XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Are shock mounts the same as shock bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Are shock mounts the same as shock bushings?

My mechanic first said I needed new shock bushings. Then, days later, said MOUNTS, which is more $$$. The shocks themselves are brand new. When they were installed, new bushings were not installed with them. The car's steering wheel pulls to one side or the other over bumps. Is this a bushing issue (which IS covered by my warranty) or a MOUNT issue (which is not)? Also, is the bushing job easier/less time consuming than the mount job? Thank you!

Mechanic quotes:

Front Shock Mounts 821.34
Tax 63.65
Labor 285.00
Total 1169.99

OUCH!

Last edited by SirJag; 12-06-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The shock mounts are at the top of the shocks, the bushings at the bottom ends.

" . . . one side or the other . . . ." does indeed sound like a suspension problem subject to an inspection by a qualified technician. The shock is going to be out for a mount replacement so I would certainly have both ends done diagnosed or not.

The following users liked this post:
SirJag (12-07-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Something to be said for oem shocks...

The mounts are expensive, so the better option is to buy the upper mount bushing kit, they're pressed out and in. Jaguar only supply the mounts, hence the price. The kits can be found on the sponsors sites. Maybe get the rolebar bushes and track rods done while there.

An alignment to finish off, maybe a partial flush on the rack, and wheel balance. It should be transformed.

SirJag (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Something to be said for oem shocks...

The mounts are expensive, so the better option is to buy the upper mount bushing kit, they're pressed out and in. Jaguar only supply the mounts, hence the price. The kits can be found on the sponsors sites. Maybe get the rolebar bushes and track rods done while there.

An alignment to finish off, maybe a partial flush on the rack, and wheel balance. It should be transformed.
Hey Sean,

So basically I need 2 bushings for each of the 2 front shocks, correct? Is the upper and lower bushing the same? I found them sold separately:

Amazon Part Finder: Slide Show Results

They look different although the description doesn't describe the difference.

Do I really need to spend $140 as I see on some sites like this:

Jaguar UPPER FRONT SHOCK MOUNT BUSHING KIT, DOES BOTH SIDES - MNC2168-69KIT

... which include washers and nuts. Must they be replaced, too?

Thanks so much!

SirJag

Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I found this from another forum member on ebay. These are the front top shock mount bushings. The lower bushings are different.
Jaguar XJ8 Front Shock Replacement Bushings (4) | eBay
It includes 2 bushes for each side, 4 total.
Here is a link for the lower shock bushings, they are pretty inexpensive. However if you had the shocks replaced, they probably came with new bushings.
http://jaguar-parts.jagbits.com/search/index
Search for part number- MND2153AA

I would also check the ball joints. I just ordered and replaced my shock mount bushings to try to get rid of a bumping sound in the front and it turns out it is probably my ball joints. I tested them with the car off the ground with a pry bar under the tire and I reproduced the bumping sound, I am pretty sure it is coming from the ball joints. I am a bit disappointed though that the new ball joints I have found do not have grease fittings much like the originals. I am thinking about experimenting with adding a grease fitting and seeing if it helps to grease them up. The car only has 54K original miles, a little premature for ball joints to go. I just believe they have dried out from sitting the two years I had the car down for repairs. I will report back once I am able to add the fittings and grease them up.
Good luck to you.

SirJag (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by XJRJeff
I found this from another forum member on ebay. These are the front top shock mount bushings. The lower bushings are different.
Jaguar XJ8 Front Shock Replacement Bushings (4) | eBay
It includes 2 bushes for each side, 4 total.
Here is a link for the lower shock bushings, they are pretty inexpensive. However if you had the shocks replaced, they probably came with new bushings.
http://jaguar-parts.jagbits.com/search/index
Search for part number- MND2153AA

I would also check the ball joints. I just ordered and replaced my shock mount bushings to try to get rid of a bumping sound in the front and it turns out it is probably my ball joints. I tested them with the car off the ground with a pry bar under the tire and I reproduced the bumping sound, I am pretty sure it is coming from the ball joints. I am a bit disappointed though that the new ball joints I have found do not have grease fittings much like the originals. I am thinking about experimenting with adding a grease fitting and seeing if it helps to grease them up. The car only has 54K original miles, a little premature for ball joints to go. I just believe they have dried out from sitting the two years I had the car down for repairs. I will report back once I am able to add the fittings and grease them up.
Good luck to you.

Thanks so much for the info. Please let me know how it goes!

SirJag

Old 12-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Default New question about shock bushings...

Could someone please confirm that I simply need 4 of these:

http://www.amazon.com/OES-Genuine-Bu...ar=1&carId=001

... to replace my front shock bushings? (They're confirmed worn.)

I'm a bit thrown off because it says: "upper shock mounting stud"

Working on one side, say the right side, for example, I know one bushing goes on top of the shock mounting plate (it's clearly visible), but where does the other one go... on the under side of that same plate... or on the other end of the shock? I checked the JPEC and it doesn't show.

Thanks very much, guys!

SirJag

Old 12-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That does not look like the right item. I have an 01 vdp, I used a kit that contains four rubber washes (for lack of a better description). The shape appears different than what is shown in that picture. The kit I purchased cost about $ 80 or so, a bit expensive for what it is but it worked.

These are the right ones look at the difference in shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-XJ8-F...sories&vxp=mtr

Last edited by dneider; 12-15-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I believe the Amazon pictured ones look more like the stock bushings, although I have used the ones deneider referenced.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

My oe brushing were made out of an Orange foam rubber material, and were a different shape...maybe the mount design changed at some point. While your in there you may want to consider replacing the bump stop (it also is used to hold the protective shock boot in place.)

Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Default Do you need a press to remove the shock bushings (uppers)?

I have the mount off, but having a hard time separating the 2 bushings. Is a press needed... or are they threaded?

Thanks, all.

SirJag

Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

A press is the way - I understand the new bushes you can bang in with a hammer, did they come in black? I've seen the uprated version is a black neoprene type bush.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Does anyone have a pictoral of this "press on/press off" procedure? I'm interested in trying this myself, but would like to see how it's done first. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love some more info on the bushing installation procedure. I'm considering the kit but unsure if I have the right "press" to install it.