XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Bulb change clock X308

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 08:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bulb change clock X308

Happy New Year to all of you!
Question?
Is it really nessesary to remove the Airbag Deploy Panel on the Passenger Side in order to remove the Clock`s Trimpanel?

Appreciate any answers?

Thx!

Old 01-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Its not hard, its just a bit stiffer since its the panel rarely needed to be removed. If you don't already have them, you can get a set of plastic panel removers from most any tool store.
I've always had to pry mine up a bit just enough to get it to clear the wood and swing enough so I wouldn't have to remove the dash gauge one. As a matter of fact I have to do that soon to replace my bulb when it arrives.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:25 AM

Ok. So actually,only one of the panels have to be removed,either the Gauge,or the Deploy Panel to get a grip on the center one to change the bulb i the Clock? Or is it possible to remove the center Panel with the Plastic Tools you suggested without removing any of the other panels?
Thx!

Old 01-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, you have to pull up a panel, its just easier to do the passenger side, since if you do the gauge side, you have to put the key in to get the steering column down to remove it. Then you have to listen to that incessant dinging while the key is engaged. The panel may come all the way off with little effort, but the tangs do hold tight usually.
For the gauge side, I have to bring it up just a tad, without having to move the steering, to get the clock casing to swing free.
Your biggest concern will to be a bit gentle (but forceful) working any of the panels off. Your dealing with a 18 yr old car after all. The metal tab overlays don't give over the years as opposed to the plastic insert they go into.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a post from recent to help guide you some more... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ations-191955/

Old 01-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Allright!
Sounds pretty straight forward then. Thanks for your help!
Give it a Try this evening!

Old 01-01-2018, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

It really is not difficult, just needs some care.
Did mine a week ago, was afraid for the airbag panel, but the left part of it just popped out, just a bit more force (but nothing exceptional).
Keeping the plastics in one piece is a much harder task, my center vent lost most taps, it just crumbled apart.

And get the battery off for a while before you do so, I think Jaguar advises a minute.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:55 PM

Hi. I did approach it from the Gauge Side tonight,and it worked out just fine. Fortunately nothing crumpled like in your case. Sorry for that.The only thing was that the centerpart which inhibits the clock had to be bend a little in order to reach the clips and the connector. It felt, it didn’t want to come out behind the Deploy Panel wich actually was fastened very solid. Didn’t dare to force it more as I did.I had to change some bulbs in the Gauge as well, so the Gauge had to come off anyways.Cleaned every connector with some Electric Cleanerafter having some spooky flickering in the Fog-Switch. Maybe that will go away by doing that. Will see.Didn’t order the bulb for the Clock yet but that I will do tomorrow.Thx for sharing!

Old 01-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Don't be afraid of that panel, remember, its made to come flying off and it has a tether strap on so as not to kill the passenger when deploying.

XK's Unlimited has the clock bulbs at the best price I've found, but they require a $25 order minimum. Thank goodness I needed a few other bulbs to cover that.

Last edited by Highhorse; 01-01-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I got a new center vent w/ all tabs intact. I need to remove the non-functioning clock & use my current one. How does this come out of the vent housing ? I don't want destroy any more plastic if possible lol.

I see white tabs but they will not budge & the black plastic is thin I can already envision damage.

Last edited by King Charles; 06-13-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

It is indeed just the tabs, you will need to take the plunge ... .

Before you re-install the new clock into the center vent, check if it works (light / time).
Prevents you form an other round ...

Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
It is indeed just the tabs, you will need to take the plunge ... .

Before you re-install the new clock into the center vent, check if it works (light / time).
Prevents you form an other round ...

Well see the new vent's clock is inoperable so I have to use my current clock, oh the joy !

I can't even get the damned plug to release from the old clock to remove it lol. I may just pay someone to do this. The annoyance factor has been outweighing the pleasure factor here lately. So now I sit with wood removed & the center vent hanging by the clock wiring backwards lol.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Its a patience thing KC, I literally just did this myself 2 months ago and had the exact same thing happen. Found a nice all tabbed vent with a not so hot clock. Like Eric said, its tabbed and you have to work it a bit because they are tight holding the case in. If you want to just remove the white part holding the mechanism, you can do that also.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I can't even get the plug out to remove my old vent lol.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by King Charles
Yeah I can't even get the plug out to remove my old vent lol.
Maybe it is the right time to reduce on the booze for a while

Old 06-13-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe it is the right time to reduce on the booze for a while
Likely the opposite as I've been dry for 2 weeks now lol.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Well I got the plug out. The tiny button you push was half inserted & had to be pried to open w/ a watch screwdriver. Now the lone cracked piece of my wood/ the passenger air bag is being beyond stubborn, I cannot get it to budge. I do not want to turn the fine hairline already present crack into a major one.

I did find the source of my deteriorating foam debris though, it's not the foam back in the system, but the foam that was in between the vent's directional doors, it was powder like & mostly missing. The other foam looks good & in tact.

Now I have to figure a way to remove my fragile air bag veneer.

Last edited by King Charles; 06-14-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

You will not need to remove the whole airbag panel, just cracking (??) the left side 1/2 inch open will do the trick.

The airbag panel is much tighter than the other panels, but also relative thick, so you can use some force without damage (as long as you watch out not damaging the veneer).

I did mine with a normal plastic removal tool, but I should not shy away from using a large screwdriver and a rag.
Just use the removal tool between the screwdriver and the panel for protection, and be careful where to push the screwdriver against.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

You will not need to remove the whole airbag panel, just cracking (??) the left side 1/2 inch open will do the trick.

The airbag panel is much tighter than the other panels, but also relative thick, so you can use some force without damage (as long as you watch out not damaging the veneer).

I did mine with a normal plastic removal tool, but I should not shy away from using a large screwdriver and a rag.
Just use the removal tool between the screwdriver and the panel for protection, and be careful where to push the screwdriver against.
Yeah I have plastic pry tools, I guess I'm just being over protective.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

It is indeed just that bit harder pull than you feel comfortable with ... but it is sturdy, don't worry.

Quick Reply: Bulb change clock X308