XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Exterior Door Moulding Removal? XJ8L vs Vanden Plas? also door latch removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior Door Moulding Removal? XJ8L vs Vanden Plas? also door latch removal

hello,

we got a replacement rear door today. same color, but the "new" one is from a vanden plas. our xj8L has a simpler, smaller body side molding running down the length of the door. the new one has a chrome-like strip on top of the colored strip.

can anyone reveal how this trim is removed?

also, i have to switch exterior door latches. of course the one from the VDP is also quasi-chrome and the one on our xj8L is body colored. can someone tell me about removing the door latch / handle assembly from the door?

thank you very much.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VolvoP1900
hello,

we got a replacement rear door today. same color, but the "new" one is from a vanden plas. our xj8L has a simpler, smaller body side molding running down the length of the door. the new one has a chrome-like strip on top of the colored strip.

can anyone reveal how this trim is removed?

also, i have to switch exterior door latches. of course the one from the VDP is also quasi-chrome and the one on our xj8L is body colored. can someone tell me about removing the door latch / handle assembly from the door?

thank you very much.
The latch is held on by 2 small nuts on the inside of the door. Remove the inside panel to get there. Careful with the veneer insert, pry close-loose then slide rearward to lift away. (Fwiw, do not open the inside latch without it being firmly screwed onto the door. Small plastic frame breaks without the support of the handle structure.)

Old 06-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I actually found a u-tube video on the latch/ handle hardware. I think it's a guy named Robert that's posted a bunch of stuff about XJ8's. It's kind of a fiddly operation (IMHO) but if you're patient not too bad. I had to do all 4 of mine because some ham-handed previous owner pulled up too hard on them all and distorted the retaining plate. Check yours before you start, it might be something you want to re-form before it goes back together.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

The door trim is attached with double-sided adhesive tape. I used thin wire (along with solvent) to saw back and forth on this adhesive to remove both trim strips.

Note: It's possible to mark up the paint while doing this, but any nicks or scrapes should be covered by the non-Vanden Plas trim piece when it's put back in place with new tape (measure beforehand to be sure).

Last edited by Samilcar; 06-15-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you very much for all the replies and information. the shop will have to take care of the molding. it's clear that's well beyond me now that you've informed he how it is.

but now there's trouble because the driver's seat stopped moving and we need to move that seat forward to remove the B pillar trim to get to the wires and plugs for the new back door. there is no response at all from any of the buttons for driver's seat movement. no memory operation either. i plugged in a very good computer scan tool. it does not even find a seat module for the driver's side. the computer does find the one for the passenger's side and indicates no issues with it. (of course the passenger's seat is working perfectly.)

there is a wire disconnected under the seat, but it's just two wires with a small plug. actually the were cut where they go into their small plug. this is probably for the heated seat, which has never worked. i unplugged the same plug on the passenger's seat and that seat still moves.

i have read that unplugging the driver's seat module and plugging it back in MAY get the seat to work again at the time. but i dont see how it's possible to reach the three large plugs that go into the module. the seat is stopped now in a pretty low position, so there is little room to move.

any help?

thank you