XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Have new scanner (iCarsoft i930 for Jaguar XJ) need to test it on another X308

Old 01-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Have new scanner (iCarsoft i930 for Jaguar XJ) need to test it on another X308

I have a new scanner I purchased online.

Getting a lot of NA (Not Available) returned from some of the tests, Key Transponder is one of them, also communication error with the Climate Controls operations and some other modules.

I like to find out if the communication issues are with the scanner or with our 2001 XJ8?

I am looking for a Jaguar Forum members that lives within a 25 radius of our home in Cheshire CT and has a Jaguar XJ X308 (1998 to 2003 model year).

I like to try to use the scanner on another XJ X308 vehicle.

I have a 30 day return agreement with the seller of the unit (iCarsoft i930 for Jaguar XJ X308 (1998 to 2003 model years). It expires within next 10 days.

I will be posting a new thread about the scanner after I finish all the tests.

Any help is appreciated.

Jim Lombardi

The following users liked this post:
Pete Mantell (02-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 06:57 PM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Can anyone help Jim out with some testing?

Any X308 owner living within a 25 mile radius of Cheshire, CT.

Graham

Old 01-26-2015, 07:33 AM
Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

hi Jim if you cannot get anyone close to you I will make the drive down to you. I have a 2000 xj8 which I have just done the timing chains on ,so a good drive would be in order. after the blizzard of course. jrb53

jimlombardi (01-29-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if this helps, but I have the same scanner I use on my 98 xj8.

Accessing some modules does seem a bit hit and miss. The main ones, abs, pcm, transmission, airbags work every time, however door, seat, climate and such not always. I don't ever recall seeing the security module listed.

When starting up the scanner, and it is listing the modules fitted, it scans them all, and I think there should be sixteen available on mine, but at most I get about 11.

Sometimes I can access the drivers seat module, other times it's just the passenger seat, same with door modules.

Not so much a problem for me as I will probably only use it for engine diagnostics now my abs faults are sorted.

jimlombardi (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hi puddled

Please look at this snapshot I took with my digital camera of the Help - tools screen - showing the software revisions that are on my i930 scan tool:

Please compare the revision listing with the ones on your i930 scan tool and let me know if they are the same. If not same, I need to know what is different.

Jim Lombardi

Old 01-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are the details from my scanner. Hope it helps

Attached Thumbnails Have new scanner (iCarsoft i930 for Jaguar XJ) need to test it on another X308-2015-01-29-20.54.26.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been looking at the exact same scan tool. Looks like a great deal.
As some of you know, most generic OBD2 scan tools do not cover the aux modules only the PCM and Transmission.
Jim, if you are happy with this tool, I will order one.
Thank you for your R & D.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry - I not had a lot of time to organize the information I have gathered.

The snow over the last few weeks has kept me from getting a lot of other things completed.

Getting a lot of NA (Not Available) returned from some of the tests, Key Transponder is one of them, also communication error with the Climate Controls operations.

I cannot recommend the icarsoft i930 at this time.

When time allows, I will be emailing the numerous communications errors to Mr. Barnett Davies: support@icarsoft.us at our technical service center.

Hope he can resolve all the issues I am finding with the scanner.

Jim Lombardi

Old 03-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, any updates on the carsoft i930 modules? I have a 1997 xk8 and lookin for abs and srs reader.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

So, 2 weeks ago I decided to buy an i930. I have scanned 3 of my eligible vehicles. My 2001 XJ8, my 1997 XK8 and my 1998 Discovery. I found the unit very user friendly and definitely worth the $150 Ebay price. My longer test on the XK8 allowed me to really analyze and scan all modules. I will post more info and photos when I scan again.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Mantell
So, 2 weeks ago I decided to buy an i930. I have scanned 3 of my eligible vehicles. My 2001 XJ8, my 1997 XK8 and my 1998 Discovery. I found the unit very user friendly and definitely worth the $150 Ebay price. My longer test on the XK8 allowed me to really analyze and scan all modules. I will post more info and photos when I scan again.
Pete - definitely interested in your test results. In particular, I'm trying to find a reader that can retrieve all the sensors from the Security Locking Module (SLM). I'm currently using AutoEnginuity v12.3.0, and it can communicate with the SLM, but is only showing me 22 sensors (even though it says there are 47 when connecting). I'm investigating an issue with the tail lights and (of course) those are included in the sensors it can't read (even on a vehicle without a fault)

-Steve

Old 05-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what happened? where is the conclusion? Some promising discussions but seem in vain! shall I invest in an i930 or not- is the question I ask myself?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 PM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Hi cellutron,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us!

