XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

oil in air breather box!!! pvc or death row??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in air breather box!!! pvc or death row??

Hi guys..what a way to start my experience with the XJR...BEAUTIFUL CAR..GREAT RIDE AND ALL THAT..BUT FOUND A HEALTHY DOSE OF OIL..ONE OR TWO OUNCES AT LEAST IN MY AIR FILTER/BOX UPON INSPECTION AT HOME.....am not a mechanic....but my research says it is either a bad PVC valve or the rings are worn allowing an excessive amount of blow by from the crancase....

anyone can confirm that this is not a suprise on these motors....?? I have the supercharged XJR..was really hoping for better....

I believe all I can do is order a new pvc valve or can a regular competent mechanic tell whether my existing PVC valve is bad? (stuck closed)

I hope it is just the PVC valve but reading on these pre-2002 XJ engines and seeing the car does not burn rubber (with traction control off) tells me I have an engine on death row....the car also struggles to pull past 135 mph as is...my seat of the pants gauge tells me a healthy 370 hp engine should still pull with some authority at 135 mph....my 92 twin turbo Dodge stealth was quicker qith less hp...but speculating on this...the oil in air box is a bigger issue...

Thanks for any info on this....greatly appreciated...I have contacted the seller....he seems suprised....be a miracle if I end up with any of my money back...not too happy about any of this...

depressing....what a way to start..

Thanks in advance....

Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Default RE: oil in air breather box!!! pvc or death row??

I should add the car ia a 1999 XJR with 76,500 ..too low a milage to have a problem I figured...God I will be glad if it ends up being a bad PVC....don't know...I guess venting here helps.....again thanks for any info or experiences shared on bad PVC valves you might have had....or any info that helps...

take care....

Old 07-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.......but this car doesn't have a PCV valve The crankcase vents via the full load breather directly into the air intake - just a hollow tube. One thing it could be instead of lost compression, etc., .... is a crack in the part load breather tube. That's the smaller plastic tube on the other side of the crank..start the car, pull off the part load breather tube while it's running (be careful not to break the plastic quick release ending) - and check for good vacuum. If the vacuum is weak or nil, this may explain the oil.

Good luck man. My 98 XJR has been a nightmare - lost compression aside, the tensioners cracked and ruined the engine. You may want to have your tensioners checked by a pro. Replacing them is expensive, but necessary if you want to enjoy this car for a while. At least have them looked at. Most don't kaputz until over 100K (mine did at 130K).

Old 07-07-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks for reply....my local mechanic was not able to locate PCV valve..only two hoses in valve cover to check out if it had one...we concluded there "is no pcv valve " and none was found in exploded views of XJR engine my tech has thewhole carin CD type DISK for the Jag.

more so.... my mechanic took the oil cap cover off to see how much blow by pressure was coming out..and he noted "not good" too much blow by pressure was determined while car was reunning thru oil cap removed....not good...that would explain the oil in the breather box...as for the smaller vacume hose mentioned....just don't know...maybe that is the problem but I doubt it ...tensioner issue alone makes me nervous now...

at this moment..just will ask seller for my money back and see how that goes....
'
wish I had better news..the car is indeed beautiful...just the engine issues....

Old 07-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The orifice in the part load breather (top front of left-hand valve cover) may simply be plugged - use a 3/32 drill bit, twist it with your fingers as you advance it about one inch - back and forth a few times. This well may solve your problem, in about 5 minutes.
Best of luck - don't give up on the car imagining a "worst-case scenario" based only on suspicion!

________

1999 XJR

Last edited by joycesjag; 11-25-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:42 PM

Thanks for response..will see what I can find in left side hose..the smaller one....

http://www.jag-lovers.org/cjw/nikasil.jpg see paragraph : "how can the problem be confirmed?"

Quote: "the amount of oil in the inlet tract will be a reasonably reliable indicator ofm weather there is a problem"

I hate to spread panic for no reason ; not what I am trying to do......just that "the truth about theses engines" article pin pont oil in the inlet tract as the sign of an engine experiencing a problem......and relying on my mechanic to recognise "too much blow pressure" coming out of hole where you pour oil....I really am no expert..obviosly..but...and re-ask my mechanic how sure is he as well...(has anyone ever reported finding this left hand side hose plugged?)

will check (pray) and see... thanks!!!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM

well..took the left side smaller hose off to check......vacum is strong....even whistles...and enging stumbles a bit erraticly when removed to free air while running engine.....engine goes back to normal idle when vacume hose back on...so vacume is good and working I have to conclude....

short of a compression or leak down I muct conclude the car is on it's way to bigger trouble....car was from south of USA...Kentucky and Florida.....where gas is known to be heavier loaded with sulpfer.....

not looking good....seller is finding a few things out...he has not said he would not refund...if no fix..then yes I want mey money back..only drove the car few hours total..mostly highway..about 200 miles...

will see....any other info is appreciated guys......

