XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Airbag light

1998 XJ8 VdP - airbag light came on. Codes suggested seatbelt pre-tensioners, now replaced. Airbag light came back on! Does anyone have experience diagnosing and fixing this issue? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It could be the clockspring, especially if any of the controls mounted on the steering wheel are malfunctioning.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by IanG
It could be the clockspring, especially if any of the controls mounted on the steering wheel are malfunctioning.
Thanks!

The telescopic motor on the steering wheel started misbehaving at the same time. Is this what you mean?

What is the clockspring exactly and how do I get to it?

Old 06-08-2012, 04:24 PM

I mean the controls that are mounted on the steering wheel - horn, cruise,radio.
The clockspring is the device in the wheel that communicates electrically with these, allowing the wheel to turn whilst maintaining contact. It is a ribbon which winds and unwinds as the wheel is turned back and forth, like the spring of a clock. Jaguar call it a cassette module, I think - but the common term is clockspring.
Check the steering wheel functions - if some are inoperative then likely cause is the clockspring. If they are all OK then could still be the spring but there are other possibilities to check out first.
If it is the spring then I can provide step by step guide to replace it, with photos.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by IanG
I mean the controls that are mounted on the steering wheel - horn, cruise,radio.
The clockspring is the device in the wheel that communicates electrically with these, allowing the wheel to turn whilst maintaining contact. It is a ribbon which winds and unwinds as the wheel is turned back and forth, like the spring of a clock. Jaguar call it a cassette module, I think - but the common term is clockspring.
Check the steering wheel functions - if some are inoperative then likely cause is the clockspring. If they are all OK then could still be the spring but there are other possibilities to check out first.
If it is the spring then I can provide step by step guide to replace it, with photos.
None of those symptoms are consistent with my problem.

Does anybody else have any other ideas?

Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 PM

Initially it seemed like it was the seatbelt pretensioners...those were replaced, but the light came back on after one day. It was ultimitely corrosion in the wiring harness for the airbag. The previous owner had spilled soda on the console. Clear corrosion was seen in the wires, and it almost totalled the car (it was a cat's whisker away from needing a new wiring loom through the cab). The airbag light is now out.

The following users liked this post:
dsetter (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks I have the same problem, on and off randomly, but more when hot. Where are these tensioners and wiring connectors?

Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scottish Chap
Initially it seemed like it was the seatbelt pretensioners...those were replaced, but the light came back on after one day. It was ultimitely corrosion in the wiring harness for the airbag. The previous owner had spilled soda on the console. Clear corrosion was seen in the wires, and it almost totalled the car (it was a cat's whisker away from needing a new wiring loom through the cab). The airbag light is now out.
Are you talking about the center console? I too have a 98 XJ8 and the bag light just stays lit. No blinking.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by MPDano
Are you talking about the center console? I too have a 98 XJ8 and the bag light just stays lit. No blinking.
Well you could keep throwing parts at the problem like the people in this ancient thread.

I would suggest starting a new thread with you car details and the fault(s).

The module has faults logged in it to help with diagnosis but people would rather keep replacing parts than to diagnose and repair.

A generic code reader will NOT access the ABS 'C' codes (CHASSIS CODES) or SRS 'B' codes (BODY CODES) like the 'P' codes in the ECM.

You need to find a shop that has specific diagnostic equipment to read the DTCs stored so you can fix it more economically. Have the shop print out the codes and then start a diagnostic procedure. (or get a quote and tell them to repair)

You can also purchase the diag equipment but it can be 'pricey'.

bob

bob

Don B (01-09-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Well you could keep throwing parts at the problem like the people in this ancient thread.

I would suggest starting a new thread with you car details and the fault(s).

The module has faults logged in it to help with diagnosis but people would rather keep replacing parts than to diagnose and repair.

A generic code reader will NOT access the ABS 'C' codes (CHASSIS CODES) or SRS 'B' codes (BODY CODES) like the 'P' codes in the ECM.

You need to find a shop that has specific diagnostic equipment to read the DTCs stored so you can fix it more economically. Have the shop print out the codes and then start a diagnostic procedure. (or get a quote and tell them to repair)

You can also purchase the diag equipment but it can be 'pricey'.

bob

bob
All good. Read somewhere where connections could be faulty under the seat. I started re-seating connections and started the jag and no more air bag light.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For what it is worth, I was getting an intermittent air bag light which I tracked to the connector underneath the drivers seat. The connector had come loose from the mounting clip allowing the clip to hang down so adjusting the seat position could displace the connector causing the light to come on.

Don B (01-09-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 07:06 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

But if the DTCs were read from the module, you would likely have seen 'Driver's Side Airbag Open Circuit/Short Circuit No Signal' or 'Driver's Seat Belt Pretensioner' or something like that!!

That gives you a clue that the fault is in THAT area so you don't waste time looking at the passenger/driver's front airbag or impact sensors etc.

Time is money and customers don't want to pay you to 'try-this' or 'try-that'!!!!
I like to go directly to the fault, get it fixed and move to the next problem.

Just trying to be expedient.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (01-09-2018), toaster (08-22-2018)