XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Thinking of getting the engine steam washed, am I asking for trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting the engine steam washed, am I asking for trouble?

Is it safe to have '97 XJ6 engine steam-washed?
[Has anyone here gotten their engine washed?]

Old 07-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

With the amount of sensitive electronics in these cars I would advise against it. Remember, the steam will be at least 100 deg and under pressure so it will get into everything.

Your choice, but if you do and things go wrong there will only be one person responsible.

The following users liked this post:
Selsoft (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Look on youtube at people washing their engines. I jet washed mine. Just covered the alternator in foil to stop the water getting in. Came up nice with no issues at all.

Selsoft (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi there, really no need to do this.....I've done several cars recently and its so simple.

Cover any sensitive electronics if required with a plastic bag

Using a spray degreaser possibly combined with a hot soapy water solution, simply spray the affected areas and wipe down.

Get yourself an old 2" paintbrush or similar for those nooks and crannies and hard to reach areas.......spray liberally with the degreaser and hot soapy water solution then use the brush to agitate and wipe as required.

You can if required use a slow running garden hose, but it shouldn't be necessary to totally saok the engine.

Once all wiped down, cleaned n dried off you can use a wet n black type product to give the plastics a new lease of life.

I'm not a detailer but have done several cars using this method and got great results, with zero issues

BEFORE....

AFTER....

BEFORE....

AFTER...

Ok so they're not concours standard or perfect by any means but the difference is like night n day......It really depends on what level you want to take it to I guess?

Hope this helps some.......

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of getting the engine steam washed, am I asking for trouble?-astraenginebayscuttle1-1.jpg   Thinking of getting the engine steam washed, am I asking for trouble?-astraenginebayafter.jpg   Thinking of getting the engine steam washed, am I asking for trouble?-p1010014-1.jpg   Thinking of getting the engine steam washed, am I asking for trouble?-p1010020.jpg  
Selsoft (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 PM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I do it myself buy a few cans of cheap degreaser put a nozzle from WD40 can on it

I can direct the degreaser where I want it to go

I avoid all the electronics or wrap them in plastic then wash of with hot water from the tap using the garden hose connected to the washing machine hot water outlet

I also use the water on very low pressure as not to get it everywhere

learned this technique from using a pressure washer and wondering why my car or motorbike didn't run properly afterwards

Modern cars and bikes dont like water getting in everywhere and pressure washers and steam cleaners have very small water droplets that get in everywhere
just my 2 cents worth

Selsoft (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64

Cover any sensitive electronics if required with a plastic bag

Using a spray degreaser possibly combined with a hot soapy water solution, simply spray the affected areas and wipe down.

Get yourself an old 2" paintbrush or similar for those nooks and crannies and hard to reach areas.......spray liberally with the degreaser and hot soapy water solution then use the brush to agitate and wipe as required.

Once all wiped down, cleaned n dried off you can use a wet n black type product to give the plastics a new lease of life.

Hope this helps some.......

This helps a lot! I appreciate the before and after photos too!
The level you have achieved is good enough for me, so, I will work on replicating what you have done ...Thanks!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by doc
I do it myself buy a few cans of cheap degreaser put a nozzle from WD40 can on it

I can direct the degreaser where I want it to go

I avoid all the electronics or wrap them in plastic then wash of with hot water from the tap using the garden hose connected to the washing machine hot water outlet

I also use the water on very low pressure as not to get it everywhere

learned this technique from using a pressure washer and wondering why my car or motorbike didn't run properly afterwards

Modern cars and bikes dont like water getting in everywhere and pressure washers and steam cleaners have very small water droplets that get in everywhere
just my 2 cents worth
Thanks Doc. I am glad to find out about this alternative, a controlled approach to cleaning the engine bay.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by rob20087
Look on youtube at people washing their engines. I jet washed mine. Just covered the alternator in foil to stop the water getting in. Came up nice with no issues at all.
Thanks.
I learned about using degreaser [and hot soapy water as needed] in a controlled manner to do the cleaning from posts above.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
With the amount of sensitive electronics in these cars I would advise against it. Remember, the steam will be at least 100 deg and under pressure so it will get into everything.

Your choice, but if you do and things go wrong there will only be one person responsible.
Jim, thanks for the advice. Instead of using pressure wash, I will be using degreaser [and hot soap water] with immediate wipe downs, as mentioned in the above posts.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Your welcome, the advice given by JimC64 is sound advice and is the procedure I use.

You will also find that after the initial deep cleaning, from then on it will take no more than the occasional buff and some engine dressing to keep it looking showroom.

Happy cleaning.