XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

x300 issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default x300 issues

sure this has been asked before but im a newbie here, 3 issues with my car
1.rear view mirror rooted, is it easy to fit a standard mirror in place of the photochromic one?
2.clock not working, faint digit but nothing else, easy repair?
3. starting issue, pulled up at a friends home, switched the car off, when it was time to leave the car wouldn't go, all the dash lights came on but absolutely nothing from the starter. Tried numerous things like loose wires or loose solenoids but nothing found . decided to push the car out of the way so my friend could get his car out of the drive, after doing this tried the car again and started straight away!!Only had the car for 5 days so a bit worried that it could be an ongoing issue. Ideas greatly appreciated.Thanks

Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by bigriz
sure this has been asked before but im a newbie here, 3 issues with my car
1.rear view mirror rooted, is it easy to fit a standard mirror in place of the photochromic one?

Haven't done the task myself so I'm talking out of my hat. But, I presume it would simply be a matter of buying a standard mirror and installing it, leaving the wires from the old mirror unused.

Bear in mind that two types of mounting tab were used on the X300s. I can't remember the details on that. Someone will chime in

If you're thinking about a generic, non-Jaguar mirror from the local auto supply shop, well, I'mm sure that's possible as well but, again the mounting tab becomes an issue. If it won't fit the tab you have, you'll have to break the tab off the glass. Sounds risky to me.

2.clock not working, faint digit but nothing else, easy repair?

There are some home brew DIY fixes out there with spotty results. Most of us have best luck by sending the clock to this outfit

ModuleMaster rebuilds ABS modules for as low as $100, 2 day average turn-around, 5 Year Guarantee

About $100 and it's fixed once-and-for-all.

The clock assembly is small and light so shipping wouldn't be too bad

3. starting issue, pulled up at a friends home, switched the car off, when it was time to leave the car wouldn't go, all the dash lights came on but absolutely nothing from the starter. Tried numerous things like loose wires or loose solenoids but nothing found . decided to push the car out of the way so my friend could get his car out of the drive, after doing this tried the car again and started straight away!!Only had the car for 5 days so a bit worried that it could be an ongoing issue. Ideas greatly appreciated.Thanks

Take a peeak at the gearshift indicator when you try to start the car. With the key "on" does the "P" glow red? If not, you should try adjusting the interrupter/safety switch.

If you have a V12, 3.2 six, or supercharged six the adjustment is made by moving the "linear switch" next to the gearshift.

If you have a 4.0 six the adjustment is at the "rotary switch" on the side of the transmission.

Sometimes jiggling the gearshift a bit will restore the red glow and allow you to start the car.

If the "P" IS glowing red but the starter will not operate then there might be a problem with the security system...or any number of other things...which can be tackled if needed.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

if you put a standard mirror in it,you'll probably regret it[wasted time].the fluid in mine[yellow tint] ran down to the bottom and exposed non-tinted mirror.while driving at night it the glare from behind was very anoying.so i bought one on ebay ,and it had the wrong windsheild mount.so i opened up my mirror and switched the lens,much much better...the clock sped money or do as i do and ignor it...steve.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:02 PM

thanks for the quick replies, will try the tips mentioned

Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Did you get your car started and the gear shifter issue figured out?

Old 12-26-2012, 04:27 PM

yes its definitely the switch on the gear change. as long as i make sure that the light is on when i put the car in park then i don't have any problems!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As to the rear view mirror, don't try to pry it off. I cracked my windshield trying that. The metal clip that the mirror slides onto won't come off. I think you can slide it off, up or down. It's been awhile now. Then a plain old parts store mirror can be mounted right below.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

IIRC, just pivot the mirror base left or right 30-45 degrees, then it will pop right off

Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with my XJ300 when i got it. had to move gear selector down to just below neutral before it would start. but after about 5 days it all went normal. now starts first time lol.
I do still have a slight issue with the lights though on everything but park on the right hand side of the J gate. none illuminate unless you hold the shifter slightly off the side lol.