XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Anyone know what plug is for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone know what plug is for?

Itīs loose and I canīt find out what it does.. Only faults on my car is the low washer fluid level warning (with a full reservoir not leaking) and the window wipers living a life on their own.. Thanks in advance

Old 06-03-2019, 05:11 PM

Itīs on a 98 XJR btw..

Old 06-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

I don't see anything resembling a connector like that near the washer bottle reservoir area on my US VDP.

I've read that some European models had an under-hood (bonnet) light,.........and/or a hood (bonnet) unlatched warning switch?????

Wondering if it could be a wiring harness connector for one of those, but the actual item not fitted to your model?

The following 2 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
Don B (06-06-2019), Kenneth Bjorkhaug (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kenneth Bjorkhaug
Only faults on my car is the low washer fluid level warning (with a full reservoir not leaking) and the window wipers living a life on their own.. Thanks in advance
In the past I have found that a faulty relay can make the windshield wiper do all sorts of crazy things. I had it happen to me on a Chrysler I owned, took me forever to figure out the problem, swapped the wiper relay and everything was fine!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-06-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
In the past I have found that a faulty relay can make the windshield wiper do all sorts of crazy things. I had it happen to me on a Chrysler I owned, took me forever to figure out the problem, swapped the wiper relay and everything was fine!
I have read that before, but I can't figure out which relay that is.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

I have read that before, but I can't figure out which relay that is.
Check out page 36...............looks like there are two wiper relays under the hood, near the front lights
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj2000.pdf

Don B (06-06-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 593 Posts

Itīs loose and I canīt find out what it does..
Your connector looks like it is for the bonnet switch (provides "Bonnet Open" message on the instrument cluster). The pictures show the switch and its location.

The following 3 users liked this post by M. Stojanovic:
Carnival Kid (06-04-2019), Don B (06-06-2019), Kenneth Bjorkhaug (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 12:57 AM

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home today!

Old 06-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
Your connector looks like it is for the bonnet switch (provides "Bonnet Open" message on the instrument cluster). The pictures show the switch and its location.

Thank you. That was the one. Now connected!

Old 06-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

I noticed that you mentioned your wiper has a mind of its own. I experienced the same problem in the past. Driving down the road, the wiper would randomly swipe all by itself. Not always, but once in a while. I replaced the relays, to no avail. In my case, it ended up being the body processor module behind the glove box. I didn't know that at the time, but the little red security light by the gear selector would sometime glow dimly. I knew it had to be a short someplace. Long story short, I ended up replacing the BPM, and the glowing light problem went away. I was happy to find that the wiper issue also went away. That's been a couple years ago I suppose, and I am confident that the wiper issue was solved by the BPM replacement. You have to be careful to get the right one, but they are available.

The following 2 users liked this post by aquifer:
Carnival Kid (06-04-2019), Don B (06-06-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by aquifer
I noticed that you mentioned your wiper has a mind of its own. I experienced the same problem in the past. Driving down the road, the wiper would randomly swipe all by itself. Not always, but once in a while. I replaced the relays, to no avail. In my case, it ended up being the body processor module behind the glove box. I didn't know that at the time, but the little red security light by the gear selector would sometime glow dimly. I knew it had to be a short someplace. Long story short, I ended up replacing the BPM, and the glowing light problem went away. I was happy to find that the wiper issue also went away. That's been a couple years ago I suppose, and I am confident that the wiper issue was solved by the BPM replacement. You have to be careful to get the right one, but they are available.
Hi. I tried switching the two wiper relays in front, but that didn't work. (As I understand these are the two black relays alone in the left front of the engine compartment?)
I will check out the BPM, but is the only way to find out to buy a New one and replace it?

Old 06-05-2019, 06:58 AM
Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi. I tried switching the two wiper relays in front, but that didn't work. (As I understand these are the two black relays alone in the left front of the engine compartment?)
I will check out the BPM, but is the only way to find out to buy a New one and replace it?
I'm not sure if it's the only way. You may be able to send the module off to have it tested and repaired. The problem with buying a used one off eBay (which is what I did), is that you can't be sure that what you're buying is in good condition. I got lucky with the one I bought. If I remember right, you have to match up the VCATS number in the trunk beside the spare tire with the one you're looking to buy. It's not enough to just match up the part number. They're fairly widely available, so it might be cheaper to find a used one than to send yours off to be repaired. But by repairing yours, you would know what you have. Others may have recommendations on which way to go.

Don B (06-06-2019)