XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Supercharger oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supercharger oil change.

My supercharger is sitting on 150k miles and the oil has never been changed. I remember reading somewhere that Eaton recommends changing out the oil every 100k.

I've never changed the oil on one though and have no idea where to begin. Can someone point me in the right direction or upload a picture of where exactly I access the oil reservoir?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

From all accounts the supercharger needs to be removed from the car to properly check and fill.

Jaguar does not recommend a change - others have mentioned that they have been told 100k or that a similar unit in other cars has a recommended change interval.

Personally -- I would not touch it. At 150k you got a good one -- I would leave it alone.

The following users liked this post:
kansanbrit (05-17-2021)
Old 04-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

The supercharger on the V8 is a filled for life internal lubrication system. Because of the confined installation, the oil level/filler plug is inaccessible and at the orientation for checking the oil level. Should the oil level need to be checked, the supercharger must be removed from the engine.

Synthetic Supercharger Oil: P/N JLM12290, Filler Plug and "O" Ring: P/N JLM12291

Personally, I agree with yeldogt; the only superchargers I have ever changed were due to physical damage.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 04-19-2011 at 10:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Mark SF (10-28-2014), wesmc2 (02-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

There was a huge long drawn out debate on this a couple of months ago that you can probably find using the search function.

GM Supercharger Oil is a suitable lubricant and can be obtained easily.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never owned a supercharged vehicle prior to this Jaguar and wasn't 100% sure what maint if any I'd need to do. The only information I was able to find stated 100k changes.

How do I know if something needs to be done or checked? I was more going to change it out of a precaution than anything else.

That's actually the oil I purchased. GM Part #12345982. It was only $9 a bottle so if I don't use it it's not a big loss.

I definitely don't want to remove the supercharger though.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member

There are a number of people who say that they have done it without removing the supercharger and gotten fragged for saying so.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default I found a forum thread on changing supercharger oil

Rickcusaf
Open this link to this Supercharger maintenance thread on the forum:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...tenance-39369/

plumsauce has many postings in the Supercharger maintenance thread. Way to go plumsauce.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-20-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

I believe the point of the forum is about information -- and the information regarding the supercharger is that it needs to be removed in order that it be properly filled.

Its a sealed system and the oil is not subjected to combustion gases.

Its like transmissions -- for whatever reason lots of people like to disregard the recommended procedure and fluid type.

You make the choice.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
I believe the point of the forum is about information -- and the information regarding the supercharger is that it needs to be removed in order that it be properly filled.

Its like transmissions -- for whatever reason lots of people like to disregard the recommended procedure and fluid type.

You make the choice.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah and removing the supercharger is a HUGE pain is the A$$. took me all of 10 hours. I'd leave it if i were you.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt

The same is true for a differential, yet it does not attract the same controversy. The supercharger only has 7 or so ounces on a dry fill, yet spins faster than either the engine or differential.

In recent years, MBUSA has gradually walked away from "sealed for life" on the W5A580 and is currently at 40K miles change intervals for the same transmission installed in their cars. As their installed base is larger and they are the manufacturer, maybe they just might know something.

As for fluids, there is a big difference between substituting fluid "brand" and fluid "type". If it meets or exceeds specifications, that is all that truly matters.

If substituting oil brands is acceptable, it ought to be just as acceptable to substitute atf brands.

Last edited by plums; 04-20-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Plumsause -- I'm not sure what you are getting at. Why is the volume of oil important -- One is a differential and the other a supercharger?

What we are talking about is a forum member asking about a component installed on the car.

And differentials do have controversy. Some people only use royal purple .. etc etc. The filling and maintenance of differentials is straightforward - it is hard to screw it up. Unfortunately, Jaguars do have leaking problems - and have more differential failures than most makes because of this.

The newer MB transmission is a 7 speed -- we can debate on the reasons what MB has different specifications ,,,,,,,,, And I have no problem with changing fluids.

But .........just because a fluid meets a minimum specification -- does not equate that it is the same fluid. Manufactures can and do design the same transmission to act differently depending on the fluid and the clutch control - they add modifiers to the fluid.

My XjR has the MB transmission -- My Mercedes wagon has the same transmission and my Porsche turbo tip has the same transmission -- I know the transmission!

But ........I don't know all that much about the supercharger. In all the years I have been gong to Jaguar events I have never had any maintenance discussions about them - they rarely fail. So I have a problem with recommending a service procedure that is different than the factory recommendation.

