XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

My X308 Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My X308 Story

Hi guys, I just wanted to share my story on how I got my 308 and what I did to it and what I plan to do. First off I am 17 so this is my first car. I had planned on getting a p38 Range Rover but the opportunity came up that my dad's co worker was selling his 2003 XJ8. I hadn't seen the car until I bought it and really hoped it was the x350 not knowing much about jags. I test drove it and loved it. It is black with a cashmere interior Standard XJ8. I got excited and overpaid for it but it was in pristine condition especially for 118,00 miles.Immediately the exhaust fell off and had me worried about my choice. But 1 year and 4,000 miles later I have my license and a Jag that I absolutely love and am happy that I didn't en up in a X350. So far I added a wood roof console, umbrella straps, green center caps and badges and trunk button, a mix of a VDP and XJR grill (VDP surround with mesh inserts), Tray Tables, first aid kit, and 97 XJR wheels. Currently I am putting in front cup holders from a BMW 7 series and will put on the lower front chrome air intake piece. It needs some dents taken out and the paint work should be mopped. I love the way it drives its soft suspension and even in a nice area in NJ I get looks and comments all of the time. I like keeping the parts stock and a classy look and feel unlike many kids my age who garnish their cars with huge alloys and slam the suspension. I plan to work on hitting at least half a million miles just to disprove those who don't trust Jaguar's durability. Over that Time I want to take the best parts from other Jaguar trims and make my own ultimate XJ8. I am working with my grandfather who is a craftsman to create a veneered rear refrigerator console and help integrate the BMW cup holder in the front. I want to show others that the jaguar spirit is still alive and well and Younger generations like me appreciate the class and craftsmanship that goes into these wonderful British beasts. And of course every time I park it I always look back and admire it. I absolutely love it's lines.
It's kind of a mishmash story but I wanted to share how much I love my jag and I want to hear why you guys picked an X308 over other Gens.
Will post pics soon,

Old 05-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Oscartblossom
Hi guys, I just wanted to share my story on how I got my 308 and what I did to it and what I plan to do.

First off I am 17 so this is my first car. I had planned on getting a p38 Range Rover but the opportunity came up that my dad's co worker was selling his 2003 XJ8.

I hadn't seen the car until I bought it and really hoped it was the x350 not knowing much about jags. I test drove it and loved it. It is black with a cashmere interior Standard XJ8. I got excited and overpaid for it but it was in pristine condition especially for 118,00 miles.

Immediately the exhaust fell off and had me worried about my choice. But 1 year and 4,000 miles later I have my license and a Jag that I absolutely love and am happy that I didn't en up in a X350.

So far I added a wood roof console, umbrella straps, green center caps and badges and trunk button, a mix of a VDP and XJR grill (VDP surround with mesh inserts), Tray Tables, first aid kit, and 97 XJR wheels.

Currently I am putting in front cup holders from a BMW 7 series and will put on the lower front chrome air intake piece. It needs some dents taken out and the paint work should be mopped.

I love the way it drives its soft suspension and even in a nice area in NJ I get looks and comments all of the time.

I like keeping the parts stock and a classy look and feel unlike many kids my age who garnish their cars with huge alloys and slam the suspension.

I plan to work on hitting at least half a million miles just to disprove those who don't trust Jaguar's durability. Over that Time I want to take the best parts from other Jaguar trims and make my own ultimate XJ8.

I am working with my grandfather who is a craftsman to create a veneered rear refrigerator console and help integrate the BMW cup holder in the front.

I want to show others that the jaguar spirit is still alive and well and Younger generations like me appreciate the class and craftsmanship that goes into these wonderful British beast.

And of course every time I park it I always look back and admire it. I absolutely love it's lines.

It's kind of a mishmash story but I wanted to share how much I love my jag and I want to hear why you guys picked an X308 over other Gens.

Will post pics soon
Fixed. One huge block of text will cause most of us to pass on your post as unreadable. You will get more reads and responses with a few paragraphs thrown in there.
Vector

Old 05-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Nice story (especially the "edited" version) :0.

We all have our personal reasons to hang on to these aging ladies, but it is certainly encouraging to see that the black magic they possess even works on the younger generation ...

And photo's are a must, specially on your ideas of the cupholders and the fridge.