Since we're a friendly group, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi,

Had problems with engine without the iCarsoft 930 would read any error codes (dtc's). Upgraded to latest software version and it reads codes it before would ignore.

Just my humble comment. I don't know if there are other cheaper/better readers out there.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts
Default re. i930

I have had the a few issues so far with my i930. on the 03 STR it scans 22 out of 22 moduals on boot up,then it wont read or diognse the engine ecu only clears the codes if it had any dont think there was any, theres a few other moduals it doesnt communicate with, but mostly reads and clears the rest !
on the 03 XKR, it scans 20 out of 20 moduals , then It wont read most moduals and if it does read any it wont erase codes off any thing !
just the same old message communication failure with cars ecu with four options to check! mines only a month old and thay said it was the latest up date for it. going to have to check i think.
on the upside the customizable graphs are awsome.
i have emailed icar soft and am hoping for some help seems a bit weard that
it works on some ,but not all of the available moduals!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...con_bricks.gif

Don B (05-29-2019)
Old 06-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Reply from icarsoft !

Update !
I've been pestering icarsoft this is about 1/16 of the communication I've had with them ! I had to get a bit snappy to get any action in some emails not posted here ,the reply is blatantly vauge but thay finally got back to me with this anyways ! Hopefully this works !
This did work on the xkr
Still to try it on the str!

Dear Sir,

How are you ?

About your problem, engineer replied as below:

Engineer said after entre system successfully,
pls turn off the ignition for 5 seconds and restart again.
Then read code. Before clearing code,
pls also turn off the ignition for 5 seconds and then restart again .

About S-TYPE engine code reading failure, engineer said they need to find a car to test.

Thank you.
Have a nice day.

Thanks
Sincerely,

Grace Sterling
USA Headquarters
Sales Engineer / Order Center

Ask no one, ask iCarsoft.
Trusted by DIYers of auto diagnosis over 60 countries around the globe.

Icarsoft Technology Inc.
www.icarsoft.us / www.icarsoft.com

iCarsoft USA Headquarters
Address : K St. Suite 300 N.W. Washington D.C., 20006 United States
Tel: 001 (703) 890-6001
Email: cardiag@icarsoft.com cardiag@icarsoft.us cardiag@icarsoft.net

iCarsoft

Date: 2015-05-27 12:20
To: cardiag
Subject: Re: hi small diognosis issue
Hi there is two cars I'm dealing with here cheers.

Year: 2003
Make: JAGUAR
Model: XK8
Colour: Green
Submodel: XKR8 4.2 COUPE 2DR
Body Style: Sports Car
VIN: SAJAC41K533A34414
And

Year: 2003
Make: JAGUAR
Model: S-TYPE
Colour: Black
Body Style: Saloon
VIN: SAJKC03S531M76208
Plate: FGG244
Engine No: 1B-0209231610
Chassis: SAJKC03S531M76208

Sent from my iPhone

On 27/05/2015, at 13:28, cardiag wrote:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

Would you pls tell the car model, producing year and VIN number of your car ? Thank you.
Then engineer can do further check on the problem.

Thank you for your support to iCarsoft .
Have a nice day.

Thanks
Sincerely,

Grace Sterling

Date: 2015-05-24 11:24
To: support
Subject: hi small diognosis issue
hi i have a new i930 for jaguar .it works fine for some options but for others not so good , it will read a fault code but when i go to remove code it says to check the connection at the obd2 port or check the ignition is on .
on the S type R it has this fault it wont deleat engine codes and says connection failure check this and that! but checks and clears all other moduals fine
on the xkr there is a fault with the adaptive suspention in the car, and it wont read a code and it wont dealet any codes thro out all the moduals
but does read codes off all moduals bar the suspention modual it just keeps saying the same message to check this and that connection failure ..
no bent pins or tabs , no corrosion nothing i can see rong with the obd mail or femail .

can you please shed some light on this issue thanks ?

