XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cylinder Head install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cylinder Head install question

Hi all, I'm about to install my newly rebuilt heads on my 2000 XJR and I have a question on how to set the cam shafts when I install them. The engine is at TDC (or whatever the position is where you install the crank locking peg) but the factory service manual doesn't seem to say anything about how to position the cam shafts so that the timing is correct or so don't tighten down the cam journal caps and bend a valve. Are there marks on the cam or some other indicator to let me know the correct way to install them?
Thanks.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Scooby,

There are no camshaft timing marks per se, you need a set of camshaft alignment tools to align the purposely machined timing flats on the camshafts.
Here is a link to a blow-by-blow procedure, if you scroll down to the assembly section it describes the timing alignment.
Tmingi chain and tensioner replacement

The timing tool set can be purchased on Amazon for around $50.00

There are several forum posts on the subject, here are just a couple.....
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-196640/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-marks-193029/

Old 10-16-2018, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Scooby,

There are no camshaft timing marks per se, you need a set of camshaft alignment tools to align the purposely machined timing flats on the camshafts.
Here is a link to a blow-by-blow procedure, if you scroll down to the assembly section it describes the timing alignment.
Tmingi chain and tensioner replacement

The timing tool set can be purchased on Amazon for around $50.00

There are several forum posts on the subject, here are just a couple.....
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-196640/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-marks-193029/
Is this the timing set?
https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Engine-Timing-Jaguar-Rover/dp/B017X8Z8ZS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539732926&sr=8-3&keywords=jaguar+timing+tool+set https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Engine-Timing-Jaguar-Rover/dp/B017X8Z8ZS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539732926&sr=8-3&keywords=jaguar+timing+tool+set
I've already got one of those that what came with the crankshaft locking tool, right?

I think I see what I need to do, but I'll ask anyway since that write up you link was for replacing the timing chain not for replacing the whole cylinder head. After I bolt down the heads and tighten the head bolts accordingly, I position the camshafts in whatever way allows the camshaft locking tool to fit over them and then that locks it in place to get the timing chain one.
Also thanks for the write up, it just made me realize I still need to get a timing chain cover gasket.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:58 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, set the cams so the flats align and can be locked in with the tool. Valve spring tension will fight you some, so be extra diligent with journal tightening order. Just to be extra careful, I took about 3 passes in order just to get the journals down against the head before even thinking about torque. Take your time and you'll be rewarded in the end.
PS while you have heads off would be a good time to consider a new alternator and starter. Super easy to get at with the head off, and they'll need replacing sooner or later anyway....
Steve

Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Scooby, yes, that is the timing tool set, which you already have, it includes the two camshaft locking tools, and other tools you will need when you come to attaching the timing chains.

As per Steve, you will have resistance from some of the valve springs that are naturally "open" in this timing position as you tighten the cams down.

When you order your timing cover gasket, don't forget to also replace the timing cover crankshaft seal.....and a new harmonic balancer retaining bolt.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

And to jump forward a little, the blow-by-blow pdf I linked to is performed on a earlier A26 motor, which has different VVT actuators. In the description it states the torque for the VVT retaining bolts is 115-125nm (84-92ftlbs). Please note that on the later A27 motor the VVT retaining bolts are hollow and must NOT be torqued that high, the tightening specs for the later, hollow bolts is 85-90NM (62-66ftlbs).Check if your VVT bolts are hollow or not and torque appropriately.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
303-32 VVT bolt.pdf (110.4 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 10-17-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: add appropriate pdf
Old 10-18-2018, 07:19 PM

Scooby, yes, that is the timing tool set, which you already have, it includes the two camshaft locking tools, and other tools you will need when you come to attaching the timing chains.

As per Steve, you will have resistance from some of the valve springs that are naturally "open" in this timing position as you tighten the cams down.

When you order your timing cover gasket, don't forget to also replace the timing cover crankshaft seal.....and a new harmonic balancer retaining bolt.

The timing cover gasket I ordered came with a smaller ring shaped gasket, is that the crank seal? Didn't get a harmonic balancer bolts, I'll order that next.

