XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Parking Brake Cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Cable

Hi Jag community,

Changing rear wheel bearings on 00 x308. The parking brake cable is not coming off. I followed the manual closely but I can't get the cable through the hub. I search the forum but found nothing pertaining to my situation. I have to take the hub and carrier off to take to shop to press.

I found someone on youtube but he doesn't explain how to get the clip off.

Attached are photos. of my situation. the hub is upside down.

It's my first jag and first job.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:45 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi Brooklyn. Inside a recess at the base of the hub, you will see a small white plastic clip holding the cable to the back-plate, it simply slips off and the cable is released. I know it's frustrating, took me ages to find it!
Paul

The following 3 users liked this post by euphonium01:
Brooklyn (08-25-2018), chris-jag (09-20-2019), Samilcar (08-29-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 08:20 PM

Thank you euphonium. I was able to take it out with your advice.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I just want to add this here, since I hadn't been able to find much luck on the searches I did, so putting this here for future assistance:

To remove the parking brake cable, there are a few steps. One, is the mentioned clip. I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for until I finally found it, so here's a little help. From the underside of your carrier assembly, looking upwards, it's a white clip about an inch or so in length, and about a half inch round, with a little tab on it. You can simply grab it with pliers and pull it off, it just snaps on and off. There's a groove in it to line up the cable flange with the housing. Here's a picture of an assembly, showing it.

XJ8 Parking Brake Retention Clip

There is a small pin holding the end of the cable to the bottom bracket of the parking brake assembly that has to be removed. I found it easiest to remove the spring, spread the pads out just enough to allow you to maneuver the cable end into position to pull the pin out. And the last step, is that on the backside of your carrier assembly, is a large rubber grommet. This holds the cable in place, but it also will prevent you from being able to remove the cable from the back of the unit due to the flange on the end. You do have to pry this grommet out in order to remove and install the cable.

Just wanted to leave this information for anyone searching for parking brake removal help, as I don't have access to diagrams myself, and if anyone else is in the same boat, it might help.

Last edited by CharlzO; 11-18-2018 at 03:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CharlzO:
chris-jag (09-20-2019), ericjansen (11-19-2018), Imanonamas (01-05-2019)
Old 12-29-2018, 03:59 AM
Default Parking Brake Cable replacement

Hi Charizo,

Thank you for the very useful tip about replacing the parking brake cable! I noticed in your picture that the plastic clip is somewhat centred. When I removed mine, they were kind of propped up against the inside aperture, with the tapered end appearing to almost enter the hole.

I also noticed that the 'tube' (for want of a better word) leading the connecting end out to the brakes, has a flange too. I could actually place the clip in both positions; over the cable flange and both cable and tube flanges. Taking into consideration how I found it, I went for the former, though. It seemed to be more sheltered that way.

Do you know which way it should be?

Kind regards,
Bard Thomas

Old 12-29-2018, 08:28 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks, I've struggled with that.

Rob

Old 12-29-2018, 09:48 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

When I did mine, the clip seemed to be over both the cable and tube flange. I assume it's that way to keep them "locked" together, so that the cable shield cannot pull back and separate for any reason. I can only speculate, perhaps it's to ensure a seal so that dirt and grime can't find their way in the crack, or whatnot. In actuality though, I don't expect it would really make too much a difference, and the big grommet on the back holds the cable in place pretty snug on it's own anyway. I'm replacing the other side here in the next week or two, so I'll have another peek at that side and see what it looks like on that side, and the replacement assembly (used assembly, so they just cut the cable on the backside and I can look to see what the clip looks like on that one too)