Old 05-29-2019, 07:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Scanner advice for my 1999 XJ8L

I hope you have a chance to help me. I need some advice. I wish to purchase a diagnostic scanner for my 1999 XJ8L and I am getting conflicting advice on which model of scanner to purchase. I have a CEL after the timing chains were replaced a month ago and a ABS light from about 6 months ago. Any suggestions? Thank you.

QUOTE=puddled;1149465]I don't know if this helps, but I have the same scanner I use on my 98 xj8.

Accessing some modules does seem a bit hit and miss. The main ones, abs, pcm, transmission, airbags work every time, however door, seat, climate and such not always. I don't ever recall seeing the security module listed.

When starting up the scanner, and it is listing the modules fitted, it scans them all, and I think there should be sixteen available on mine, but at most I get about 11.

Sometimes I can access the drivers seat module, other times it's just the passenger seat, same with door modules.

Not so much a problem for me as I will probably only use it for engine diagnostics now my abs faults are sorted.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Received 110 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is a post about scanners
Bluetooth and torque app will read and reset your CEL but not ABS
As you see icarsoft is hit and miss option, nice little tool i have tried but didn't work for me (and others) and i was lucky to be able to return it to seller
Foxwell works on jags it is bit erratic but reads ?all? extra modules, i have mine for sale on ebay,
Mongoose clone should do all that and more and is a cheapest option if you have a time and are tech seavy.
Bests

Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 AM

Thank you very much for responding.

I'm not very tech savvy however, I am willing to figure it out. I reached out directly to iCarsoft yesterday to two different support email addresses and received a response one right after the other with two conflicting answers to the same question. I sent them both a photo of my vin#. Now I am more confused than ever. I have a feeling that they may have answered them directly from China. Just a guess and it really doesn't matter. I now have lost faith in this brand entirely since I am unsure of being able to trust that I will be able to receive a refund if no results.

I also asked 6 ebay sellers if their products would work on my year and model. Only 2 said they would and one was a iCarsoft.

Also, my driver's seat function that brings the back forward is not working and the back is lower than is comfortable. Does the seat function on a scanner reset it and allow it to work properly?

Any suggestions anyone?

...below are the responses from iCarsoft. Just an FYI. I hope this helps. Going to keep digging.

My question to iCarsoft:
Need Scanner advice for my Jaguar 1999 XJ8LI hope you have a chance to help me. I need some advice. I wish to purchase a diagnostic scanner for my 1999 XJ8L and I am getting conflicting advice on which model of scanner to purchase. I have a CEL after the timing chains were replaced a month ago and a ABS light from about 6 months ago. Any suggestions? Vin # In attached photo.

RESPONSE EMAIL #1 RECEIVED 5/29/19
Hello Crystal,
Nice day.
Thanks for your email
Your car is 1999 Jaguar XJ.
As it's a little old,the supported systems are limited.
What functions do you need?
You can try the new released item LR V1.0/LR V2.0.
They can support engine,ABS,SRS,transmission
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Sincerely,
Barnett Davies,
USA Headquarters
Sales Engineer / Order Center

RESPONSE EMAIL #2 RECEIVED 5/29/19

iCarsoft.us Tracy Miller <cardiag@icarsoft.com>

May 29, 2019, 8:43 PM (11 hours ago)

Dear Customer,
Thanks for your inquiry.
As we checked the VIN for your car information ,
found that our software do not support your car in the list as it's a little old type .

So we're sorry that our scanner not suitable for your car.
We will add the software for old cars in the future ,but for now cannot meet your needs .
Thank you for confirming with us .

Have a nice day

Old 05-30-2019, 01:40 PM

Did you get my reply. You can private message me. I can help with scanner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have new scanner (iCarsoft i930 for Jaguar XJ) need to test it on another X308