XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door problem

Every time I open the driver's door, there is a loud "bang". It is not like it is squeaking like an old door, it is louder. Anyway, I don't see anything immediately wrong and the door is straight, so I figure I need some oil/grease. What exactly should I buy to solve this problem? It happened after the car was sitting all winter in my garage. Every time I open the door the sound is loud that I think the door is going to fall off, but again nothing visually wrong/broken that I can see.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Sounds like the mechanism that holds the door open seized up over winter. I would try a bit of WD40 on it up inside the door, plus grease the bit you can see.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

If you don't tighten the checkarm fasteners you will be taking the car to a body shop for welding the checkarm mount panel on the door 'A' pillar area. Try removing the foam packing and tighten the 8mm nuts (I think that is the size or maybe 10mm) on the door studs to stop the 'popping' or the sheet metal will tear and the mount will detach. Eventually the noise stops and you will feel the door just glide and have no detents as the door is opened and closed. Then it is the 'sucks to be you' as you have 'gone too far' problem and the body shop will be your recourse. The door will have to be rewelded in that area.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
McTheKnife (05-13-2015)
Old 05-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll second Bob's response. Same thing happened to me, but was able to repair using 2 fishplates I made. Check it before it tears through the door metal.

Larry

Old 05-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

This seems to be what has happened to mine. I read this and thought I would try tightening the strap because the door has always "clicked" when I open it. I could only find one (10mm) nut though, so I took a photo on my phone (because I can't see in there) and saw that the bottom nut has disappeared into the door, and the metal has snapped.

Since tightening the top nut it feels a little better, but seeing as I've had the car 2 years and it's always "Clicked" I'm hoping it's something I can get away with a little longer. Perhaps this is something else that can be added to the "Things to check before buying an XJ8" list?

Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Default Can somebody confirm exactly what to tighten?

Hi,

Thanks for all your responses. Just a little confused what exactly to tighten? Do I tighten the nut that is on the hinges? I read the post about removing the foam packing, but what's that, is that the black rubber stuff? And if yes, are there are other nuts to tighten behind the black rubber stuff?

Chris

Old 06-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Default I figured it out

I figured out what to tighten - well actually I tighten everything I could find - but after the removing the foam packaging; tightening the nuts inside the door made all the difference. It is a lot better than before; and now only it makes a clicking sound once the door is fully opened. So not sure if it is 100% perfect but definitely much better. I can tighten the upper nut really well, but the bottom nut doesn't have any resistance when I try to tighten it. I also put some white lithium grease on the hinges and the arm.

Milowokie (06-21-2017)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The noise on mine was a broken door check link base plate. The click/pop as I would describe it drove me nuts. I tightened everything and lubed everything till it was dripping but it was still more of a pop/click than the other 3 doors in the car.

I ended up removing the door check link assy and found the metal was broken where it was bolted to the door. I got a new check link and now my door is as quiet and smooth as any other door in the car.

If your driver door is even slightly more noisey than any other door in your car CHECK FOR THIS CONDITION and replace the link before it damages the door panel due to added stresses because only one bolt is really holding it in place.

Hint...if you are robbing from a parts car don't go to the driver door. Get it from one of the other ones because they likely will not have as much use. The one I robbed from my 2000 XJ8 Parts Car with only 50,000 miles had a hairline crack. I ended up with one from a rear door.

Last edited by Sinister 1; 06-10-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Milowokie (06-21-2017)
Old 05-13-2015, 04:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Loud clicking or banging when opening door

A simple fix for a potentially serious problem. I put up with the passenger door doing this for over a year but when the driver's side started doing it as well decided something had to be done.

I've attached a couple of pictures taken through a small mirror of the foam and the bolts that need to be tightened. A crack in the metal support is evident.

Attached Thumbnails Door problem-doorfoam.jpg   Door problem-doormech.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by McTheKnife:
Jhartz (05-13-2015), jrb53 (03-29-2020), Milowokie (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks to all who commented on here.

Mine (driver's door) was making a click, that developed into a clunk, the other doors click but a squirt of white grease stopped it, not so with the driver's door.

Pulled the foam out and, using a mirror, saw that there was already a washer under each nut....someone had been in before me....

But, with the trusty 10mm socket, I managed to nip up the top bolt and discovered the bottom one was loose. Tightened that, and centred washer and all is silent again.

I guess with 17 years and 155,000 miles under its belt that door has been open and closed many, many times.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Reinforcement plate for this problem

I recently had this same issue on my 03. Many thanks to this forum for steering me where to look for the problem.

My check arm had actually broken as well, and in looking around for a replacement part, I found that Motorcars Ltd also has a custom made "reinforcement plate" specially made for this situation. Seems like a good step up from washers alone but short of the trouble of re-welding the door frame at a body shop.

Their part # is GMD1983AB.PLATE and presently the page on their site is https://motorcarsltd.com/gmd1983ab-plate.html

See pics...

Broken checkarm

the door frame damage

new checkarm with plate

Old 04-03-2020, 01:19 AM
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I had this very same problems many years ago. I remember getting a modification kit for the mount of the door catch. Essentially a large plate that gets bolted in place and provides more strength for the mount of the door catch. I tried to find a receipt / part number, but I can’t find anything anymore.

I seem to recall it was an original Jaguar modification kit? Not sure, maybe somebody knows what I am talking about? As long nothing has come apart and the mounting position of the door catch bracket is still pretty much intact, this modification is a very simple way of strengthening this whole assembly. Never had any more problems since. Easy DIY job, bit fiddly, that is all.

Jeroen