XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Traction Control

After noticing the TRAC OFF light on my dash, I was pleasantly surprised that such a feature was apparently available and did a bit of googling.

So, I have a few quick questions I'm assuming haven't been asked before:

A) I'm assuming that Traction Control was standard on all 1997 XJ6. Is this correct?

B) If it was standard, then I'm assuming the right most button (Next to Reset / Odometer) was the button to turn the Traction Control off, but was only available on XJR's. Is this also correct?

C) If I am right on both counts, then how difficult would it be to modify an XJ6 / XJ6L / XJ6 VDP to have the feature to turn Traction Control off?

Keep in mind, I really, really like having Traction Control, and it comes in very handy use, but I still wouldn't mind - If it wasn't much hassle and wouldn't damage the car - to be able to turn it off on the one or two very, very rare occassions I would want it off (Which would probably be never).

Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Valium.Skies
After noticing the TRAC OFF light on my dash, I was pleasantly surprised that such a feature was apparently available and did a bit of googling.

A) I'm assuming that Traction Control was standard on all 1997 XJ6. Is this correct?

No, not correct. In the USA I think the only model having it as standard was the XJR. It was an option on others.....although I suspect that most VDPs were ordered with it. I suspect fewer standard XJ6s were ordered with it.

B) If it was standard, then I'm assuming the right most button (Next to Reset / Odometer) was the button to turn the Traction Control off, but was only available on XJR's. Is this also correct?

Hmmmm.

If you have traction control you should have the "trac" button, regardless of model

C) If I am right on both counts, then how difficult would it be to modify an XJ6 / XJ6L / XJ6 VDP to have the feature to turn Traction Control off?

Keep in mind, I really, really like having Traction Control, and it comes in very handy use, but I still wouldn't mind - If it wasn't much hassle and wouldn't damage the car - to be able to turn it off on the one or two very, very rare occassions I would want it off (Which would probably be never).

Are you *sure* that you have it? if you don't have the button you don't have traction control.....I'm 99.9% sure on this.

All of the instrument clusters have the TRAC OFF icon, even if the car didn't have traction control. I suspect yours is glowing due to a glitch of some sort.

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Valium.Skies (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
No, not correct. In the USA I think the only model having it as standard was the XJR. It was an option on others.....although I suspect that most VDPs were ordered with it. I suspect fewer standard XJ6s were ordered with it.

Hmmmm.

If you have traction control you should have the "trac" button, regardless of model

Are you *sure* that you have it? if you don't have the button you don't have traction control.....I'm 99.9% sure on this.

All of the instrument clusters have the TRAC OFF icon, even if the car didn't have traction control. I suspect yours is glowing due to a glitch of some sort.

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD
Admittedly, I'm not sure. And really, in hindsight, I have no reason to believe I -did- have a traction control system other than seeing that light right as you start the engine up. And if it doesn't, It'd probably be hellish to try to put one in.

Although I suppose if I ever come across a donor XJR, it'd be a start. By an incredible coincidence, one of my neighbors got his hands on an especially beat up XJR (was -NOT- garage kept). So maybe I can converse with him sometime on the subject.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Actually, if I recall correctly, there were far more '95's that had Traction Control as standard, and more later cars that it as optional. Doug is correct in that if you have the feature, you will have the 'TRAC' button on the RH pod. You will also see the soup can sized actuator near the RH bonnet latch; it will have the throttle cables going to it and then back to the throttle body.

Sorry, adding it is not practical. It is a function integrated into the engine management and electronic brake system. It's way more than an actuator and different cables.

I agree.......what a feature, wonderful invention.

Cheers,

Valium.Skies (01-23-2012)
Old 03-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Traction Control wires

As long as Traction Control is being discussed I want to mention that on the Traction Control Actuator(MNA5930AA), at least on the X300, the two wire's insulation on the unit just crumbles eventually and the wires short out. I have seen this happen to several. On my own the ABS and Traction Warning lights went on. Eventually I found that the wires on bottom of the unit had shorted, but the upper end looked good. Some I have seen are bad at the top and bottom. It may be due to UV since the insulation under the black wire tube seems to be ok. I have not disassembled the unit to rewire it. I hope that the shorting did not permanently hurt something. I have not seen this problem mentioned and wanted to bring it to someones attention. Anyone with an X300 and traction control should be aware of this problem.

The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteXJ6-96:
al_roethlisberger (10-30-2014), journeyman (10-29-2014), knightofgold (11-18-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXJ6-96
As long as Traction Control is being discussed I want to mention that on the Traction Control Actuator(MNA5930AA), at least on the X300, the two wire's insulation on the unit just crumbles eventually and the wires short out. I have seen this happen to several. On my own the ABS and Traction Warning lights went on. Eventually I found that the wires on bottom of the unit had shorted, but the upper end looked good. Some I have seen are bad at the top and bottom. It may be due to UV since the insulation under the black wire tube seems to be ok. I have not disassembled the unit to rewire it. I hope that the shorting did not permanently hurt something. I have not seen this problem mentioned and wanted to bring it to someones attention. Anyone with an X300 and traction control should be aware of this problem.
I found this on my 96 Vanden Plas. Both wires at the bottom were missing about 1/2 an inch of insulation. They did not appear to be shorted but I gave them a little more separation and slipped individual pieces of slitted plastic tubing over them.

