XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Has Anyone Succeeded in Removing Foam from the Drivers side Blower Motor??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Has Anyone Succeeded in Removing Foam from the Drivers side Blower Motor??

Hello Gentlemen:

I grabbed my handy Torx and removed the panel on the driver's side in order to access the blower motor to remove what is likely a stray piece of foam insulation which is causing the blower motor to make a loud rumbling noise. I can clearly hear that the noise is from this side, not the passenger-side motor.

In any event, peering with a flashlight and hitting the recirc button, I see the little door slowly open. However, there is no way on this God's Earth that I can see anything past this door. It's several inches away from my face, which is smashed up to the opening under the steering wheel. I certainly can't see (or touch my my hands) anything near this door.

Before I drive myself nuts, has anyone successfully removed loose foam from this driver's side WITHOUT removing the dashboard? If so, did you simply slip a little grabber tool and BLINDLY try to grasp for something loose? The odds seem incalculable that I'd actually fish anything out totally blindly in this manner. It even looks like it would be tough to use a little mirror as the space is SO inaccessible. (And I'm a positive thinker!!!)

I wonder if something like this would be necessary, along with one of those little grabber tools? http://cgi.ebay.com/mini-7M-Tube-Sna...#ht_5477wt_934

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you very much,

SirJag

The original location of this post is apparently a dead thread, so posting it here.

Last edited by SirJag; 06-25-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJag
I wonder if something like this would be necessary, along with one of those little grabber tools? mini 7M Tube Snake Scope Inspection Waterproof Camera | eBay
Some of those borescopes come with an accessory kit including a magnet and hook that clip on the working end. You could do the same thing with a paper clip and some tape. Don't lose the hook or the foam will sound like silence in comparison.

Brutal pretty much says he's done it. At least, he hasn't said that it is limited to one side, and it is his technique to begin with.

Sometimes you can get a better angle from farther away. Try from the passenger side. A mirror and bright penlight can also work wonders. See if you can scam an old makeup compact case that you can keep in your toolbox. The best are the folding mirror only units.If you whine long enough, usually a woman can scare one up from their secret cache of such things.

The following users liked this post:
SirJag (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by plums
Some of those borescopes come with an accessory kit including a magnet and hook that clip on the working end. You could do the same thing with a paper clip and some tape. Don't lose the hook or the foam will sound like silence in comparison.

Brutal pretty much says he's done it. At least, he hasn't said that it is limited to one side, and it is his technique to begin with.

Sometimes you can get a better angle from farther away. Try from the passenger side. A mirror and bright penlight can also work wonders. See if you can scam an old makeup compact case that you can keep in your toolbox. The best are the folding mirror only units.If you whine long enough, usually a woman can scare one up from their secret cache of such things.

Thanks Plums. I'll take a photo of the room I have to work with and post it. Since it's on the driver's side blower motor, looking at the passenger side won't be of any help. I checked the JTIS today and here's the process for removing the dash to get to the blower motor:

Driver Side Blower MotorRemove upper steering column; refer to 57.40.02. Remove driver stowage compartment.Remove screw.Remove compartment. Remove driver footwell duct.Remove screw.Remove duct. Remove cable tie. Remove duct connecting blower assembly to heater / cooler unit.Remove screws.Remove duct. Disconnect harness connector from blower assembly.Detach connector from mounting.Disconnect connector.Discard cable ties. Remove blower assembly.Slacken nut.Slacken bolt (´A´ post side), remove remaining bolt.Remove blower.

Doesn't LOOK too bad on screen, but it's likely one of those things that's far more hassling than it looks.

I'm still hoping to hear from someone re: if they were able to use the "fish out the foam" method on the driver's side.

SirJag

Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Foam

I am having the same problem with my '98 XJ; also on the driver's side. I have removed whatever is possible to access the blower motor; I snipped off the plastic cross members in front of the recirc door (they have no structural value) and tried to peer into the blower with a flashlight and mirror, also with my face smashed against whatever. I can see the foam; alas, no way to reach in, particularly if you have juggle light, mirror, grabbing tool, all at the same time. So . . . I have decided to go to the next level and ordered an inspection camera online. Cost: 106 smackeroonies including tax, license, shipping, handling and so forth. I have not received it as yet. Hopefully it won't bite me in the bottom and solves the problem. The camera is actually on "Harbor Freight" but I ordered it from somebody else and saved 20 bucks. Well, wish me luck. If I can fix because of it I will be deliriously happy.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by meistro
I am having the same problem with my '98 XJ; also on the driver's side. I have removed whatever is possible to access the blower motor; I snipped off the plastic cross members in front of the recirc door (they have no structural value) and tried to peer into the blower with a flashlight and mirror, also with my face smashed against whatever. I can see the foam; alas, no way to reach in, particularly if you have juggle light, mirror, grabbing tool, all at the same time. So . . . I have decided to go to the next level and ordered an inspection camera online. Cost: 106 smackeroonies including tax, license, shipping, handling and so forth. I have not received it as yet. Hopefully it won't bite me in the bottom and solves the problem. The camera is actually on "Harbor Freight" but I ordered it from somebody else and saved 20 bucks. Well, wish me luck. If I can fix because of it I will be deliriously happy.
Hey Meistro... that's what I'm going to do next. I found a cheaper cam that hooks to a laptop for the display. This is going to be like performing endoscopic surgery. Although I have an extended warranty, it over covers replacement if the motor DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. Sigh. Let me know how it works for you. I'm going to order that cam now.