E.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 AM

When I first got it

Now

Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

Nice. I see you got a VDP fluted grille. Good to see someone is carrying on the tradition.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:56 PM

I like the overall effect because the mesh inserts and wheels have a sporty vibe but the VDP surround adds class. I think its what the Super V8 grill should have looked like.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

I really like the XJR rims on your car.
When considering new rims for my car, I seriously considered those, before I finally bought XKR rims.
I think they do great on the X300/308 design.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:51 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, what a story! I'm also 17 and my first car is an XJ8 as well. I love my XJ8, and plan on doing some modifications in the future such as a VDP grille or XJR grille, and the VDP picnic tables for the back seats. Maybe just one of those modifications, ( trying to save for gas ) You have a beautiful Jag as well. I too want to keep my Jag going for half a million miles. Possibly more?

- Pilotman

Old 05-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 672 Posts

I was your age back in the early 80s. Back then used muscle cars were cheap and if a high schooler drove a 4-door car, it meant your parents got a new car and you got a hand-me-down. Only one guy among my group of friends back in the day had a 4-door Mercury and though it wasn't the coolest car, we went everywhere in it because we all hated folding ourselves up to fit in the back seats of our muscle cars and we couldn't afford the gas for everyone to drive separately. I wouldn't admit it publicly back then, but about the only 4-door car I liked was the XJ6 which had a lot to do with why I got an XJ8 later. Attitudes are different today as most cars, even pickup trucks have four doors and teenagers think its more important to be able to take their friends with them and socialize along the way than to look cool driving alone. Probably the only downside is that with a Jaguar XJ8, your friends will never volunteer to drive their Camry's and Accords, but rather you will always be the designated driver just like my buddy and his old Mercury.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi guys, I just wanted to share my story on how I got my 308 and what I did to it and what I plan to do. First off I am 17 so this is my first car. I had planned on getting a p38 Range Rover but the opportunity came up that my dad's co worker was selling his 2003 XJ8. I hadn't seen the car until I bought it and really hoped it was the x350 not knowing much about jags. I test drove it and loved it. It is black with a cashmere interior Standard XJ8. I got excited and overpaid for it but it was in pristine condition especially for 118,00 miles.Immediately the exhaust fell off and had me worried about my choice. But 1 year and 4,000 miles later I have my license and a Jag that I absolutely love and am happy that I didn't en up in a X350. So far I added a wood roof console, umbrella straps, green center caps and badges and trunk button, a mix of a VDP and XJR grill (VDP surround with mesh inserts), Tray Tables, first aid kit, and 97 XJR wheels. Currently I am putting in front cup holders from a BMW 7 series and will put on the lower front chrome air intake piece. It needs some dents taken out and the paint work should be mopped. I love the way it drives its soft suspension and even in a nice area in NJ I get looks and comments all of the time. I like keeping the parts stock and a classy look and feel unlike many kids my age who garnish their cars with huge alloys and slam the suspension. I plan to work on hitting at least half a million miles just to disprove those who don't trust Jaguar's durability. Over that Time I want to take the best parts from other Jaguar trims and make my own ultimate XJ8. I am working with my grandfather who is a craftsman to create a veneered rear refrigerator console and help integrate the BMW cup holder in the front. I want to show others that the jaguar spirit is still alive and well and Younger generations like me appreciate the class and craftsmanship that goes into these wonderful British beasts. And of course every time I park it I always look back and admire it. I absolutely love it's lines.
Will post pics soon,

Your story is similar to mine 11 years ago. I got my VDP when I was 17 and my car was only 4 years old at the time. I upgraded the look in a classy way through the years and 10 years later, it still compliments all the time and I still turn around and look at the car after I park it.

My car originally looked like an old person's car. Simple upgrades go a long way. I've also added a lower mesh grill and rear XJR sized exhaust tips since I took these pictures.

Backseat

Quebec

Backseat

Outside on a sunny day

My car before I added the new rims and fixed the dent. Huge difference!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

In both cases, I actually like the original better. To the OP, the car you bought had a simplicity, cleanliness, and quiet charm that is lacking in the other models, especially the XJR. Instead of a lovely base X308, I sort of see now a muttled hybrid. Most non-Jag fans won't notice, of course, and at the end of the day you should enjoy your car as you see fit. I just wanted to add a quick note for the factory purists out there who like to see Jags exactly as they came off the line.

Last edited by rach2jlc; 05-16-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Also, how did you go about removing the grille? Is it simple or something that requires alot of time and knowledge? Thanks! - Pilotman

Old 05-17-2015, 08:17 AM

Thanks guys for all of the feedback and stories I am happy that others share the passion too. It is easy to remove the grill there are four torx bolts on each corner that need to be removed and then it just pulls right off.