Its a sturdy -- well designed part -- that has no history of oil problems ......I say leave it alone.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with yeldogt. I would leave the SC alone unless it was off the engine. In regards to the "sealed for life" well nothing is...the transmission in the XJR is the 5G-Tronic (also called 722.6).

It is the highest torque rated unit that Mercedes produced for a long time. They used it on all the 4matics and the AMG's such as the 2007 SL65 AMG v12 twin turbo 738 lb-ft and 604 HP monster.

It is good to drain and refill about 4 quarts and I do it every second oil change. Never had issues with this transmission and I have it in a CLK 55, C43, SL500 and S500.

On the XJR, I worry more about the 4.0 L V8 sitting under the supercharger.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Very old thread but yes you can change the SC fluid without removing the SC.
It's not very hard to do and I never would go over about 80K miles before changing it. Very simple just use a syringe to suck the fluid out.

Datsports (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Very old thread but yes you can change the SC fluid without removing the SC.
It's not very hard to do and I never would go over about 80K miles before changing it. Very simple just use a syringe to suck the fluid out.
I know this is a REALLY old thread that recently got resurrected but eh.

I had to pull the SC off my XJR because of rear needle bearings; which are NOT lubricated from the SC Oil. I had changed the oil about a year prior. I did not notice anything to indicate inaccurate oil level.

I have a lot of friends with W body SC 3800V6 Grand Prixes, Impalas, Monte Carlos; I've never heard them talk about this remove from the car to change oil stuff on the M90 on their cars. ZZPerformance is actually headquartered in my town, and I've been to stuff they've put on and the talk is usually about couplers and pulleys, not oil change on versus off a car.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Gravedigging! There's another recent thread on this same topic with the same/similar replies.

Eatons on other cars recommend a 40k-60k mile oil interval, and they have the same guts as the one in the Jag.

The oil chamber is skinny in the direction of engine tilt, so a slight tilt in filling it when filling up to the oil port doesn't cause a significant difference in volume. I'm sure it's within tolerance.

It probably won't cause your s/c to explode if you put off oil changes (as long as it's not leaking oil), but it will run much quieter, and it will not hurt to change the oil. Also, if you've ever smelled old supercharger oil, you know it wears...

Artoman411 (05-01-2019)
Old 12-27-2017, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

In case someone comes across this, here's the link to changing SC fluid. Post's 35 & 36 are a bit simpler and more efficient methods. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-85828/page2/

Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unimoged
I agree with yeldogt. I would leave the SC alone unless it was off the engine. In regards to the "sealed for life" well nothing is...the transmission in the XJR is the 5G-Tronic (also called 722.6).

It is the highest torque rated unit that Mercedes produced for a long time. They used it on all the 4matics and the AMG's such as the 2007 SL65 AMG v12 twin turbo 738 lb-ft and 604 HP monster.

It is good to drain and refill about 4 quarts and I do it every second oil change. Never had issues with this transmission and I have it in a CLK 55, C43, SL500 and S500.

On the XJR, I worry more about the 4.0 L V8 sitting under the supercharger.
When you service your 722.6 , do you you replace the red locking plug , or did you get a dipstick for it ? I was thinking of replacing my plug with a dipstick

Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 97xj6lucy
When you service your 722.6 , do you you replace the red locking plug , or did you get a dipstick for it ? I was thinking of replacing my plug with a dipstick
The XJR/Merc transmissions are not meant to be run with the dipstick tool installed (search the x308 forums about this). If you're referring to the cap for the dipstick tube by the throttle body, I broke the locking tab for the cap, and reinstalled it with the locking tab removed. It's not going to go anywhere, the O-ring keeps it held in place. The locking tab is more for warranty purposes to show tampering, and unless you're expecting to warranty your 15-19 year old transmission, or it is only dealer serviced, I wouldn't worry about it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
722.6 Dipstick Tool.pdf (1.51 MB, 231 views)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
The XJR/Merc transmissions are not meant to be run with the dipstick tool installed (search the x308 forums about this). If you're referring to the cap for the dipstick tube by the throttle body, I broke the locking tab for the cap, and reinstalled it with the locking tab removed. It's not going to go anywhere, the O-ring keeps it held in place. The locking tab is more for warranty purposes to show tampering, and unless you're expecting to warranty your 15-19 year old transmission, or it is only dealer serviced, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you for all your help , much appreciated , I have an 03 super v8 and want to change the gearbox fluid, it has 160 thousand miles on it , and I'm sure its never been changed

Quick Reply: Supercharger oil change.