XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Sunroof does nothing!??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof does nothing!??

The sunroof on my 97 VDP makes no noise, motion, or anything when I push the switch. I checked what I believe is the correct fuse and it seems to be good. What is the proper way to diagnos/repair? I am afraid I could make things worse like ending up with it stuck open or something like that!

Old 11-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Don't mean to be a tool to new members and say "try search" but, er.....I attempted to search it for you and just post the pertinent links here...but got 62 returns on "Sunroof" from the x300 (this) forum. Too much to wade thru on Thanksgiving morning without a sunroof failure of my own to spur me. However, I recall Motorcarman has posted several sunroof TSB's on several different occasions, so I know the info is in here...somewhere. If you don't find what you need, you may also try the same query in the X308 section. Mechanically identical sunroof (I think, but that's a guess) but possibly different electrically. Look for the icons in the list that it returns indicative of attachments. McM's TSB's are attached pdf's.

Also, you will need to boost your post-count above 10 and hit the other gates for a mod to happen along and upgrade you to full access before you'll be able to open them...which is likely what stymied you on the handbook in the FAQ section. I don't recall all the limitations on "double-secret probation" but think inability to open attachments is one of them. Hang in there and be patient with us. Always great to welcome another DFW-ite even if you don't have a "Fort Worth" next door to Dallas in GA!

Old 11-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Sunroof

If your fuse is ok then you might have a suspect relay. Not sure which one or where it is but will look into it. Did the roof work ok previously and just stop? You could check to see if you have power at the switch, using a circuit tester or simple test lamp. If memory serves me right, the ceiling console is easy to drop down, just open the sunglass holder and there should be a fixing in there to release it. You can also try to operate the sunroof manually using an allen key. Maybe a little micro switch in the mechanism has gone out of kilter? Will be just a case of process of elimination I think. Good luck with it and welcome.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

When I bought my 95 the sun roof did not work. The seller was as upset as I was. It turns out he had the module where the switch is located removed and recovered. I took the module down and discovered the electrical connector had not been reconnected. Could this be the problem?

EZDriver