XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 XJ8 Strange Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 XJ8 Strange Issues

So I'm having some strange issue with my 2000 XJ8. First the drivers window stopped working. Then the interior boot release button and exterior one stopped working. For weeks I had to open the trunk with the key and open my door at drive thru's. I replaced fuses and charged the battery but nothing fixed it. Now today for no reason it all started working. I want to figure out what's actually wrong before everything starts breaking down again. Let me know of you need more info.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Arabham
So I'm having some strange issue with my 2000 XJ8. First the drivers window stopped working. Then the interior boot release button and exterior one stopped working. For weeks I had to open the trunk with the key and open my door at drive thru's. I replaced fuses and charged the battery but nothing fixed it. Now today for no reason it all started working. I want to figure out what's actually wrong before everything starts breaking down again. Let me know of you need more info.
Sounds like a breached circuit, look for frayed/broken/pinched wiring in those erratic areas. The window has a control module in the door that maybe shorting out as well.

Last edited by King Charles; 01-19-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

For you boot, check this thread... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-lights-88876/ ...has the window issue been resolved? If not, trying the "all down" feature. With the doors closed, put your key in the door lock, turn and hold it to the right....all your windows should roll down in sequence. To return them back up, turn and hold the key to the left. Let us know your results.

Last edited by Highhorse; 01-20-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

That often works: also, try a hard reset of the battery. Disconnect the negative cable on the battery in the trunk and touch it to the positive post. This empties the capacitors and removes errant electrons.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
For you boot, check this thread... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-lights-88876/ ...has the window issue been resolved? If not, trying the "all down" feature. With the doors closed, put your key in the door lock, turn and hold it to the right....all your windows should roll down in sequence. To return them back up, turn and hold the key to the left. Let us know your results.
So the window still works and I don't know why same with the boot. There is also another interesting tidbit when I lock the car with the fob the car seat resets to a werid position but if it lock the car with the key it doesn't.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Your seat should go back from your set position and steering column up and in for ease of exit when you remove the key from the ignition....and reverse when you insert it into the ignition. Before and after that, the seat should stay back until key inserted. Does your steering column move when the seat does when you lock it?
Be sure to review that link I gave you on the boot, I'm betting that's your issue there.
How are you with electronics btw?

Old 01-21-2018, 10:17 PM

I looked at the post and I had found a similar post when the issue original issue happened. I removed all the trim in the trunk and inspected the wiring it all looked intact.
The trunk light though is a different issue one works the other doesn't. I pulled both out and checked them for physical damage and found none. I test each bulb and the tested good.
Also one of the license plate light is out too. I did the same thing for the trunk lights they both tested good. It's also worth noting that the lights in the trunk and plate that are working and not are on matching sides.
The steering wheel and seat moving thing is like this. I can set the steering wheel position and seat position but, I cannot save it to memory I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what. When I get ready to get out of the car the steering wheel moves out of the way. When I get in the car it goes in the right position. Keep in mind this is if I don't lock the car with the key fob.
Now if I lock the car with the key fob the seat goes what seems all the way forward and the steering wheel all the way down that could just be because thats whats in the memory from the previous owner. When I unlock the car with the key fob the it doesn't go back to where I had it but just stays like that I have to manually move everything back the way I like it. Now if I use the key in the door none of this happens.
‎I'm good with simple tinkering but I have never done anything in a cars electric system.
‎p.s
‎the previous owner added an aftermarket stereo system and the sound cuts when change from park to reverse.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

For the stereo, it definitely sounds like a short. If you haven't been in the shift cavity, its not hard. The shift trim ring lift straight off, you have four screws on the retaining ring to remove, pick up on your wood trim and your there. You can then inspect if the PO has any of their handiwork in that area.
If you feel like being more adventurous (or didn't find the volume issue), once you lift the wood trim out of the way, you'll either see the retaining screws for the stereo and climate controls or broken/missing tabs where there supposed to be....I suspect the latter. You should be able to remove the unit from that point.
For your seat, you may find yourself chasing another short. You may simply have to reset your driver door control module (pic). You can either disconnect the battery cables and touch them together to deplete power, wait a minute or so and reapply them. Or disconnect it at the module for a couple minutes and reconnect it. Either should clear the issue barring any fancy work by the PO. For a schematic, here's the electrical PDF... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1998.pdf ...go to page 62 for the layout in question.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Highhorse-- I just saw this message. When I use my remote to unlock the car, the driver seat rolls up to my driving position from the exit position before I open the door. Annoying. I have to slide the seat rearwards to sit in it. Any ideas why the remote is moving the driver seat up upon unlock? and why doesnt the seat roll ALL the way back when I pull the key out to exit?

All thoughts welcome!

Thank you.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

I am not totally versed on the seat controls, but I'd make good reference its probably the seat control module or your key cylinder. You'll need to review some schematics and do some site searches here like...x308 front power seat control module or x308 power seats....and see what returns. I know there are a couple of threads on it.

You'll want to put this in your Favorites... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource ...here's the diagrams from that you'll need to review... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1998.pdf
Its a lot to look at, but once you scroll through it, you'll figure out where you need to be to review. Get back with us on this.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Apcar
Highhorse-- I just saw this message. When I use my remote to unlock the car, the driver seat rolls up to my driving position from the exit position before I open the door. Annoying. I have to slide the seat rearwards to sit in it. Any ideas why the remote is moving the driver seat up upon unlock? and why doesnt the seat roll ALL the way back when I pull the key out to exit?

All thoughts welcome!

Thank you.
Try this
1 key in ignition switch, press memory set botton on the door switchpack
2 while the memory light is on press any button on the fob twice, the light will go out and you should hear a chime.
That should cancel the fob programming.