XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Someone please help, I am stuck in Valet mode in a X300!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please help, I am stuck in Valet mode in a X300!

hello, I recently purchased a valet key online, it is a original jaguar one, and had it cut at the dealer for 10 bucks. I then put the key in the ignition and noticed that I couldnt get the car to start, so I went into the console, chripped it 5 times and the key turned with no problem. Now I am back with my regular key and I cant get my trunk to open. I have tried to lock/unlock the doors, with the key to disarm it, but it still does not open the trunk. I do have a fatermarkey alarm system installed on the car as well, but I also have my original Jaguar alarm system on the backup incase the aftermarket fails, if anyone knows anything, please help me, I cannot access my trunk! thanks.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Bro you've come to the right place. I had the same problem with mine the day after I bought it, and now it works fine.

1. Drill a 3/4" hole in the very center of here the license plate would be. BE CAREFULL NOT TO PUSH IN HARD ONCE THE DRILL BIT GOES THROUGH, DO NOT LET THE DRILL BIT HIT THE WALL BEHIND IT.

2. Use a small flashlight to look inside the whole. There will be two small blue cylinders. The bottom left is for the automatic operation and the one on top right is for the manual operation (with the key.)

3. Take a Phillips screwdriver and stick it into the blue cylinder on the bottom left and slowly pull it diagonally to the right.

4. The trunk will pop open and you will be all set. The valet will disengage itself. (In my case I had to go in there and re-attach some parts because I pushed too hard with the drill bit and it ruined some mechanical parts.)

5. To fill in the whole, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and find a rubber or plastic grommet and use some silicone to stick it in there.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 PM

hi! thank you so much for the reply, I am gonna try it sometime this week when im off from work. But tell me, whats the point of having a valet key if its gonna lock the trunk up like that? That dosent make any sense to me, and why can't you diengage it any other way? That just sounds crazy!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It wasn't supposed to be like that, but being 14-15 year old car, these mechanisms wear out. I also realized one of the reasons I couldn't get in my trunk manually was because my key was so worn down it wasn't able to turn in the lock.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Default X300 Valet Mode, please help....

hi everyone, I had a brand new Valet key cut for my car from the jaguar dealer recently. I got home and noticed that the key cannot unclock the door? Does anyone know why not? It will lock the door but not unlock it. Also, when I put the key in the ignition I have to turn it a bunch of times before I can actually get it to start, is there a speical way to use this key? Did maybe the dealer cut the key wrong? I mean they got my vin number why would they cut it wrong? Any help would be appriciated, thanks.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:36 AM

You may have had your truck cylinder changed before you bought the car. I just bought a xj6 1996 and it was sold to me with no key, i went to the dealership and oprdered one ($215!) and it didnt work in any of my locks.. so next day i had a locksmith come out and he took my key and played with it in the ignition for 5 minutes, went to his truck and came out and he shaved it here and there and now it works.. he made me 2 others all costing me $300 more.. but now i have 3 functional keys for my car. Worst of it was in September someone else bought this car of mine and bought a key from the SAME dealership and went back complaining it didnt work.. and they still had no issue selling me the same useless key when it was right there in the computer when i gave him my VIN.. They still are telling me no refund.. not the best way to start a relationship with a new client.. I talked to the manager and he said he would work something out with me regarding a discount on any work i may need done there in the future ...Not sure if i am satisfied with that.. but it is better than a kick in the nuts with a frozen muckluk

Old 05-09-2010, 07:03 AM

hi, so what would the truck lock cylinder have to do with this? because the valet key does not open the trunk anyways, and also, I have 2 other regular black keys that came with the car when I purchased it and they work fine starting the car, opening the door, and opening the trunk, please advise, thanks.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocafella117
hi everyone, I had a brand new Valet key cut for my car from the jaguar dealer recently. I got home and noticed that the key cannot unclock the door? Does anyone know why not? It will lock the door but not unlock it. Also, when I put the key in the ignition I have to turn it a bunch of times before I can actually get it to start, is there a speical way to use this key? Did maybe the dealer cut the key wrong? I mean they got my vin number why would they cut it wrong? Any help would be appriciated, thanks.

Lock cylinders and keys wear together. It isn't unusual for a new key....with fresh, crisp cuts....to need some fussing to work in a worn lock cylinder.

With old conventional keys this can often be fixed by running the new key on your wire wheel to soften the cuts a bit. I don't know if that would work with the "stick key" but you could give it a whirl.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rocafella117
hi, so what would the truck lock cylinder have to do with this? because the valet key does not open the trunk anyways, and also, I have 2 other regular black keys that came with the car when I purchased it and they work fine starting the car, opening the door, and opening the trunk, please advise, thanks.

From what i gather, the truck lock cylinder is one of 2 ways to disengage the valet mode. Actually i think getting the trunk open is how you disengage the valet mode...the key Fob is one way, and the other is to manually unlock and open the trunk with one of the black keys. Again you can do the drilling method bhind the license plate.. but if either of the first 2 work.. Personally i will be drilling a hole there and putting in a rubber gromet just in case i ever get a sticky trunk cylinder and am stuck in valet mode.. wherever i am it will be a couple seconds to fix the poblem...
How you may ask would i get stuck in Valet mode?.. I have 2 young kids who LOOOOVVVVVE to press miscellaneous buttons on the car at any chance they get...and i have retarded friends who would find it funny to do to me when I am not looking...Not proud of the friends. but I was taught to be nice to the less fortunate...lol

Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM

hello, finally I was able to get the issue resolved... I went to jaguar and had a new valet key recut, now it opens the doors and starts the car perfectly. The only question I had was when I am taking out the valet key, because its is brand new, I have to give it a little wiggle, is that because its a fresh cut key, or is my cylinder lock going bad? on my regualr black key its more worn down and its a little harder to turn the key, but this valet key turns good, just has a little tought time getting out. What does everyone think? New clinder lock, new black key maybe? Lubrication??

Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Run the key in a wire wheel to polish the rough cut edges.I have done this hundreds of times after the parts dept cut the key and it would hang/stick in the lock barrels.

bob gauff

Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 AM

hey bob, thanks for the reply, where excally can I go to do the wire wheel?