XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Security system immobilizing 96 XJ6 ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Security system immobilizing 96 XJ6 ??

I have a seldom problem that has become a solid problem:

I am lucky to live in an area where I do not need to lock my jag so I didn't really pay attention to this situation.
I will say when I bought the car last summer and took it to Seattle, I locked the door with the key (I have no remote or fob, only keys) and it worked as it should without issues.

A few months ago, I locked and left my car at a friends for a few nights. On my return, when I tried to unlock the door, I noticed hesitation on the unlocking mechanism. I prayed to the car gods and was given access.
The car opened and started on the first crank.
I drove it across town to a big event and stupidly decided to lock the car again.
When I went to unlock and drive it home, it would NOT unlock the locks.

Now I look back and figure the first issue is the door locking circuit/relay/messaging doo-hickey, but I am clearly no mechanic.

I had a friend who has broken into many cars, he slim-jimmed it open.
The alarm went off, of course, as it should.
It refused to start, as I imagine the security system is created to do.

Since this, I've been told to touch the 2 battery leads to reset the computer.

At that time, I took the battery home and charged it. We had noticed that one battery connector was loose on the negative terminal. We thought that was the issue.
Some nice kid was hell bent on helping me start it, I met him later with the charged battery and his tools.

When we put the charged battery in, the alarm went on. I searched google and we managed to silence it. I think that it had started right up..... maybe we silenced the alarm first and then started it---
I don't remember as it started and ran perfectly from that time.....

Until I locked the car again!!
Once again, slim jimmed into it, this time a proper tow truck guy.
The alarm went off and it would not start. The guy tried to jump it to no avail. We took the neg battery connection off to quiet the alarm.

We came back a few hours later to see if it would start. Nope, but we noticed that the fuse box near the battery was clicking away like crazy when the battery was hooked up with the alarm on too.
Since then, I've taken the battery out again, hoping that I could do the same procedure as before.

My battery is holding it's charge (although that probably has nothing to do with the real issue: the security system locked on immobilizing the car).
I've touched the battery leads together to reset it but it is not resetting.

The fuse box near the battery is clicking away, alarm is blaring away and the ignition is doing nothing. I should mention that the dash gauges and lights go on as normal. It is immobilized.

Once I get it UN-immobolized, I will get it back on the 2 hour ferry to take it home and then can sort out the door locking issue.

I should mention that a week before this recent door locking thing, I went out to start up my car and it wouldn't start. I had a friend jump it, started right up. I drove it a bit that night and it started fine the next morning with the dash gauge reading strong as it usually does. And was fine since then.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Amy Sharp; 07-01-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Sounds like you are in the US, and I thought US X300 models did not have an immobilizer, just horn/lights alarm?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:38 PM

I am in BC, Canada and I don't know enough about Jaguars to know if the ones in Canada are the same as the ones in the US.
It sure seems like it is immobilized to me.

If not, then I suppose I have a different can of worms.
This car runs BEAUTIFULLY, I can't believe there is something unfixable on it.

And I can't take it to the guy in town as he really doesn't know Jag's and I've already seen him misunderstand another 'Jag-ism'.

I hope someone out there has got some input for me..... !!

Old 07-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Amy:

Hi, from a fellow BC'er. You've really got my interest. Why would you not put the key in the drivers door and manually (womenually) unlock the door? I believe you can do this with your key?

Please let us all know how you are progressing on this issue, as it will be very valuable information to see how this gets solved.

Thanks ... Grant ... BB2 guy.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:58 PM

HI Grant--

I'm not sure what I wrote (I reviewed it again) that would make you think that I wouldn't just put the key in the lock and unlock it---- that was the whole issue!! hahaha!
The key would NOT unlock the door--- no matter what I did.
I have no remote or fob, plain old keys only.

What it did do was close the sun roof while I was standing there turning the key back and forth.
Then I called the slim jim in and on the story goes.....

It's looking like the 'deadlocking' relay, that is NOT in US cars, is buggered up.
The car is on Van Island and I'm a 2 hour ferry away so I have to make a whole day or two for any sessions on it.

I wonder if that why so few people have responded..... they all think I'm too stupid to put the key in the door and turn it..... sigh, oh well.

I've got some great input coming in from a member through messaging- he's sent the wiring diagram.... that will make your eyes cross for sure! the figure is 15.1 in this diagram.

The factory OEM disk that I ordered arrived today..... OBDII will arrive shortly.

I believe there's 2 issues here:
1. door lock/unlock relays or system (the initial problem that stops entry into the car)
2. the deadlock relay, once the car is 'broken into' it refuses to be 'reset' when touching the 2 battery leads together as it is designed to do.

what I am also curious about is the box of relays and fuses next to the battery that are clicking away like mad when the alarm is going off after connecting the battery----

I love this car!! I want my baby back home, at least it is safe at my company's head office in Courtenay.

Looking forward to any input the forum has to offer!!

Old 07-04-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey there Amy:

Okay, I get it. I just never heard of Jag of this model not coming with the remote key fob. My mistake, just assumed something, and we all know what can happen when you assume.