SirJag

Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJag
Hey Meistro... that's what I'm going to do next. I found a cheaper cam that hooks to a laptop for the display. This is going to be like performing endoscopic surgery. Although I have an extended warranty, it over covers replacement if the motor DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. Sigh. Let me know how it works for you. I'm going to order that cam now.

SirJag
I had the same problem about 5 years ago. IIRC, I removed the drivers side coin tray that is to the left of the steering wheel on the knee bolster area. I think there is a screw at the top front. Remove that and get a thin metal coat hanger and put some tape on one end and elongate the hanger by bending it. Then fish out the foam via the removed coin tray area. It took about 20 mins. I found the procedure on the Jaguar roadfly forums.

SirJag (07-01-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Burmaz gets the correct proceedure award!!!!!!!. Ive done many of these over the years. Yes a small powerfull led pen light works wonders for seeing the foam, as does starting and stopping the blower squirrel cage fan till you see the foam and can get to it. Then latch it with a bent coat hanger(i use a long pic with a 90* on the end) and pull it out

SirJag (07-01-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Thumbs up Foam in Blower

Hello Sir Jag

You might get to do your surgery before me. I am waiting for my camera and it is being sent by Snail Mail; so probably a couple of weeks.

I did not see the link to the endoscope on your message till I had ordered my camera (and it does not hook up to my laptop either). If I had, I would have ordered the endoscope instead; after all, it is only 33 dollars; a bargain at that.

In the meantime, I removed the fuse for the blower and use only the passenger side one. It is actually not working too badly and you might know it tends to get somewhat toasty here in California.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Hello Sir Jag

You might get to do your surgery before me. I am waiting for my camera and it is being sent by Snail Mail; so probably a couple of weeks.

I did not see the link to the endoscope on your message till I had ordered my camera (and it does not hook up to my laptop either). If I had, I would have ordered the endoscope instead; after all, it is only 33 dollars; a bargain at that.

In the meantime, I removed the fuse for the blower and use only the passenger side one. It is actually not working too badly and you might know it tends to get somewhat toasty here in California.
If you follow the procedure I described, you don't need a camera. Actually just unboxing and hooking up the camera would probably take 10 mins alone, possibly making this simple job take even longer. It only took me 20 mins to fix my fan without a camera.

SirJag (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by burmaz
I had the same problem about 5 years ago. IIRC, I removed the drivers side coin tray that is to the left of the steering wheel on the knee bolster area. I think there is a screw at the top front. Remove that and get a thin metal coat hanger and put some tape on one end and elongate the hanger by bending it. Then fish out the foam via the removed coin tray area. It took about 20 mins. I found the procedure on the Jaguar roadfly forums.
Hi Burmaz... are you saying that you simply fished out the foam blindly by inserting the hanger with tape on it and wiggled it around in the blower motor cage?

I looked in my car just now and I see the coin tray you're talking about. Tomorrow I will try this... and if it works, I owe you a beer or margarita... wherever you are. ;-)

I'll report back...

SirJag

Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 AM

Hello Sir Jag

Hi Meistro,

Well, Burmaz gave us a new option which I will try tomorrow. I suppose if the foam is loose, the tape can get it. I just have a picture in my head of a piece of foam that is wedged into something and a part of it is grinding against the squirrel cage. We shall see!

The trick is to fasten the (duct tape, I believe) well enough to the hanger so that it doesn't come undone. What a hassle THAT would be.

SirJag

Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

You could also try a really long set of surgical forceps.

A sixteen inch long pair is really handy for reaching and manipulating small objects.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Smile Foam

Hi Sir Jag,

Good luck with the tape tomorrow. I have been able to see my foam with the aid of a mirror and it is not loose at all. So, the tape would absolutely not work for me; also, my piece of foam kind of looks massive (exaggeration used for emphasis).

If you go the tape route, it should not be a big hassle to securely fasten it securely to the coat hanger or whatever implement you have available.

