XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Progress on the restoration.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Progress on the restoration.

'03 XJ8 has been sitting for years. It was last driven over a year ago, but only for a few days. There is a load of work to get it safely back on the road. I'll update as i get it rolling.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Good luck! Glad to hear of another rescue. I just got mine on the road over the weekend, after the PO parked it nearly 7 years ago with a broken secondary chain.
Lots of work ahead of you assuming you're doing chains and tensioners, but it will all be worth it the first time you drive it. These are fantastic cars.....
Steve

The following users liked this post:
jjyergler (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Godspeed !

Old 10-09-2018, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Sorry! Had to post that I’d be curious to see what this car looks like before you start work on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
A.J.P (10-09-2018), jjyergler (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Default Step 1

Not too bad from this angle.

You don't get the full effect since you can't smell the rodent pee. This is after I got most of the grass and leaves out.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:01 PM

Today I charged the battery and got her started. She runs very well, smooth and quiet. I changed the oil and filter. I'll run it for a couple hundred miles and change it again, hoping to get any sludge out. The brakes work, so I'm going to put some coolant in and see if she overheats on my drive to work in the morning. It's about 8 miles and I'll never have to go over 40.

Next step is to clean the sunroof drains tomorrow and see how she rolls on the road.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Default Clear coat is heavily oxidized.

IveI got to buy a buffer and get to work.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Kudos to progress !

jjyergler (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:07 PM

I'll update tomorrow after the drive.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Watch your temps on a OBD2 reader, as the one is the cluster is useless.
If it was me, I should replace the thermostat before anything else, they do get stuck over time, and they are too cheap to gamble with.
An XJ8 engine you don't want to overheat, not once!
Nice project!

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Don B (06-23-2019), jjyergler (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Going forward I doubt you will encounter an issue that isn't addressed here on the forum. It's a vast resource that has kept me in the X308 game after 2 previous attempts lol. Really wish more folks would make the effort to restore &/or maintain these beauties, so refreshing to see one in the mass of cookie cutter clones out there.

jjyergler (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stu 1986

Sorry! Had to post that I’d be curious to see what this car looks like before you start work on it.
You're correct. I've been meaning to post some, just haven't had the time to get them. Here you go.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Watch your temps on a OBD2 reader, as the one is the cluster is useless.
If it was me, I should replace the thermostat before anything else, they do get stuck over time, and they are too cheap to gamble with.
An XJ8 engine you don't want to overheat, not once!
Nice project!
Thanks for the info. Do you have a suggestion for one that works well and is under $100 (preferably under $50)?

Is there anything to look for to see if it has been overheated?

Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jjyergler
Thanks for the info. Do you have a suggestion for one that works well and is under $100 (preferably under $50)?

Is there anything to look for to see if it has been overheated?
I run the one linked below w/ Torque Pro app, zero issues going on 3 years thus far.

Amazon Amazon

jjyergler (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=King Charles;1984737]I run the one linked below w/ Torque Pro app, zero issues going on 3 years thus far.

Amazon Amazon
[/QUOTE

Ordered

Old 11-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Default First trip successful.

We'll, she didn't overheat. Stopped halfway to put some fresh gas in, fill the tires, and top off the coolant tank. Made it to work and she's not on fire, so far so good.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 PM

It's been a while, but I'm finally back to work on the car. I have several questions for the hive mind here. I'm sure these questions have been answered, but I can't find them.

First things first, I need a new battery. I know Jags are very sensitive to fluctuations, so are there any battery brands that are reasonably priced and seem to work well? Right now, I'm thinking Interstate, but I wonder are there any brands that have a particularly good reputation for use in Jags?

Second, are there any online parts sources that you can recommend? I looked on SNG Barratt, but oddly, they have the '03 XJ8 listed as an X350, which confuses/concerns me. Is there a site that you guys have found to be particularly helpful or reliable? I've got front upper strut mounts on order from Rock Auto, so hopefully they're good. The most important thing I need is a site that might have a picture or chart that labels the different bleed hoses/and coolant hoses from the expansion tank.

Those two are my most immediate issues, and any answers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

I looked on SNG Barratt, but oddly, they have the '03 XJ8 listed as an X350, which confuses/concerns me. Is there a site that you guys have found to be particularly helpful or reliable? I've got front upper strut mounts on order from Rock Auto, so hopefully they're good. The most important thing I need is a site that might have a picture or chart that labels the different bleed hoses/and coolant hoses from the expansion tank.

Those two are my most immediate issues, and any answers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
The last year, the '03 ran over into the intro of the emergence of the 350 it's indeed odd how they did that. Just use SNG's X308 section even though it only goes 98-2002 you're covered.

Hard to find parts my goto's are :

https://www.galaxyusedautoparts.com/...nden-plas.html

EverydayXJ's Store

Last edited by King Charles; 01-25-2019 at 10:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by King Charles:
davidboger (07-02-2019), Don B (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:37 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

First things first, I need a new battery. I know Jags are very sensitive to fluctuations, so are there any battery brands that are reasonably priced and seem to work well? Right now, I'm thinking Interstate, but I wonder are there any brands that have a particularly good reputation for use in Jags?

Second, are there any online parts sources that you can recommend? I looked on SNG Barratt, but oddly, they have the '03 XJ8 listed as an X350, which confuses/concerns me. Is there a site that you guys have found to be particularly helpful or reliable? I've got front upper strut mounts on order from Rock Auto, so hopefully they're good. The most important thing I need is a site that might have a picture or chart that labels the different bleed hoses/and coolant hoses from the expansion tank.

Hi jjyergler,

For batteries, Interstates are typically very good (made by Johnson Controls or Exide, who, along with East Penn make virtually all of the automotive batteries sold in the U.S.). The best deal I know of on a battery is the Exide NASCAR Extreme or Global Extreme (same battery, different name) available at Home Depot. Our member Box discovered these while researching batteries for the X350. I've installed them in several Jags and other vehicles and they seem to perform very well, and the price is quite reasonable. I think the sizes that fit most Jags run $109.00 to $119.00 at our local HD. You just have to install it yourself, and one of them I purchased was low on charge from the store but was fine after being recharged.

Rock Auto can't be beat on many parts, but our forum sponsors SNG Barratt, Coventry West, Welsh Enterprises and Jagbits are all Jag experts and can be very helpful and know the best aftermarket parts available for parts no longer available from Jaguar. They may also offer discounts to Jaguar Forums members, so ask. I've also had good service and pricing from FCP Euro and Parts Geek, and for Jaguar-dealer-only parts, if everydayxj.com or growlerparts.com doesn't have it, jaguarmerriamparts.com is a Jaguar dealer who offers online sales at discounted prices and they'll have it unless its No-Longer Available (NLA).

The reason SNG Barratt lists an '03 as an X350 is that in the U.K. the X350 was introduced as a 2003 model, just as the X308 was first introduced there as a 1997 model.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-03-2019 at 07:32 PM.
jjyergler (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:52 PM

Thanks, Don.

I saw the Exide batteries at HD today, and I wondered if they were any good. I had been looking at the Napa batteries, but the Exide at HD is $35 cheaper. I'll pick one up tomorrow afternoon.

I ordered some bushings and the front shock mounts from Rock Auto. Since Barratt is a forum sponsor, I'll start using them as my go to.

Thanks again for the info. I've got a lot to do to get this ole cat back on the road; every tip helps.

Quick Reply: Progress on the restoration.