XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

intermittent no start - Fixed - FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default intermittent no start - Fixed - FAQ

I have a 2002 xj8 4.0 non-supercharged engine with intermittent starting problems. It fires up in the morning and runs perfectly. The problem lies after an hour or so long run, I turn off the engine and come out to start it later and there is no crank. Power to everything, dash lights up ,but no crank. Car will not jump off of another vehicle either. Let it sit overnight and it fires up the next day without a hitch. I can hear a faint clicking noise under the hood but nothing else happens. Took it to advanced auto and they said the battery, starter and alternator checked out fine. My assumptions: Battery-ok, Crank position sensor -ok (because it does start), I think my problem lies within starter relay or starter. There must be a bad connection or something heat sensitive. Any thoughts or will I be looking up the wrong tree?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

I had exactly the same problem, but amazingly it wasn't my Jag that was acting up, it was my g/fs Integra.

Problem was the contacts inside the starter solenoid. I followed advice from an Integra forum and bought a service kit which had new contacts in it. I fitted them and it's been great ever since.

Hopefully one of the Jag techs will chime in and confirm whether this is the problem or not, and also whether there is a cheap way to fix it by replacing only the contacts or whether you need to renew the whole starter/solenoid assembly

Old 02-20-2010, 02:44 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Easy way to tell if SARC's suggestion is the problem is to (when the failure mode has occurred) stick your head under the hood while someone else turns the key from run to start. See if the 'CLICK' is coming from the starter motor. If it is, he's likely found your problem - or, somehow, 12V is missing at the starter solenoid's high current input lug.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-20-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:14 AM

I replaced the starter about a week ago and everything has been fine ever since. The starter was remanufactured and only cost $127.95 after core rebate. Hope this helps. This is just a fourth car used for running around town and picking the kids up from school. My friend who is just a mechanic/classic car restorer had no problems putting it in. I didn't want to got through the expense of expensive no start doagnostics at a jag dealer or mechanic and it seems to have worked out. Many thanks to SARC and Quadmaniac for replying and directing my post. Thank you

Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical Issues

After having the same problem, changing the battery twice (First one would not hold a charge) and then changing the alternator (Voltage at battery fluctuated around 12.75 volts) AGAIN TWICE! I traced the problem to the connector at the false bulkhead... (Passenger side, under the tool tray..)
This is a brass post that the charging/battery wiring goes thru to get from the engine compartment into the body of the car. The wiring then passes thru the body to the trunk where it terminates in the large fuse assembly.
This connector was 'burnt' and the insulator(s) and mounting flanges had melted allowing the connections to become loose. I removed the entire assembly, cleaned with a wire brush, and reassembled with brass bolts and washers to assure a good tight connection. All of my electrical issues have gone away.
BTW... This has been an intermittent problem for almost two years..... NO ONE was able to provide answers...

The following users liked this post:
dsetter (06-17-2011)
Old 06-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Default intermittent no start is back

After 3 months I just experienced the same exact problem today. I turned the key and about 7 or 8 clicks come from the engine and that is it. Went back in mall for 30 minutes and it started right up. There has to some kind of bad connection with the battery or connectors or maybe starter relay-right? I ran the car about a half an hour before this so I am sure it is not flooded. Car doesn't even try to crank. New starter relay, battery? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Go into you trunk and look at the High Power Protection Module. We recently had two cars where the module was cracked giving you the intermittent starts. I was told that at times when the tire is removed / installed it would bump it causing it to crack. Be cautious and remove the battery terminal prior to checking in that area. By pulling a little on the cable you will see the module moving if it is cracked. I hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 PM

I will check that Gus. Earlier today, after the problem I had to drop the car off at the body shop. I was a victim of a hit and run that dented the whole left side. Just a note to those who have and old jag with just liability insurance. I was actually covered because my agent also signed me up for underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage. Make sure you all have this along with just liabilty. Will check that out in about a week.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bigcat01
I will check that Gus. Earlier today, after the problem I had to drop the car off at the body shop. I was a victim of a hit and run that dented the whole left side. Just a note to those who have and old jag with just liability insurance. I was actually covered because my agent also signed me up for underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage. Make sure you all have this along with just liabilty. Will check that out in about a week.
If that is not it you need to check the shifter selector switch we had a few cars that would not start in “P” but would in “N”. Just another option if the power module is not the answer.

In my case when it rains it pours! Good Luck!