And to jump forward a little, the blow-by-blow pdf I linked to is performed on a earlier A26 motor, which has different VVT actuators. In the description it states the torque for the VVT retaining bolts is 115-125nm (84-92ftlbs). Please note that on the later A27 motor the VVT retaining bolts are hollow and must NOT be torqued that high, the tightening specs for the later, hollow bolts is 85-90NM (62-66ftlbs).Check if your VVT bolts are hollow or not and torque appropriately.
thanks for the tip.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OUScooby
The timing cover gasket I ordered came with a smaller ring shaped gasket, is that the crank seal? .
The timing cover/crankshaft seal is an approx 3" diam standard lip seal. (shown in the pic below at approx 1-o-clock). The harmonic balancer also has a smaller rubber "O" ring that fits inside a groove inside the harmonic balancer taper, this also should be replaced, (it is shown in the pic below at approx 11-o-clock), it is the thin rubber "O" ring, in the pic it is incomplete because it is the old one which has broken and is missing the top 30 degrees or so when it was removed, as yours also probably will be. Be sure to replace it with a new one.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:25 PM

So I'm about ton install my heads on the car, one quick question just cause I don't want to screw this up. The diagram above is from the workshop manual, is the side of the head marked with and "A" the front for rear of the engine?

Old 11-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Scooby, check this forum link,..............should find the info you need here.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...001-xj8-34571/

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 11-26-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:59 PM

Scooby, check this forum link,..............should find the info you need here.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...001-xj8-34571/

I'm not seeing the answer I'm looking for in the thread you linked. That thread is about cylinder numbering. The diagram I posted above from the workshop manual for the cylinder head installations, the numbers correspond to the tightening order of the head bolts. I just want to confirm which end of the diagram is the front and which is the rear. Is the end marked "A" the front?

Old 11-26-2018, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

I believe that "A" is the front of the engine, but it really doesn't make any difference, the tightening sequence dictates starting in the center, and working diagonally towards the ends. This can be done from "A" to "B", or from "B" to "A" and it will be the same thing regardless of which end is "A" or "B".

Old 11-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Front or rear isn't so critical, as long as you follow the center-out sequence. That said, I'm pretty sure 'A' is the cam locking tool which makes that the front

Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 593 Posts

Yes, the end marked "A" is at the front where you can also see the two smaller (M8) head bolts that are torqued last. The Workshop manual, for some reason, shows that the M10 bolts "8" and "10" are at the front of the LH head and at the rear of the RH head which, although it should not really matter, does not make sense. The torquing sequence of one head should be the left-right mirror image of the other head, as shown in the attached extract from the Jaguar Dealer Training manual:

Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
Yes, the end marked "A" is at the front where you can also see the two smaller (M8) head bolts that are torqued last. The Workshop manual, for some reason, shows that the M10 bolts "8" and "10" are at the front of the LH head and at the rear of the RH head which, although it should not really matter, does not make sense. The torquing sequence of one head should be the left-right mirror image of the other head, as shown in the attached extract from the Jaguar Dealer Training manual:

Just what i was looking for, thank you!

Old 11-27-2018, 10:25 AM

The timing cover/crankshaft seal is an approx 3" diam standard lip seal. (shown in the pic below at approx 1-o-clock). The harmonic balancer also has a smaller rubber "O" ring that fits inside a groove inside the harmonic balancer taper, this also should be replaced, (it is shown in the pic below at approx 11-o-clock), it is the thin rubber "O" ring, in the pic it is incomplete because it is the old one which has broken and is missing the top 30 degrees or so when it was removed, as yours also probably will be. Be sure to replace it with a new one.

[/QUOTE]

So I'm looking over the parts I've ordered and it does not look like the timing cover gasket I bought includes the crankshaft seal or harmonic balancer o-ring as I first thought. I've found this: part no XR81139 which I think is the o ring, can anyone please confirm. I'm struggling to find a part no for the crankshaft seal however. Does it go by any other name?

Old 11-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

The correct cam timing is at NOT TDC. Correct cam timing is 45 degrees ATDC.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
The correct cam timing is at NOT TDC. Correct cam timing is 45 degrees ATDC.
Thanks, I've got the crank locking pin in the flywheel so its set at whatever point it locks to, and will be using the cam locking will set it to correctly match that.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Follow the Workshop Manual procedures for fitting the VVT units to the each camshaft so they're in the correct position when mounting the secondary timing chains.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

So I'm looking over the parts I've ordered and it does not look like the timing cover gasket I bought includes the crankshaft seal or harmonic balancer o-ring as I first thought. I've found this: part no XR81139 which I think is the o ring, can anyone please confirm. I'm struggling to find a part no for the crankshaft seal however. Does it go by any other name?[/QUOTE]

The harmonic balancer "O" ring (XR81139) can be found here............
https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Eng...0-7705ab188f07

Timing cover lip seal (AJ83698) can be found here.................
https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Eng...c-9598db09fd04

As it is a standard lip seal the AJ83698 can also be found at regular parts suppliers at a more reasonable price............
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ad=47433948012

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head install question