I happen to have several grabber tools of varying lengths available. You may have seen those I'm sure. There is a button on top and a claw at the bottom that pops out when you depress the button. I have purchased many of them over the years at Harbor Freight for not more than a buck or two. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pub...TnxLXjkhSeugeg

Boy, that's a long link.

Meistro

Old 07-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks Meistro... I ordered exactly that grabber a couple of days ago. The camera is coming from overseas, so I'll try the blind fishing method--maybe--before that arrives. My only concern is like you have... an AFFIXED piece of foam. I don't want to go in with tape and a hanger or grabber if that's the situation. With my luck I'll make something worse. I want to know what I'm going in after. I'm surprised you could even see anything with a mirror in that space. Did you remove the coin tray as Burmaz suggested in order to do so? And, perhaps, shine a flashlight into the mirror to shoot light into that space?

Thanks...

SirJag

Old 07-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Default Foam

Sir Jag,

Yes, I did remove the coin tray and also remember, I carefully snipped off the plastic cross members (not needed for structural purposes) on the heater case in front of the recirculating door. That gives you more space to stick things into. Then I used an automotive inspection mirror and a small flashlight to peer into the opening; like you said, shine the light onto the mirror and all that. Naturally, it is a pain to do because you are handling two pieces of equipment at the same time. In addition, the squirrel cage is to the right of course and therefore somewhat difficult to see. My foam is stuck out the outside of that fan just like a piece of cardboard that you put in your bicycle spokes when you were a kid. I don't know how strong the squirrel cage fan is, but I would err on the side of caution. Obviously if the foam is in that position, no amount of sticky tape would be able to dislodge that. Anyway, eventually we shall overcome; better than spending 1000 and have the dealer do it. Besides, the air works fine even with only one fan; so . . . no big rush.

Till later
Meistro

Old 07-03-2011, 02:14 AM

Good point, Meistro. The grabber is on the way too. If it weren't 117 outside it would be easier to do. I'll likely have to do it at night. Doesn't matter anyway, since the snake camera has its own light and I don't need light anywhere else but where it shines it.

I'll keep you -- and everyone else who could benefit from this -- posted.

SirJag

Old 07-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Angry 117

Sir Jag

Sounds like you're sweating your equipment off in AZ.

Meistro

Old 07-05-2011, 02:11 AM

Sir Jag

Sounds like you're sweating your equipment off in AZ.

Meistro
Actually, the CA desert, but just as hot. It's been real humid lately which is unusual for here. The heat alone is one thing... the humidity makes it absolutely intolerable. The second you step outside you wonder why you even took a shower. :-)

One thing is true... the Jag has amazing A/C. Cold as an Alaskan winter morn!

SirJag

Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Smile Victory

Hello Sir Jag,

Well, today I received my camera; I assembled it and tested it in the kitchen. I had no intention to actually try to do the surgery tonight. Then I thought, "Oh what the heck" and headed into the garage; just for pretend of course, not to actually do the work. So I stuck the camera in the heater case and sure enough I was able to see the foam. So I grabbed the grabber and stuck that in there too. Mind you, it is not all that smooth; neither is all skittles and beer. The grabber turned the fan around and the foam was not actually jammed in there. So, with a little huffing and puffing I was actually able to grab the first piece of foam; then the second one and maneuvered it out of the blower case one at a time. I replaced the fuse, turned on the engine and ac and voila: no more noise. Altogether 15 minutes time.

In retrospect I'd say that the sticky tape probably would work. I do think though, that Burmaz was lucky to get it done that quickly. Anyway, Sir Jag, there it is. I hope you will be successful.

On to the next job. I wonder whether it would be a good idea to remove the foam on the other side before it falls into the blower motor.

Later
Meistro

Old 07-06-2011, 02:36 AM

Hello Meistro:

I'm sitting here reading your post saying, "Wow... wow... wow!"

You know the old Murphy's Law thing, right? I just didn't think it would actually be so easy. 15 mins. HA! You know how much the dealer would have charged you? Firstly, of course, they wouldn't fish out the foam. They'd rip the entire dash apart, most likely, and charge you probably close to $1000 all in all. My local dealer charges $140/hour.

I'm impressed. Now I'm anxious to get that camera! Grabber should be here tomorrow.

>>I had no intention to actually try to do the surgery tonight. Then I thought, "Oh what the heck" and headed into the garage; just for pretend of course, not to actually do the work.

Got a good laugh from that... thanks. It sounds just like me! I'm sure I'll do the same.

Now that THAT job is done, you're well equipped with that camera to do all kinds of otherwise impossible tasks. I say leave the other side alone. Why go in there now when it's fine (which means the foam is where it's supposed to be, doing the job intended). "Don't fix what ain't broken."

Thanks again. This thread will be very helpful to others, no doubt.

I just hope I'm equally as "lucky."

SirJag

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Succeeded in Removing Foam from the Drivers side Blower Motor??