XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

HELP - Losing Coolant/Water Boiling w/ No Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy HELP - Losing Coolant/Water Boiling w/ No Leak

Hey, all,

I recently had a pretty bad leak from my thermostat housing. I replaced the thermostat and housing with the upgraded aluminum part, and swapped the coolant crossover pipe as well. Filled it back up with plain water, as I didn't want to waste coolant if there was another leak. Started it up and had no signs of leaks.

Drove it about 3 minutes down the road and noticed a popping/gurgling sound. Puller over and turned off the car, and the water inside the overflow/fill tank was boiling. The extra pressure was forcing the boiling water out through the secondary overflow tank in the left front bumper. Display read, "Engine coolant low", which is expected, since it just spit a bunch out. I filled it back with water and drove it home. After two minutes it said low coolant again, and was boiling as I pulled in. Engine started running a little rough.

Question: is there a chance the head gasket could be leaking and that's why I'm leaking coolant so fast? Could this also be causing the boiling, or is it more likely because of air in the system?

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:

I bled the system, with heater on, water boiling stopped, so I'm pretty sure that was the issue. However, car began idling very rough, oil smoke began coming from the left side catalytic converter area and out the left side tailpipe. It had a very tough time idling, hovered at about 450 RPM, and when given any gas, it would stall. Checked the oil cap, and it was milky.

So, I'm pretty sure it's a head gasket issue. Now the question is, what do I do about it?

I don't think I can take it into a dealer, because I'm not sure what they'll charge, and I'm pretty tight on funds as of now.

I know how terrible sealers are, but I can't think of any other solution as of now. If this is the way I have to go, does anyone recommend any gasket sealer? I have used Blue Devil in the past, on a different vehicle, and it worked very well.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

#ijustwanttodrivemycaragain #sircarlburger

Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Due to the tube diameters in a Jaguar radiator you will cause more damage by using sealants. Not only will you need to change the head gaskets but you will need a new radiator and the problem will still not be solved.
Changing the head gaskets is the only solution.
Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news.
Depending upon your mechanical skills it might be cheaper to by a good used engine than tearing into replacing the head gaskets. The heads are known for dropping valve seats when overheated and repairs can get expensive.