XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Here is a DIY I created for JTIS Install & How to use it

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Here is a DIY I created for JTIS Install & How to use it

Hi
This DIY was created when I was doing the testing of the JTIS CD that I mailed to SirJag. It has instructions for every step of the install with screen captures and information about each step. It also has the steps on how to use the JTIS functions along with captures of the screens with a pointer indictating what option to take.
Here is the DIY PDF file: (increase the zoom to 125% or even 150% to get the best viewing of the pages in Adobe Reader).

JTIS instructions & illustrations.pdf

Please view DIY and advise of any changes you think it may need.

This DIY was created when I tested the JTIS install on a Windows XP 32 bit operating system. You will have to take additonal steps to install it on other operating systems with 32 bit PCs.
Research is being done on how to install on 64 bit PCs.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-07-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ok,

Looks like I have an older file.

I need to do a new dl so we are dealing with the same thing.

One Q, I have a 2003 VDP. Will this manual apply?

thx

Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hi ant17
Actually the CD files in the displayed DIY are from an older JTIS CD than the JTIS 21.
I think it does not matter. All of important software files have creation dates in the early 1990s. If you were able to get through the JTIS install on your Vista 32 bit PC and it is not working properly, then you need to reinstall DA035 with the setup.exe in Disk1 folder. As I mentioned in my email to you that your PC should be booted up in Safe Mode (F8) and then run the DA035 install from disk1 folder (setup.exe).

Try it and let me whatever happens either way. Please capture (write down) any error message exactly as they are on the screen and email them to me. That will help me track down the solution to the problem.

Jim Lombardi

Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 AM

This is the message. Same thing in safe mode.

"another application is currently using DAO files, close and continue, yes or no?"

Old 04-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Default Here is the info from Microsoft on DAO issue

Hi ant17
Microsoft article weblink: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169497

Here is what I found on the Microsoft website about "another application is currently using DAO files"
  • Another application has opened one of the DAO/Jet DLL's. When a DLL is loaded in memory, Windows treats the file on the disk it was loaded from as read-only. This is by design.
  • The read-only attribute of the file that is being updated has been turned on.
Here is the solution:
""""To resolve the first problem, if one of the DLL's that DAO is trying to update is loaded in memory, then shut down all of your applications and tell the setup program to continue. It is a good idea to perform a setup with all applications shut down for this very reason.

The second problem is not as obvious because the setup program cannot distinguish between a file with a read-only attribute set and a file that is currently loaded into memory. The setup program will not identify the specific file(s) that have read-only turned on.

Having the read-only flag set for DLL's is usually used as a low-level virus protection, but it can also hamper the operation of programs using those DLL's or attempting to upgrade them. From a DOS command prompt, go to the Windows directory and type:
attrib -r *.* /s

You may encounter some files that cannot be set as read-only. As long as they are not EXE's or DLL's, it is not a problem.

You may also want to go to the \Program Files\Common Files directory and perform the same procedure because DAO/Jet and other shared components are often installed there as well.""""

If you booted up using f8 (safe-mode) then you should not have any applications running. Do a CTL ALT DELETE to bring up the task manager. Open the Application tab to make sure there are no applications listed.

To get to the DOS command prompt, go to start button, then pick run. type in the word cmd.exe (special dos command for long names use)this will get you into the DOS screen.
Here are 3 jpeg files showing how to do the command lines recommended by Microsoft:
The third file shows you how to close the DOS command window by typing "exit".
Here is a DIY I created for JTIS Install & How to use it-jtis-dao-files-use-fix-1.jpg
Here is a DIY I created for JTIS Install & How to use it-jtis-dao-files-use-fix-2.jpg
Here is a DIY I created for JTIS Install & How to use it-jtis-dao-files-use-fix-3.jpg

Email me your phone number if you get stuck and have concerns about doing this. I will call you and walk you through it.

Here are all of the command lines (you can copy and paste them into the dos screen command line as needed).
cd\windows
attrib -r *.* /s
cd\program files\common files
attrib -r *.* /s
exit

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-08-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

good assist Jim!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

When I first installed, it seemed OK, but none of the buttons in the menu worked. Before I tried the safe mode to RE-install, I simply closed all my 18 million open windows and reinstalled as before. A msg said that I needed to install the DAO file and I followed the directions to do that... and now all is fine. I run VISTA. I did right click on the exe file and selected Compatibility Mode SP2 so this might has helped.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

SirJag

The following users liked this post:
jimlombardi (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlombardi

some observations:

An additional technique for tracing file permissions is to temporarily turn on full auditing.

If a compatible version of DAO is already installed, then someone might decide to skip the DAO install.

