XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJR6 Journey begins

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts
Default XJR6 Journey begins

Hi all,after recently having an excursion into the wonderful world of the XJ40 I thought I would introduce my new beau to you all,well, not exactly new but new to me. Just under two years ago I set my heart on owning a straight six supercharged X300 and today,finally, I realised my dream. I've had my eye on a few over time but all have eluded me due to the ever increasing price. So as is my way I have bought one that needs some tlc and if you've had a look at some of my other threads you'll see I 'm quite happy to provide some...with an abundance of help form those far more knowledgeable on this Forum. So she's a 1996 4.0 Supercharged XJR6. 137K on the clock and 10 months Mot left. She has a gearbox issue which will need resolving. I collected her today and drove her about 40 miles home without issue but I didn't venture over 50 mph. Once home she wouldn't engage reverse and the previous owner had said the car would go into limp mode or after a short journey would not engage higher gears. I haven't looked to much into yet,just wanted to get home in one piece.
Roof has some lacquer peel and there is a little corrosion on one of the rear arches...all in all though...very happy...the engine itself sounds awesome and she handles deftly with no knock,rattles or bangs....well nothing worth investigating just yet. Underneath solid and it came with two brand new spare tyres.

I'll keep you posted.
'Tug' joins the family.

Spot the lacquer peel.

Normal wear to drivers seat but the rest is all good.

Supercharger has had an oil change and some other stuff done to it....

Loads of manuals....winter reading.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

The AJ16 engine with the supercharger is a different transmission then the normally aspirated models . Something to keep in mind .

See the PDF link below :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7ckb9edafc7cgd/4L80E.pdf

GM 4 L80-E Troubleshooting codes other then engine

https://www.trnw.net/z-search/4L80E.php

Attached Thumbnails XJR6 Journey begins-4l80e-3.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-25-2017 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
twack (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:17 PM

I had done some research prior to purchase but I'm glad you've clarified that for me,not being in 'the know' always makes me second guess...Thank you. This transmission seems to go in a number of different vehicles...do I need to be model specific when sourcing oil/gasket/filters or just general overhaul kits?

Old 09-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

The transmission is a completely different animal and manufacture from the standard ZF transmission . The car and engine are basically the same with some important component differences . I have no experience with the SC but a Master will help , just ask questions .

see above edited post

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-25-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Default GM 4L80E Transmission fluid and filter change.

Been remiss in keeping you up to date so will do a concise version bringing you up to today. So after much much faffing around trying to source a filter kit for the transmission I succeeded and managed to keep some of the cost down.I won't bore you with all the details suffice it to say that not all that is said to be for the GM 4L80E transmission actually is. There seem to be two different filters (with and without dimples) one for the 4L80E and one for the 4L80, alledgedly.
Obviously I didn't know until I dropped the sump off so I ordered both and sent the wrong one back. So for my particular XJR6 (1996 4.0l straight six) it was the following: Filter (without dimples) JLM10952,Oil neck seal JLM10953 and Sump gasket JLM10975. Also a 10l jug of Dexron3, you don't need that much but it was a great price. So old oil and filter out,new in and off for a test drive.
Probably managed about 15 miles before the problem came back. Hey ho.
I had already bought a used replacement box just on the off chance it wasn't a quick fix. Didn't really think it would be but never hurts to be optimistic.
So today with the help of my very friendly local garage (who are also friends and don't mind me pitching in) we set about swapping the box. Although some braver than I might fancy having a crack at this on the drive... I wouldn't fancy it, it's a heavy and cumbersome autobox. Anyhow after finding all the bolts that needed undoing (draining the fluid also) plus a few that probably didn't we managed to get the old box off and the replacement one up and in place/secure. Tomorrow we'll finish connecting everything back together and give it a whirl. All said it wasn't a horrendous job but was made easier with some very long extension bars and gearbox support jack thing.We also took the prop-shaft off as well as the exhaust system...it was time well spent at the start and probably saved more in the long run with it all out of the way. Looking forward to tomorrow. Please be gentle with me...it is my first time.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Pay particular attention to the multi-pin harness connector to the transmission. If the trans mount is weak....they often are...excessive movement of the transmission can tug away at the wires and damage them.

If it isn't too late consider replacing the A and B shift solenoids and both speed sensors on the replacement transmission just on general principles. Fairly common failure points on the 4L80E and only about $120 for the whole lot and readily available...in the USA, at least.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-19-2017, 01:31 PM

Thanks for that Doug,the replacement box was said to be 'good working order' and also had a plate on it stated it was a reconditioned unit,so I'm just going to roll with it as is at the moment and see how it turns out. Definitely something to consider if I keep her for any decent length of time.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:51 PM
Default Auto box in. ECU Adaptive?

So everything went back together (in a fashion) and there were no left over fixings,although we did replace a fair few that had seen better days. Filled up with fresh oil,ran through the gears a few times topping up as we went and left to run for a while.
So my question is two-fold. I took her out for three runs the first of which was horrible, the second was better and the third on the way home was almost sublime. Gear change became smoother and she seemed more responsive.
Not knowing how long the box had been unused before we put her in is there a possibility that as she gets more use she will improve.? Also does the ECU have an adaptive relationship with the box as it does when setting up the engine levels in response to throttle and sensors. If the answer to both the above is yes (in its simplest form) then all is good with the world. If no then we will just have to wait and see how things go over the next couple of weeks.

GM 4L80E removed. On the left is the mounting bracket and spring and also the propshaft.

GM 4L80E. With dipstick and oil lines removed the unit.although big and heavy, is manageable with a jack and two pairs of hands.

Swapped the prop flange form the original as the other was a bit battered.Impact wrench on the centre nut will free the flange for removal.

A very long extension bar was used to remove and replace the bell housing bolts...with a guiding hand if it would fit.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM

Well it's been a while,mybad and all that.The XJR6 has moved on to pastures new with some fresh paint in some areas that it was in dire need of.Short it was replaced with an X300 4.0l 'Sport' in turquoise,that was swiftly moved on so I could concentrate on an XJ8 that I still have but is now ready for a new owner with full service history and a full Mot..plug,plug.

So once again I must bid you farewell and cross over to the land of all XJ40, pictures will follow but not just yet as I don't want to tempt fate as this one has been a little reluctant to join me. If it knew what I had planned it might change its mind...there again it might run for the hills...again I'm sure it will have some aghast but it will be on the road and being enjoyed which in my mind is where it's at. Thanks to all who have helped me over the last few months and I dare say we will meet again in the not to distant future.