My trac fail light is still on and I don't think the uninsulated wires had anything to do with it. I had my ABS module rebuilt and the ABS light went away but not the trac fail. Is there some way of re-setting the traction control function?

Old 10-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

FYI, my 1997 XJ6 DOES have the trac button on the right pod.

Going in for major 60k service and checking everything else out by Jag indep mechanic Jaguar Denver next week. These specific suggestions about checking the wires under the module (along with other things) are great.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

Hmmmm.

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD
I believe this is incorrect because my 95 cVDP has traction control but it cannot be turned of because the Traction Control Off button is not there. You need to remove the ABS/TC fuse.
I may be mistaken but this is what my friend and i concluded.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by elithrift
I believe this is incorrect because my 95 cVDP has traction control but it cannot be turned of because the Traction Control Off button is not there.

To verify......

Is the traction control unit present and accounted for in the engine bay? Item #1 in the picture below....

Brake Actuator Cable Assembly-Traction Control - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

Cheers
DD

Old 11-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by elithrift
I believe this is incorrect because my 95 cVDP has traction control but it cannot be turned of because the Traction Control Off button is not there. You need to remove the ABS/TC fuse.
I may be mistaken but this is what my friend and i concluded.
My 95 standard XJ6 has a TRAC button on the right pod. Perhaps your pod was replaced somewhere along the way.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Attached is a picture of the Traction Control Actuator Doug referred to.

For North American models, here's how it went:

1995 and 1996
XJ6 and VDP --- Optional, came with the All-Weather Package
XJ12 and XJR --- Standard

XJ6, XJ6L and VDP --- Optional, came with the All-Weather Package
XJR --- Standard

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Traction Control-97-vdp-01a.jpg  

Last edited by xjrguy; 11-17-2014 at 04:18 PM.
weisberg (11-18-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 01:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If I decide that I no longer want the traction control how hard would it be to remove?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

AFAIK simply remove cables, unplug, remove fasteners....

You'll need a throttle cable from a non-Trac Control car.

I suspect you'll end up with a fault light. Not sure how to work around that

Cheers
DD

Old 11-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Compounder
If I decide that I no longer want the traction control how hard would it be to remove?
Extend right hand to IP, actuate Trac contr switch.
But similar to what Doug said....you'll probably have const "trac control off" light in lieu of an actual fault light

Old 11-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok thanks. I broke the accelerator cable (plastic part) that runs to it and can't find a replacement one. It is no longer available from Jaguar and there are not many XJR's being parted out I guess. I was thinking that it might be easier to just delete it but I really don't want a light on all the time either.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Talking Perfect!

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Extend right hand to IP, actuate Trac contr switch.
But similar to what Doug said....you'll probably have const "trac control off" light in lieu of an actual fault light

You beat me to it!

Yeah, I think I'd personally prefer the ability to interactively enable or defeat it with the switch versus trying to remove such an integral system. I suspect it is more complicated than just removing the 'hardware' to get it to behave properly.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Ok thanks. I broke the accelerator cable (plastic part) that runs to it and can't find a replacement one. It is no longer available from Jaguar and there are not many XJR's being parted out I guess. I was thinking that it might be easier to just delete it but I really don't want a light on all the time either.

Everyday XJ is steadily tearing cars down for parts...

davidboger (01-06-2018)
Old 08-25-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Admittedly, I'm not sure. And really, in hindsight, I have no reason to believe I -did- have a traction control system other than seeing that light right as you start the engine up. And if it doesn't, It'd probably be hellish to try to put one in.

Although I suppose if I ever come across a donor XJR, it'd be a start. By an incredible coincidence, one of my neighbors got his hands on an especially beat up XJR (was -NOT- garage kept). So maybe I can converse with him sometime on the subject.
traction control I have traction control on my 95 XJ6 that I'm having problems with right but I was told that only a few of the 95's had it and I can't find it anywhere. If someo e has one let me know. The cable came out so the sensor so the cable is off the sensor to the motor

Old 08-25-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you take it off, i will buy it from you,(depending on how much you want for it, im a low income Jag owner, lol), the plastic piece broke off mine and I'm sitting here with no transportation now.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

my 1996 xj6 4L in California does not have a traction control.
with rain (almost never rains here) if you push down all the throttle while driving through a merging freeway ramp it will oversteer nicely.
Difficult to reproduce it without rain, the car is quite heavy.

Quick Reply: Traction Control