XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Angry A $3,000 Throttle Body Story. Am I a fool?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Angry A $3,000 Throttle Body Story. Am I a fool?

Am I a fool? a $3,000 Throttle Body story.(2002 Jaguar xj8 VP)I thought I would add my story to this thread for the record. The last entry was Jan 2014. Our 2002 VP is 2 years old with 121,000 miles. Have never had a problem until now. Given the age of car we ended up with 2 choices: Take offer from salvage guy of $1,000 or give dealer $3,000+ to replace Throttle Body and replace wheel speed sensing harness (Details with fault codes below) After reading this thread it did not seem feasible for me to repair nor engage an independent repair person who may or may not understand all the nuances. I choose the $3,000+ option because it seems this might be the worst thing that can happen and I should expect to get a few more years out of this baby. So, what do you think?
Details:
Early months of 2014: started getting intermittent ABS light. (not frequent, long periods in between)
June 2014 +/- occasional faults related to ASC & Trac. They would come and go. Irritant but did not noticeably affect performance, no red light or check engine icon.
Late July (day after rain deluge and driving through huge puddles) Wife driving, gets red light, gear box, fail safe and host of other) Not sure if it was limp mode as wife said she barely made it to side of road and had no power. Towed car to my mechanic. Sat for few hours. When he started it there was no problem other than the check engine light was still on. He had his transmission guy check the tranny and could see nothing wrong. They got no active fault codes. The guy kept the car for a few days and used it to commute to work to exercise it. No problems. They cleared the check engine icon but did not record any codes that were stored.
We get the Car back
Wife is worried about re occurence. Doesn't trust the car. She insists on taking it to Jag dealer. They found a B1122 (from reading this thread that may be a typo B vs P) which they said would explain all the codes except Gear Box failure. They explained it was throttle position sensor (TPS) but that I would need to replace the Throttle body as they no longer tried to replace just the TPS .
I declined since it would not address the hard fail associated with Gear Box failure. Since there were no active or stored codes for the gear box issue I accepted living with the possibility of another failure in lieu of spending money on something that may or may not be the root cause. I also thought the big rain puddle may have caused a moisture related transient that may not happen again.
The next 2 weeks:
I am driving the car now instead of wife as she does not want the specter of another hard fail hanging over her head.
Car is running great, even took it round trip to Charlotte ~300 miles with no problems, other then the occasional ABS icon and Trac/ASC faults.
August 9, 2014.. I am 200 feet down road from house and all the lights come on. Gear box-transmission-red light-no power. Wife was right - NOT SOMETHING you want to happen on busy interstate or a rural road with no shoulders. Now I don't trust the car.
Towed car to Jag dealer.
Now they have the codes they need.
P1122 for Pedal position sensor. I think this is what they also refer to as Throttle position sensor B1122 from previous visit.
P1632 From transmission indicating loss of signal from Throttle body
C1155 From ABS for L/F wheel speed sensor circuit failure.
I am dismayed at the ever increasing complexity. In addition to failure modes associated with basic function we now have sensor failure issues.
Bottom line.
They gave me a 1 yr parts/labor warranty and the car is running great.
What do you think?
This model is the last of the truly elegant jaguar as far as body style and I just couldn't let it go for scrap value.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by jdelayknee
This model is the last of the truly elegant jaguar as far as body style and I just couldn't let it go for scrap value.
You're saying this about an X308 in the X350 forum? Those are some fightin' words.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you mean x02 vs x350 forum. I thought I was in the forum for the xj's. Are those engines

Old 08-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Received 12,767 Likes on 6,395 Posts

Originally Posted by jdelayknee
what do you mean x02 vs x350 forum. I thought I was in the forum for the xj's. Are those engines
Hi jdelayknee,

Welcome to the forum!

Your 2002 XJ8 is a factory code X308. This forum is for factory code X350 aluminum-bodied XJs made from 2003-2009. If you will spend some time reading threads in the X308 forum and using the search function, you'll discover a wealth of information about your car, similar symptoms to those you've experienced, and possible solutions that can save you thousands of dollars, depending on your willingness to study and understand your Jag.

Please visit the https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/ and post an introduction to share something about yourself and your car.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-02-2014 at 05:39 PM.