XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

son wrecked front end of x01 xj8....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default son wrecked front end of x01 xj8....

I now need to get a general idea of what to look for before deciding to repair or junk.

I need a general idea of removal of the front bumper, and alignment/replacement of the grill/bumper/bezels/...

The car is drivable, hood lightly scratched, works, binds slightly on closing, both front quarter panels untouched, no heat exchanger damage, left headlight loose, bumper bent down, but plastic cover intact with minimal damage.

I purchased the car as a first car for a 16 year old, thought he would be careful, but expected he would do well physically if he made a mistake.

Neither he or other driver injured, essentially a head on collision, other vehicle was a full sized gm suv--that appeared to me to be a total loss.

thanks
k

Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 PM

oh
no air bag deployment.
not wure of speed involved, but does not seem that is could have been that fast, occurred in intersection as he was making a left turn, as best I can determine.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Buying a 16 year old a Jag makes you parent of the year I been admiring Jags forever and driving for quite some many years and finally only bought one now...

Head on with an GM Fullsize SUV and the Jag drives and the SUV is totaled?! Holy moly, that should be an advertisement for Jaguar safety!

Post some pics for better assessment.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

With the bumper height mismatch and the collision being head on, I bet the crash was pretty slow, esp with no airbag deployment.

Btw. I got my Vanden Plas at 17 yrs old. She was 4 yrs old at the time tho.The V8 def requires maturity to handle properly. I admit it took me a while to mature enough to not speed all the time. I did some risky stuff when I was younger and thank God I never bumped into anything.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Jag totales GM SUV ? That's astonishing . I know Jags are built solid still it's lovely to hear your son is ok

Old 02-17-2011, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

to remove the bumper, there are two long bolts, they undo from their mounts roughly underneath the bumper blades, feel around underneath the bumper, and you'll locate them. Once they're out, you can pull the bumper towards you. It slides on side locator brackets. Simple really.

Grills and surround, remove the kidneys with a phillips screwdriver. Once they're out, you'll see the torx bolts holding the surround.

Headlight, the backing plate (plastic) will probably be cracked, I think you can order the thing on it's own, just pull out the lamps and swap it using the original lamps if ok.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 AM

Sean B
Thanks for your information.

As for purchasing for a young driver.
The cars were relatively inexpensive. The 01 was $4500 with no problems except needing new tires with 90k miles.
I expected the car to protect the driver in the event an accident could not be avoided.
Additionally, my hope was that they would not feel the need for speed, since the cars are nice enough to get attention sitting still.

Unfortunately the car could not help the driver determine the right time to turn at an intersection.....

Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmondon
Sean B
Thanks for your information.

As for purchasing for a young driver.
The cars were relatively inexpensive. The 01 was $4500 with no problems except needing new tires with 90k miles.
I expected the car to protect the driver in the event an accident could not be avoided.
Additionally, my hope was that they would not feel the need for speed, since the cars are nice enough to get attention sitting still.

Unfortunately the car could not help the driver determine the right time to turn at an intersection.....
It happens.... glad he was not hurt.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

kmondon: Excellent reasoning for buying the car for 16 year old. I too bought my 19 year old a 99 xj8 a couple years ago for about 6k. He's a car afficianoldo(sp?) and I figured it was better than an import drifting car(his other car of choice). Back to your problem at hand though. Advice given is dead on, should be pretty simple to remove. Replacements are on e-bay from time to time, but, you'll need to get it painted to match. Locate a copy of JTIS somewhere here in the forum, it will guide you through it, if need be. You should be able to see all you need to from underneath the car though. Glad your Son is ok.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

How's your son doing...is he mourning over his error? sometimes guilt and feeling of substantial loss (even temporarily) for something you adore (the car obviously) will make him a safer driver in the future. All you can hope is it is a lesson learned, without worse consequences than a damaged bumper, headlight and bonnet. Really surprised the fender didn't buckle if it was during a left hand turn and sorta-headon

Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

One suggestion, if you aren't already doing so - let him do all (or most) of the legwork re finding parts and repairs - it's amazing how working on the car makes appreciation of value heighten and is a great life's lesson.