XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Crankshaft/camshaft sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft/camshaft sensor location

I am trying to locate my crankshaft/camshaft sensor on my 1999 xjr (supercharged) 4.0 liter v8 Anyone have a diagram of the engine or know where it is. I have looked and can not find it. I have a p1336 code I'm trying to fix. The car starts run for a minute and then stalls out. Please help I'm getting super frustrated with this. It all started from a no start, checked the fuel pumps they were bad. Replaced both of those and fuel filter. Now the car starts but will not stay running.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason1941
I am trying to locate my crankshaft/camshaft sensor on my 1999 xjr (supercharged) 4.0 liter v8 Anyone have a diagram of the engine or know where it is. I have looked and can not find it. I have a p1336 code I'm trying to fix. The car starts run for a minute and then stalls out. Please help I'm getting super frustrated with this. It all started from a no start, checked the fuel pumps they were bad. Replaced both of those and fuel filter. Now the car starts but will not stay running.
Crank Sensor is at bottom where trans and engine meet.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

1336 seems to be the cam sensor. On my 98 XJR, it is on the left hand head, at the back, on the side nearest the throttle body.

In this picture the connector has a yellow inside part. Sorry, the picture is kind of upside down. It's also item 6 in the diagram. the parts diagram says it's part number LCA1646AD .

However, I'd do more research. This may the problem, but these cars are famous for leading you down the wrong path. Was the 1336 code there before the original problem?

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft/camshaft sensor location-img_0469.jpg   Crankshaft/camshaft sensor location-cam-sensor.jpg  

Last edited by avt007; 10-13-2014 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mustangtyson (02-08-2015)
Old 10-13-2014, 11:06 AM

No code 1336 was only there after I replaced both fuel pumps and fuel filter. The code only comes on after the car stalls out, if I reset the code it starts and shows no signs of a code until it dies then the code shows up.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Here's the code from the JTIS manual- it references both sensors. Sounds like either a bad sensor, or bad connections/wiring. I've had mice eat my knock sensor harness before.

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft/camshaft sensor location-1336.jpg  

Last edited by avt007; 10-13-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

The diagram has more 1336 info, and the pile of text below is copy/pasted from the troubleshooting section. Basically, are the connections clean? The harness looks good? And is the resistance between the pins more than 5 ohms? If so, you have a bad sensor. Good luck.

DTC P0335; CRANKSHAFT POSITION (CKP) SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTIONCHECK THE CKP SENSOR FOR CORRECT INSTALLATIONTurn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Check the CKP sensor for correct installation
.Is the CKP sensor correctly installed? INSTALL the CKP sensor correctly.

Reconnect the sensor. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.CHECK THE CKP SENSOR FOR DEBRISRemove the CKP sensor and inspect for debris.Is the CKP sensor free of debris?

CLEAN the sensor and wheel. INSTALL the sensor. Reconnect the sensor. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.CHECK THE CKP SENSOR SENSE CIRCUIT FOR HIGH RESISTANCEDisconnect the battery negative terminal.

Disconnect the ECM electrical connector, EM13.Measure the resistance between EM13, pin 19 (Y) and PI17, pin 01 (Y).Measure the resistance between EM13, pin 28 (P) and PI17, pin 02 (P).Is either resistance greater than 5 ohms?

REPAIR the high resistance circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation. CHECK THE CKP SENSOR SENSE CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO HIGH VOLTAGEReconnect the battery negative terminal.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

Measure the voltage between PI17, pin 19 (Y) and GROUND.Measure the voltage between PI17, pin 28 (P) and GROUND. Is either voltage greater than 3 volts? REPAIR the short circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTC.

TEST the system for normal operation. CHECK THE CKP SENSOR SENSE CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUNDTurn the ignition switch to the OFF position.Measure the resistance between EM13, pin 19 (Y) and GROUND.

Measure the resistance between EM13, pin 28 (P) and GROUND.Is either resistance less than 10,000 ohms? REPAIR the short circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.

INSTALL a new CKP sensor. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.DTC P0340;

CAMSHAFT POSITION (CMP) SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTIONCHECK THE CMP SENSOR FOR CORRECT INSTALLATIONTurn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Check the CMP sensor for correct installation.Is the CMP sensor correctly installed? INSTALL the CMP sensor correctly. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.CHECK THE CMP SENSOR FOR FOREIGN DEBRISRemove the CMP sensor and inspect for foreign debris.Is the CMP sensor free of foreign debris? CLEAN the sensor and wheel. INSTALL the sensor. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.CHECK THE CMP SENSOR SENSE CIRCUIT FOR HIGH RESISTANCEDisconnect the battery negative terminal.Disconnect the ECM electrical connector, EM13.

Measure the resistance between EM13, pin 20 (B) and PI15, pin 01 (B).Is the resistance greater than 5 ohms? REPAIR the high resistance circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.

CHECK THE CMP SENSOR SENSE CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO HIGH VOLTAGEReconnect the battery negative terminal.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.Measure the voltage between EM13, pin 20 (B) and GROUND.Is the voltage greater than 3 volts? REPAIR the short circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.

CHECK THE CMP SENSOR SENSE CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUNDTurn the ignition switch to the OFF position.Measure the resistance between PI15, pin 01 (B) and GROUND.Is the resistance less than 10,000 ohms? REPAIR the short circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation. INSTALL a new CMP sensor. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft/camshaft sensor location-1336-2.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 12:24 AM

I performed an omen test on both camshaft and crankshaft sensors. The camshaft read 2.102 which i believe is normal resistance. The crankshaft read 1.057 which i believe is normal resistance. Its hard to find exact info for my AJ26 engine. I removed the crankshaft sensor and cleaned it, but it looked fine. I did not remove the camshaft sensor because i have to disconnect a fuel line to get it out, I did not want to do this unless i was sure i needed to. Do you have any advise for proceeding further?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

When they go bad replacement is all that works - if it's not wiring.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

The resistance tests look ok. Did you have a good look at all the harnesses? Including inside the box the ECU lives in?

Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Yes I did I have order both new sensors and am hoping that will solve my problem.