Last edited by Oscartblossom; 05-18-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
In both cases, I actually like the original better. To the OP, the car you bought had a simplicity, cleanliness, and quiet charm that is lacking in the other models, especially the XJR. Instead of a lovely base X308, I sort of see now a muttled hybrid. Most non-Jag fans won't notice, of course, and at the end of the day you should enjoy your car as you see fit. I just wanted to add a quick note for the factory purists out there who like to see Jags exactly as they came off the line.
Its nothing compared to the mutilation my generation put muscle cars through, hacking the interior panels and dashes for stereo equipment, removing the original valve covers and air cleaners for cheap bits of chrome out of the JC Whitney catalog and simply removing any comfort/convenience part that quit working like the A/C system (thinking it improved power to weight ratio). Fast forward 30 years and we get on ebay and bid tens of thousands of dollars per car for the parts to put them back to original and tens of thousands more for labor in many cases. Back then, we were just kids and didn't know any better. A simple guideline is don't cut or drill holes and carefully store every original part you remove.

The following users liked this post:
rach2jlc (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 09:53 AM

Thanks guys for all of the feedback and stories I am happy that others share the passion too
Yes, that passion is they key; this is just your first (hopefully of many!) Jags. I'm admittedly envious that you got your first one at 17; back when I was that age were the dark days of Jaguar when you could buy them on a part-time salary but required a neurosurgeon's pay to keep them running. You are lucky these days to be able to get a reliable, daily driver for a good price that is still a whole lot more fun than a Suzuki or Honda.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:12 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase.

When I worked at Jaguar Whitley as a product development engineer involved in the AJV8 powertrain. I would undertake calculations for the intake port flows, work out ideal runner lengths, I was at Bridgend during the switch overs from AJ26, to AJ26.5 to AJ27 and later AJ33.

I never once imagined that someone with the passion I had for my first car (a 1970s style BMW) would lavish their attention on these cars.

It feels good.

In the UK of course due to the draconian and restrictive insurance laws someone your age can no longer afford to own a car with an engine bigger than an 800 cc.

Regarding the modifications- they may not be to others tastes, but I commend the efforts and passion and expression of individuality. You should have seen the things I did to my BMW 323i in the early nineties that make me cringe but it grew and evolved with me.

With my X308 XJR I am changing it subtley and in the areas where I would have done so- if it were solely my decision- when I worked there. I am also tailoring it to my own needs rather than for a target market decided upon by marketing

The following users liked this post:
rach2jlc (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
With my X308 XJR I am changing it subtley and in the areas where I would have done so- if it were solely my decision- when I worked there. I am also tailoring it to my own needs rather than for a target market decided upon by marketing
Very interesting; thanks for this.

Out of curiosity, what changes have you made/did you think needed to be made? If you could also include any of your insights from the other X308 models, that would be great (or post a link to posts where you may have said so already).

I have basically the same car as the OP (2003 xj8), only mine has the Sovereign package. I love it "factory" pure, but would be curious to hear any inside stories you may have of your time there.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

This post I did a while ago outlines a lot of what I would do to an XJR model

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...project-52518/

In addition I'm retro fitting a much stronger differential from the previous gen XJR/XJ12 but fitting Dana 44 internals. I'm also fitting a Torsen LSD within.

For a non performance orientated application, I think the 14 HU standard differential is probably fine.

An LSD would be nice- even for a 290 Bhp stock version- but it depends on your driving style. I believe there is a quaife type and another Japanese type that Steve M knows about available for the stock diff- but neither of these are cheap.

I would probably go for the lower ramp height camshafts and have some exhaust manifolds that split the exhaust pulses favourably- as fitted to the X350 4.2 Naturally aspirated. That will give a useful boost in low speed torque. I don't know if you can fit the X350 ehaust manifolds directly- I seem to recall a thread on that somewhere.

The pressure loss across the intake zip tube and airbox on the 290 Bhp cars is high- it feeds into the rear of the engine- its about 70 mbar. We reduced this ALOT on the front entry 4.2 litre engines, but even the rear fed 4.2 AJ34s in the XKs were lowered to 50 mbars. I don't know of the interchangeability of the XK8 4.2 zip tubes with the XJ8s but this could be worth looking into. This is basically free power with no loss in refinement or fuel economy.

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

Good call on the Daimler wooden trays, I plan to do the same

Old 05-18-2015, 07:04 AM

thank you for that! I like the information and appreciate your technical knowledge and jaguar background. Where there any plans developed or other features that were going to be implemented in the X308 that never happened?

Last edited by Oscartblossom; 05-18-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:34 AM

Also, can the mercedes XJR transmission be fitted to the standard XJ8? If so what modifications would need to be in place?

Last edited by Oscartblossom; 05-18-2015 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: My X308 Story