% what it's supposed to look like since I've never had to dive into anything regarding the parking break. I'm not sure if the disc is warped at all though, and that is what is causing the noise, but the car does break fine. I've never dealt with a warped disc before.

If it was a wheel bearing, wouldn't there be play in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions (left and right), rather than the 12 and 6 o'clock positions (top and bottom) that I'm experiencing? With the tire and brakes off, I can hear a small, very minute rumbling noise coming from the differential. I still haven't been able to check my service records to see which side of the differential bearings I had replaced.

I think that I may just have two different problems. The one regarding the noise, and another problem that is slowly developing with the differential bearings.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by TopHatChef
I pulled the caliper and rear disc this morning. They both look fine. All the parking break stuff looks good, but I'm not 100% what it's supposed to look like since I've never had to dive into anything regarding the parking break.

If no broken parts fell out that's a fairly good sign

Looking at the parking brake shoes and the drum area of the rear disc do you see any witness marks? Any scoring or such? If not you can probably move on to something else.

I'm not sure if the disc is warped at all though, and that is what is causing the noise, but the car does break fine. I've never dealt with a warped disc before.

Generally a warped disc will be felt thru the brake pedal when you apply the brakes. Are you get any brake pedal pulsation?

If it was a wheel bearing, wouldn't there be play in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions (left and right), rather than the 12 and 6 o'clock positions (top and bottom) that I'm experiencing? With the tire and brakes off, I can hear a small, very minute rumbling noise coming from the differential. I still haven't been able to check my service records to see which side of the differential bearings I had replaced.

I check 'em a 12 and 6.

<shrug>

It should be noted....I should've said this before.....that looseness in a axle shaft u-joint or the carrier-to-suspension mounting can be mistaken for a loose wheel bearing. You have to wiggle the wheel and watch very carefully to see what is *actually* moving. A second set of hands is useful here.

I think that I may just have two different problems. The one regarding the noise, and another problem that is slowly developing with the differential bearings.

How do the brake pads look? Any sign of abnormal contact with the disc? Anything on the surface of the pads? Any witness marks on the disc?

It's normal for the pads to lightly contact the discs at all times but a sticky caliper might cause a pad to drag too heavily and create a noise.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
TopHatChef (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Parking brake parts all look good, no scoring or the like.

No brake pedal pulsation when braking.

It should be noted....I should've said this before.....that looseness in a axle shaft u-joint or the carrier-to-suspension mounting can be mistaken for a loose wheel bearing. You have to wiggle the wheel and watch very carefully to see what is *actually* moving. A second set of hands is useful here.
This is a possibility for the play, although I did just check my records, and I had the driver's differential bearings taken care of, but not the passenger's side (the side that currently has play). The play is on the end of the u-joint that connects to the hub, rather than the end that connects into the differential.

How do the brake pads look? Any sign of abnormal contact with the disc? Anything on the surface of the pads? Any witness marks on the disc?

It's normal for the pads to lightly contact the discs at all times but a sticky caliper might cause a pad to drag too heavily and create a noise.
The pads look fine as does the disc. I recently replaced them probably 10K miles ago. I'd believe it could be a sticky caliper since I've already replaced the front left caliper hardly a month ago because it was sticking.

Last edited by TopHatChef; 09-08-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Since there isn't any noise when I spin the hub with the brakes off, and it's a rotational noise, I've decided to replace the rotor, and hopefully eliminate that noise in 3-4 business days when my rotor arrives in the mail. If that doesn't do it, I'll probably go ahead and replace the caliper too.

I'll have to worry about the play at a later date, since I'm away at school, and unable to take care of any of that myself. I'd rather wait until I'm at home with family so I can take care of it there.