Thanks....

Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 PM

As markus suggested, leave the engine off, take off the part load breather tube, and cram a small drill bit or nail through the orifice on the crankcase. Worth a shot.

keep us posted on if you get your cash back.... I hope it's not a case for Wapner

Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Ok Jesus last miracle was to find crud in there...as I did..did not have a 3/32 drill bit to start and used a smaller one and did find some obstruction and some crud came out,...then went to walmart and bought a 3/32 ..but it was pretty much clear by then...

went for a cruise to warm up and stopped for gas under good lighting and while running took off oil cap to see if any difference from before...and yes..I don't see much visible signs of blow by now....

this crud clearing might explain why the oil is dirty looking as given to me even after a recent oil change as well as how oil got into the oil breather... only thing is that I retrieved (yesterday) a fair amount of oil..maybe more like 3 ounces ;a piece of my air filter , say an inch across or more was soaked ..and some more was smeered in inlet down stream as well....but who knows how long this plugged vacum piece on motor I cleaned crud out of was like that...??

Anyways....everything is looking better I would say...engine pulls good once going ....just no tire burning off dry pavment at start..?? and seems to struggle at pulling 135 mph..anyone else has a healthy motor that exhibits some dispointment like this...? what is normal for 370 hp XJR is my question...

hard for me to say ; I have never driven another supercharged XJR to better know what is normal on these...

I suppose I can get a new filter and see if any new oil deposits form .....I want to find out real soon in case I need to deal with seller.....and of course a leakdown and compression test would also be a true way to know....

well ...I feel like I progressed to a fighting chance to want to keep this car..will see if my local mechanic concurs there is a lot less blow by now...

I feel better....I notified the seller it might be ok..will see now...trying to get along best I can with seller on this.......

I owe you guys....I hope my recent purchase is alright....even if the closest Jaguar dealer is 300 miles away...LOL

btw...no rattles upon start up....that tells me the tensioner is not on the edge of blowing up..the car runs very quiet at start up and all rpms...I like that....

thanks guys..keep the info coming..I am here to learn......newbie signing off..good night...!![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

"Anyways....everything is looking better I would say...engine pulls good once going ....just no tire burning off dry pavment at start..?? and seems to struggle at pulling 135 mph..anyone else has a healthy motor that exhibits some dispointment like this...? what is normal for 370 hp XJR is my question..."

My 1999 XJR at 108K miles still pulls as smoothly as when I bought it new, with no discernible decrease in the rate of acceleration from standstill to 150mph, which is where the computer calls a halt to the proceedings. If you are anxious to invest in new tires, turn off the traction control and try a full-throttle standing start - should smoke the tires. As long as the traction control is enabled, you'll barely get a squeak from a standing start...

________

1999 XJR

Last edited by joycesjag; 11-25-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Thanks Marcus..am very aware of traction control....turns out the rear muffler has been crapping out angel hair out of it's inlet side of the muffler..been pulling it out (twicw) after a hard run.....have not had the car very long.....anyways...the muffler is very obstructed internally at the moment..this would cause a decrease in acceleration..and hopefully did not harm motor...the exhaust pressure at tailpipe felt from right side to left is a world of difference...big obstruction...!!! hopefully this accounts for loss of power off thge line and loss of top end.....

question I have?? is it ok or advisable to just go to a local muffler shop and replace with one of their shelf item mufflers??..something with little restriction as possible I woul;d think would be fine.......??

I would like to remedy as soon as possible...anya dvise..should I wait for a ordered muffler instead..which one..oem..flowmaster..or what you guys think?

Thanks...

Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like...you might have...figured it out...congratulations...are in order

Reading your posts...gets me tired...too many gaps...between your fractured sentences...

Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 AM

glad to hear things are going better .. just a tip.. I was in the mind set of waiting until I heard rattle at startup before dealing with my tensioners. I NEVER had a rattle at startup..the tensioners cracked and ruined my motor. You might be OK for a while, with less than 80K, but I would start saving for the job anyways. Enjoy your new ride!!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks shanoski and chasman..I appreciate the feedback....and info given...

and am especially grateful to Marcus...I still have a few "will see" on this car..but it is looking much brighter....

will have glass packs resonators which muffle a bit but straight thru exhausts...put on for rear mufflers..might strike a conservative Jag owner as barbaric lol.. but ..will haver both sides done for about $80.00....should sound decent I hope...with other factory mufflers in place should be ok...

will have entire ehaust system inspected to be sure I do not need any more muffler repairs....

monday will have the compression test done...my mechanic 's leakdown only consists of puting some oil down the cylinders and checking for the cylinders maintaining the oil I think..he claims will tell enough that way...anyone think different...?

I only bring it up cause I read in an old post that the leakdown is very important besides the compression test....let me know if any thoughts...

Thanks a million guys....!!!