XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Quick question about S/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Quick question about S/C

quick question about the 4.0 SC intercoolers how does coolant flow....

question being...
A and c = cooler coolant? while B and D are the warm coolant exiting?
or
B and D cooler coolant and vise versa.....

*are my hoses incorrect?? i noticed another members s/c his hoses were connected differently???....on mine A and C are connected to one hose and B and D are connected from another hose. (Two hoses that split near the radiator hoses.) its been connected like this since ive bought the car....

but i am happy to state that i am back on the road! shes finally fixed....this question is for heat wrapping the correct pipes...aka i want to wrap the cooler pipes with foil tape so they stay slightly cooler on travel.
wondering if i wrapped the wrong ones....(you will see in the video)

heres a quick little video of the first fire up after sitting for 3ish months!

Going to change the S/C fluid next

Last edited by Gopi Hira; 06-10-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I wrapped the lines going under the SC as for which is which, we need a more frontal pic to see the lines, see below.....and what is that noise, it sounds like a lack of lubrication on something? Did you replace the bearings and/or the pulleys?

This is mine just after reassembly back in Feb.

Last edited by Highhorse; 06-10-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I wrapped the lines going under the SC as for which is which, we need a more frontal pic to see the lines, see below.....and what is that noise, it sounds like a lack of lubrication on something? Did you replace the bearings and/or the pulleys?

This is mine just after reassembly back in Feb
hey Highhorse; sorry for the late response bro but you were right the noise was because i did not change the SC fluid ...i ended up changing it anyways...bought GM fluid from a local GM dealership only 14 dollars. the old oil was pitch black and really smelled terrible. i doubt it had ever been changed. the new oil was clear and transparent like baby oil. no more noise since that!

New item that came up...car runs perfect does not over heat or anything only one thing tho....i think the place i bought my thermostat from gave me a 195F not a 180. reason being the car runs between 203-208/10 F now but its 100+ outside currently in California. i dont drive her when its to hot out. but been testing to make sure that everything okay. before the car would run 192-200 max. i am using cheap coolant (oriellys OAT universal). i am going to switch to Preston dexcol that meets WSS-M97B44-D (ford and orange) which i believe is the correct coolant for our cars by the sticker. and manual.

where can i get a 180 f thermostat? so the temps return to 192 and avoid fans running all the time; because my fans start at 208 i believe. anyone have a good thermostat to recommend?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:00 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Gopi Hira
hey Highhorse; sorry for the late response bro but you were right the noise was because i did not change the SC fluid ...i ended up changing it anyways...bought GM fluid from a local GM dealership only 14 dollars. the old oil was pitch black and really smelled terrible. i doubt it had ever been changed. the new oil was clear and transparent like baby oil. no more noise since that!

New item that came up...car runs perfect does not over heat or anything only one thing tho....i think the place i bought my thermostat from gave me a 195F not a 180. reason being the car runs between 203-208/10 F now but its 100+ outside currently in California. i dont drive her when its to hot out. but been testing to make sure that everything okay. before the car would run 192-200 max. i am using cheap coolant (oriellys OAT universal). i am going to switch to Preston dexcol that meets WSS-M97B44-D (ford and orange) which i believe is the correct coolant for our cars by the sticker. and manual.

where can i get a 180 f thermostat? so the temps return to 192 and avoid fans running all the time; because my fans start at 208 i believe. anyone have a good thermostat to recommend?
Factory T-stat is certainly not a 180*.
Furthermore the T-stat has NOTHING to do with what you describe
A T-stat ONLY control the minimum temperature which with a rating of 195* would be 195*
What control the maximum engine temperature is the cooling system capacity in BTU ( British Thermal Unit)
It is true that with a lower rated T-stat, the engine will take a little more time to reach it's highest temperature but, once the T-stat is open it can't obviously have any impact on the max temperature

Old 06-24-2016, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by luc
Factory T-stat is certainly not a 180*.
Furthermore the T-stat has NOTHING to do with what you describe
A T-stat ONLY control the minimum temperature which with a rating of 195* would be 195*
What control the maximum engine temperature is the cooling system capacity in BTU ( British Thermal Unit)
It is true that with a lower rated T-stat, the engine will take a little more time to reach it's highest temperature but, once the T-stat is open it can't obviously have any impact on the max temperature
i dont know 100% about thermostats but i assumed that at the temperature they are rated for it will open up and allow the coolant to flow through the radiator to cool the coolant down causing lower temperatures. i am pretty sure i have a 195 in there right now. so if i understand this right...it will open at 195 allowing coolant flow. add a little inefficiency should be running the temps i am getting. . . if its not the thermostat it must be the cheap coolant i am using as a testing ground. or that its 102-105 ambient air temp recently.

what is the factory thermostat temp rating ??

Old 06-24-2016, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The PCM aims to run the car hot and uses the engine fan(s) to do it. Check JTIS for the range it aims for but 195 sounds OK to me for the stat.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

You probably have a 185 stat. I have seen a 10 deg difference in operating temp in stats with the the same part #. The one I'm using now runs 197-203 with spikes to 207 in traffic.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gopi Hira
quick question about the 4.0 SC intercoolers how does coolant flow....

question being...
A and c = cooler coolant? while B and D are the warm coolant exiting?
or
B and D cooler coolant and vise versa.....

*are my hoses incorrect?? i noticed another members s/c his hoses were connected differently???....on mine A and C are connected to one hose and B and D are connected from another hose. (Two hoses that split near the radiator hoses.) its been connected like this since ive bought the car....

but i am happy to state that i am back on the road! shes finally fixed....this question is for heat wrapping the correct pipes...aka i want to wrap the cooler pipes with foil tape so they stay slightly cooler on travel.
wondering if i wrapped the wrong ones....(you will see in the video)

Going to change the S/C fluid next
Perhaps this will explain the cooling routes a little clearer ;o)

The following users liked this post:
Geofflvmyjag (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

HEY!,....I have copyrights on that pic...j/k...nice layout xjay8.

Originally Posted by xjay8
Perhaps this will explain the cooling routes a little clearer ;o)

Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
HEY!,....I have copyrights on that pic...j/k...nice layout xjay8.
My bad....I should have acknowledged that it was your pix ;o))
My humblest apologies ;o]