There are the setup log files available for tracing.

filemon and regmon can sometimes be helpful.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this correct thread to report this, but I cannot install JTIS (Mediafire links found post #488 on "Christo's" thread) on Windows XP
I have tried the ISO/ BURN/ Zipped options and get the same error each time i attempt to extract: "Packed data CRC failed on disc1"
Have tried winzip, win7, windows own zip programme, Daemon Tools and Magic ISO. No matter how many times I download the files or whatever software I use it's the same message.
I haven't seen much feedback on these links (the thread was closed) so not sure if that might be the fault?

Last edited by blarchitect; 04-27-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
jimlombardi (05-01-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by blarchitect
Not sure if this correct thread to report this, but I cannot install JTIS (Mediafire links found post #488 on "Christo's" thread) on Windows XP
I have tried the ISO/ BURN/ Zipped options and get the same error each time i attempt to extract: "Packed data CRC failed on disc1"
Have tried winzip, win7, windows own zip programme, Daemon Tools and Magic ISO. No matter how many times I download the files or whatever software I use it's the same message.
I haven't seen much feedback on these links (the thread was closed) so not sure if that might be the fault?

Was your dl a 470mb file?
Mine was, and it extracted just fine using winrar.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hi blarchitech
I started another JTIS thread this morning. "JTIS Auto Burn download worked perfectly":
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...85/#post343786

There are instructions and a JPEG showing the files after download also shows the JTIS Disk 1.exe that burns the CD. The JTIS Disk 1.exe is created from the 5 download files when JTIS_Disc_1_Auto_Burn.part1.exe is run.

I did the download this morning and it created the CD for me. I also tested the CD on my wife's PC. Works great.

Jim Lombardi

Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hi blarchitech
I down loaded the 3 JTIS ISO self extracting files sucessfully. But when I ran JTIS Self Extracting ISO Disc 1.part 1 of 3.exe - I also got the error message "Packed data CRC failed in Jtis Disc 1.iso" tried the JTIS ISO self extracting download.
Here is a JPEG file showing the down loaded files and the error message popup:
Here is a DIY I created for JTIS Install & How to use it-jtis-packed-data-crc-error-self-exacting-iso-download.jpg

Thank you for letting the forum know that there is a problem with the ISO self extracting download files.

Jim Lombardi

Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Jim,
Thanks for taking the time to assist.
I renamed the files so they all had underscores and the extraction completed the three files, but the same error message appeared at the end.
I was able to close the installation and proceed with your DAO and Installation info and hey presto it installed.
Earlier attempts crashed the program as soon as any of the JTIS Menu items were selected.
Cheers

Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hi
This DIY was created when I was doing the testing of the JTIS CD that I mailed to SirJag. It has instructions for every step of the install with screen captures and information about each step. It also has the steps on how to use the JTIS functions along with captures of the screens with a pointer indictating what option to take.
Here is the DIY PDF file: (increase the zoom to 125% or even 150% to get the best viewing of the pages in Adobe Reader).

Attachment 9266

Please view DIY and advise of any changes you think it may need.

This DIY was created when I tested the JTIS install on a Windows XP 32 bit operating system. You will have to take additonal steps to install it on other operating systems with 32 bit PCs.
Research is being done on how to install on 64 bit PCs.

Jim Lombardi
I would like to add that Data folder on Disc1 contains general procedural notes pertaining to a given repair of a Jaguar year model. These files(text) have an sgm extention and can be read in Netscape browser when SoftQuad Panorama reader is added to it. Netscape browser can be configured to open .sgm files.

Burza
1998 Vanden Plas

Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Upon selecting DTC in jtis, my car is not available, so should I select the next year back? 2002?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Ant 17

Do you have the JTIS 21 CD (it goes up to and includes XJ Range 2004)?

Here are your choices to get to the right DTC (It is based on your VIN number):
Here are the DTC summaries for XJ Range for 2002 and for 2003.50 (2003 1/2) there is not one for 2003:

JTIS XJ DTC Summaries 2002 to 2003.5.pdf

If you do not have the JTIS 21 CD, post a reply in this thread and I will give you the download link to mediafire.com where I uploaded it.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-11-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Cash Jackson (11-15-2016)
Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 AM

Jim can i have the V21 mediafire link too?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 AM

Hi Ant 17

Do you have the JTIS 21 CD (it goes up to and includes XJ Range 2004)?

Here are your choices to get to the right DTC (It is based on your VIN number):
This are the DTC summaries for XJ Range for 2002 and for 2003.50 (2003 1/2) there is not one for 2003:

Attachment 10197

If you do not have the JTIS 21 CD, post a reply in this thread and I will give you the download link to mediafire.com where I uploaded it.

Jim Lombardi
Yes, I have 21. Mine is F536**

Last edited by ant17; 05-11-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Years after this thread is started---

I am finding it helpful. Thank you to all who made it! I can't wait till I can start test driving some XK8's! Just gotta sell some toys first!