Old 06-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Default intermittent no-start

I got the car back from the body shop about a week ago and the problem still persisted. I rechecked the battery cables, high power protection module, false bulkhead stud connectors and connections at starter and all look impeccable. I printed out 150 pages of a 2002 jaguar xj8 electrical guide to go through all relays and fuses. Behind the false bulkhead stud connectors there are some relays and thought it might be the starter relay. While investigating, the ignition coil relay was not "seated", so I pulled it out and re-seated it and everything has been fine since. I am 99% sure it was that relay ,but it was 105 degrees with about 110 percent humidity. Can anyone verify that the ignition coil relay can cause a no crank-no start problem?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am unable to say that the relay would have an effect on the no-crank but it could cause the no-start. If it is starting and the no-crank/no-start is non-existent then it is a good chance that you found it. When the relays go into the eng control module anything goes. Thanks for giving us this information that could help others.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet you have a P0560 code (System Voltage Malfunction) with a CEL. I have my 03 XJR at the dealership for the same problem that keeps ******* me but I feel like I'm getting close to solving it though. My problem is just like BIGCAT01's. I am going to send my service advisor this info to help the tech.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I would also check your battery.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I got the car back from the body shop about a week ago and the problem still persisted. I rechecked the battery cables, high power protection module, false bulkhead stud connectors and connections at starter and all look impeccable. I printed out 150 pages of a 2002 jaguar xj8 electrical guide to go through all relays and fuses. Behind the false bulkhead stud connectors there are some relays and thought it might be the starter relay. While investigating, the ignition coil relay was not "seated", so I pulled it out and re-seated it and everything has been fine since. I am 99% sure it was that relay ,but it was 105 degrees with about 110 percent humidity. Can anyone verify that the ignition coil relay can cause a no crank-no start problem?
From a quick look at the wiring diagram, it does not appear that a faulty/un-seated ignition coil relay would cause a no crank... however, in LHD vehicles, the ignition coil relay is right next to the starter relay. So it is certainly possible that, in a heat induced stupor, you might have mis-identified which one was not properly seated. I'd suggest you go back, look again and try to remember which one it was. See attached drawing.

Attached Thumbnails intermittent no start - Fixed - FAQ-relays.jpg  

Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-17-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
I would also check your battery.
I have! I have put a new (remanufactured) alternator in it 3 days ago. Also a new battery about 9 months ago and I still have the intermittent no start problem. It is currently at Hennessy Jaguar in Buckhead Atlanta. I have a code reader. The code is P0560 (System Voltage Malfunction). What do you know about that code?

Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Viapa
I have! I have put a new (remanufactured) alternator in it 3 days ago. Also a new battery about 9 months ago and I still have the intermittent no start problem. It is currently at Hennessy Jaguar in Buckhead Atlanta. I have a code reader. The code is P0560 (System Voltage Malfunction). What do you know about that code?
The P0560 is telling me that at the time it fails to start you battery voltage is not reaching the engine power fuse & relay block. You need additional help in tracking this down and I am talking about an additional body to watch a volt meter at the power terminal under the hood as you pull and tug on the wire and connectors from the battery to the engine compartment. I also wish to caution you on the hazards of fooling around with 12vdc. I am attaching diagrams to help. Also check your PM for my contact number.

Attached Thumbnails intermittent no start - Fixed - FAQ-97powerdist.jpg   intermittent no start - Fixed - FAQ-highpowerprotectionmodule.jpg   intermittent no start - Fixed - FAQ-starter-aj27-n-.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Default intermittent no start

My intermittent no start came back about a year later. I bit the bullet and took it to a jaguar dealer in charleston, sc. After going through the whole electrical system they said it was a bpm issue. They wanted say $800 for a new bpm with no guarantees. If I said go ahead with the new bpm and it doesn't work, the bpm is mine. I found a used bpm with my exact vcat label from a local mechanic and brought it down, didn't work. Well, to make a long story short they didn't know what the problem was. After giving them a nasty attitude, one of the mechanics had the exact same car and was willing to swap parts until they found the problem. It was a faulty exciter ring, about a thirty dollar part. After all said an done it cost me about $400. I hope this helps. Driving like a charm for 6 months and still get 26 mpg on the hwy with ac running. 22 mpg around town. Hope this helps. If you had my exact problems $30 part could be worth a try.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice way to follow through on your post bigcat...thanks

Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

My intermittent no start came back about a year later. I bit the bullet and took it to a jaguar dealer in charleston, sc. After going through the whole electrical system they said it was a bpm issue. They wanted say $800 for a new bpm with no guarantees. If I said go ahead with the new bpm and it doesn't work, the bpm is mine. I found a used bpm with my exact vcat label from a local mechanic and brought it down, didn't work. Well, to make a long story short they didn't know what the problem was. After giving them a nasty attitude, one of the mechanics had the exact same car and was willing to swap parts until they found the problem. It was a faulty exciter ring, about a thirty dollar part. After all said an done it cost me about $400. I hope this helps. Driving like a charm for 6 months and still get 26 mpg on the hwy with ac running. 22 mpg around town. Hope this helps. If you had my exact problems $30 part could be worth a try.
Please define exciter ring.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
I found a thread (4/15/11) on the ignition exciter ring here on this forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...er-ring-53165/

Brutal quote in thread:
"Pull the cowl around the column. The exciter ring is the black plastic ring around the ign switch with 2 wires. Unplug and the ohms should be 33.4. Anything else and replace it. Yes theyre avail seperatly"

Hey, We need to have Brutal us give the part number for this exciter ring that is on the ignition switch.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 06-17-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Quick Reply: intermittent no start - Fixed - FAQ