XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

fitting projector headlights what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 08:22 AM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Default fitting projector headlights what you think?

hi guys I'm thinking to change the old headlights with these lights what you think?

Old 03-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Not easy I expect (and illegal in some places).

Much easier to use a brighter bulb.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

If you're going to retrofit projectors, do it right and use ones that were designed as a system. I don't know about those headlights in particular (no brand or model mentioned) so I can't comment on the quality. I'd stay away from most aftermarket automotive LED's for now, the tech just isn't there yet for an improvement over alternatives (HID etc). It might be okay if those projectors are designed specifically around those LED bulbs, but that's very rare in aftermarket (see example below for one such system).

There's a member on here who had a shop retrofit Morimoto Mini's into his OEM housings, that's the "correct" way to do a projector swap. It may be possible to use one of the aftermarket assemblies designed for Jeeps if they line up in size, don't think they do though. I've thought about doing a projector retrofit but haven't been able to justify it yet, also there's very little space in/around the OEM housings to do it.

Here's a couple examples of quality projector kits
for HID: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...ni-h1-7-0.html
for LED: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...rojectors.html

The best thing to do, with the least effort/expense, is to buy nice halogen bulbs (get the more expensive ones, but not the ones that have a blue coating all around), CLEAN the inside of the glass (makes a huge difference), and AIM your low beams properly (couple degrees below horizon for the cutoff). The OEM headlights are some of the better designed reflectors out there, and they work very well when all the above is done.

Last edited by nilanium; 03-19-2019 at 08:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 04:35 AM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
If you're going to retrofit projectors, do it right and use ones that were designed as a system. I don't know about those headlights in particular (no brand or model mentioned) so I can't comment on the quality. I'd stay away from most aftermarket automotive LED's for now, the tech just isn't there yet for an improvement over alternatives (HID etc). It might be okay if those projectors are designed specifically around those LED bulbs, but that's very rare in aftermarket (see example below for one such system).

There's a member on here who had a shop retrofit Morimoto Mini's into his OEM housings, that's the "correct" way to do a projector swap. It may be possible to use one of the aftermarket assemblies designed for Jeeps if they line up in size, don't think they do though. I've thought about doing a projector retrofit but haven't been able to justify it yet, also there's very little space in/around the OEM housings to do it.

Here's a couple examples of quality projector kits
for HID: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...ni-h1-7-0.html
for LED: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...rojectors.html

The best thing to do, with the least effort/expense, is to buy nice halogen bulbs (get the more expensive ones, but not the ones that have a blue coating all around), CLEAN the inside of the glass (makes a huge difference), and AIM your low beams properly (couple degrees below horizon for the cutoff). The OEM headlights are some of the better designed reflectors out there, and they work very well when all the above is done.
thank you the I think fitting projector into the original headlight is better choice.

​​​

Old 03-21-2019, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Here's info on the projector headlights a member had made for their x308, using the Morimoto Mini's

HID ILLUSIONZ: Jaguar XJR Morimoto Mini H1 Iris Quad Setup HID Retrofit Headlights

vincent661983 is the one who had it done, you may be able to PM him for more info

The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (03-22-2019)