That's got to be a real problem, and I don't know what to suggest. Hopefully someone will respond with a check list for you to go over to help sort out the problem. But as I said before, please keep us up to date on your progress.

Sincerely, ... Grant ...

Old 07-06-2015, 02:24 PM

I'm going to replace the driver's door lock actuator and get that out of the equation.

maybe the alarm won't reset because of that issue. We will see if I need to replace the deadlock relay that's in the heelboard area.

The car is not easy to access from me with the Straight between us so I will likely have the parts installed by a Jag shop on the island.

Keep your fingers and eyes crossed for me......

Old 07-09-2015, 08:37 AM

Hi Grant

The shop where my boss towed my car to has a guy with lots of import experience. He is familiar with Jags enough to know that you can bypass the door actuator so the alarm was calmed and the car started right up!!!

I think I heard angels singing when he told me that on the phone!!!!

Once I have the door actuator that I ordered, I will get it to his shop and he will install it for me and it looks like that will be that for those issues.

And yes, that was with the original charged up battery that I took over last Tuesday
so it appears to be holding a charge too!

Once the actuator is replaced, I will report back...... CHEERS!

The following 2 users liked this post by Amy Sharp:
b1mcp (07-09-2015), cool (09-30-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

I have been following your saga, but was not able to help. Glad to hear you have it sorted.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having a similar problem as Amy's with my '95 XJ6. I let it sit too long and the battery drained, so I thought I'd jump start it with my Ford and run it awhile to charge it up. I think I had hooked up a charger for awhile also, but can't remember the whole set of things I did. Anyway, when I tried to jump it, the alarm triggered and I can't get it to stop. I didn't know about the reset function by touching the battery leads together, so I will try that tomorrow, but mine is definitely disabled and the alarm won't silence even when I put the key (I don't have the remote fob either, because the genius who owned it before me lost it or disposed of it, or something.) in the ignition. It won't start and the alarm won't stop, so I've got the battery disconnected for now. I hope the reset works, because I live out in the country and tows are expensive. Mine has 340,000 miles on it and has only been towed once because I removed the battery at a local Autozone to test it and didn't think clearly and closed the trunk. My key lock in the trunk was broken by the same genius who owned it before me, so I towed it home and used the little hole behind the license plate in the trunk lid and fished the lock open.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveL
I'm having a similar problem as Amy's with my '95 XJ6. I let it sit too long and the battery drained, so I thought I'd jump start it with my Ford and run it awhile to charge it up. I think I had hooked up a charger for awhile also, but can't remember the whole set of things I did. Anyway, when I tried to jump it, the alarm triggered and I can't get it to stop. I didn't know about the reset function by touching the battery leads together, so I will try that tomorrow, but mine is definitely disabled and the alarm won't silence even when I put the key (I don't have the remote fob either, because the genius who owned it before me lost it or disposed of it, or something.) in the ignition. It won't start and the alarm won't stop, so I've got the battery disconnected for now. I hope the reset works, because I live out in the country and tows are expensive. Mine has 340,000 miles on it and has only been towed once because I removed the battery at a local Autozone to test it and didn't think clearly and closed the trunk. My key lock in the trunk was broken by the same genius who owned it before me, so I towed it home and used the little hole behind the license plate in the trunk lid and fished the lock open.

Wow ..... if I read nothing else in that reply, I am astonished by the 340,000 miles

Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

Your clicking relays ring a bell! Sorry! Soon after I took ownership of my X330 the battery became flat and I tried to recharge it on the car. The result was that same clicking from the relays. I bought a bigger battery, charged it off the car, re-assembled the new battery and all was well. Not had to recharge the battery since!

Old 09-21-2015, 11:34 AM

Hi Steve--
ahh, yes.... I did have farther to go on my Jag adventure than when I checked in last.
Once the new door actuator was installed, that did NOT solve the problem..... And the alarm being bypassed was not a long term option.

I had to have the shop guys look into it.
What ended up being the issue was that when I purchased the car nearly a year ago, the sellers wanted to do a good thing so they ordered new keys from the dealer.
I live in a friendly town so I rarely locked the doors but noticed that when I did, the car was hesitant to unlock with the key (yep, no FOB either...)
it was determined that the problem was that the old lock tumbler did not like the new key..... Since it was different enough, it treated it as a break in and immobilized the car..... terribly troublesome as you can imagine.
They suggested I get new locks, very expensive, the tech knew this was not the answer I wanted to hear so he took apart the door and lubed every working part.... and that created less resistance, so the car allowed the new key to unlock the car......

I have it home again but haven't locked it since! I had a friend pick it up for me from the shop and he locked and unlocked so it does work.
I have ordered an after market FOB but haven't successfully got it programmed with the car-- I tried what instructions I found online and although there was chirping, it doesn't lock or unlock the door. I will figure it out I am sure with some help from online or a car geek, bless them!!

So I don't know if that helps at all!
Just think of it as a Jaguar sponsored adventure

The following users liked this post:
D Nyquist (09-28-2020)
Old 09-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Security system

Hi
I hope you are having some luck
Here is a link to Jim Butterworth's page that goes to the heart of the issue
you might want to read........
Good luck