XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Interlock clicking with every brake press

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Interlock clicking with every brake press

Ok, another one that's got me stumped. This could just be that I never paid attention before. I always noticed the interlock clicking when I press the brake pedal, to move from park. However, now I'm noticing that I hear it on EVERY brake pedal press, not just at a standstill in Park. So if I'm driving down the road and have to tap the brakes - CLICK. Every single press. The only search results I could find this morning were dealing with it not working at all, or people asking if the click was normal when they touch the brake but those were alluding to initial shifting out of Park.

Recently, I had a shifter cable issue, which I replaced and after some trial and error (and a hard reset) had cleared up. Now I can shift properly, all gears, and I thought everything was good to go. But then I realized I was noticing the interlock clicking on every press.

So is that normal, and I just never paid attention to it over the last two years? Or is there perhaps another switch somewhere along with the park location switch in the shifter that I might have knocked loose? Something that would disable the interlock after it's removed from Park? I did pull the top of the J-gate apart when my cable froze initially, trying to get it to move enough to get in gear, and I know I had knocked about the switch for when it's in Park, but since that still seems to be working - it still locks when I'm in Park and won't release - I figured it was fine.

The car runs and drives fine, but I'm trying to avoid excessive wear and tear on the interlock solenoid from the constant activation. Unless it's normal and I just became more aware after having the shifter issue.

Thoughts?

Old 04-25-2017, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

That's weird i hear that click whenever i apply the brakes when starting the car, moving to/from a gear, letting go of the brakes, and just braking.

Last edited by omgimali; 04-25-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Maybe the selector is not recognizing OUT-OF-PARK. There is a mounting plate with a micro switch and a LINEAR SWITCH on the right side of the gear selector lever housing for supercharged cars.

Check them for faults.

bob

Old 04-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

If the park microswitch is working right, if you have the car NOT in on and try to move the shifter out of park, the car should start beeping once the shifter is moved out of its rest spot. No need to actually shift since the interlock solenoid will prevent that, just move it as much as it can easily.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 PM

I'll double check the beeping without the car on, I hadn't thought of checking that yet. The linear is working fine as best as I can tell, but I'll check the other microswitches again. I've been hesitant to only since the car is running fine again, but I didn't want to dive back in if the interlock has been always clicking with the brake pedal even in Drive and moving and whatnot. Will do that tomorrow.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

I just took mine for a quick drive and tested the solenoid, I can definitely hear it when pressing the brake pedal in Park but don't hear it in R/N/D at all. I was standing with the parking brake engaged, just to make sure road noise didn't overwhelm the solenoid sound.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I'm pretty sure the BPM is the module that disengages the selector lever park lock when the brake pedal is applied. Can't remember for sure, don't feel like looking at the Electrical Guide now.

bob

Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 PM

So apparently, I fixed my issue? I'm pretty sure that replacing my wheel bearing did nothing to fix it, but once I dropped the jack, and got in and gave her a good spirited drive, I noticed on the way back, that the interlock had stopped engaging upon pressing the brakes in drive. It still works properly to release Park and such, but...

I have no idea what happened, what fixed what, what effected anything. But now I have a quieter ride via new bearing, and no more clicking on top of it. I count tonight as an overwhelming success.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:35 PM

Narrowed it down, it must be a switch or something somewhere playing hide and seek. I've noticed that it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's a giveaway though, since the auto door locks won't trigger, and that lets me know that the interlock will keep clicking. If I tap the console, 90% of the time it instantly locks, and stops clicking. Will have to keep an eye on it whilst looking for replacement goodies.