XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission re-assembly and Hello, and thanks

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Transmission re-assembly and Hello, and thanks

First, thanks to all the posters on this board for the info relating to the Jag VP 2000 and the ZF 5 hp 24 and it''s "a" drum problems. I have visited the forum many times for info and am truely thankful for all the info and help and the spirit with which it is shared.

I never thought I'd be lucky enough to own a Jaguar, a car I have admired my whole life. I bought a 2000 vanden plas a couple of years ago and after about a year the ole "a" drum did the come-a-part deal and I've been parked. The cars are really expensive to have work done so I finally, with the encouragement of this site to give the ole "a" drum replacement a go. The car is really nice and just a joy to drive, I'm just trying to continue my use of my nice green ride.

My problem is, after the sobering effort to remove and open up the 5 hp 24 is that I found almost no damage other than the edge of the a drum that had cracked and let the snap ring pop out and the lost of the first gear.
I took the a & b drum, tower is it?? out and replaced the a drum and a few of the o-rings and now it won't go back in the transmission as hoped. I have about a 7 mm gap, maybe 6 mm if I'd left the gasket on there. It feels like it's bottomed out and all the snap rings are in place on the tower parts, I'm just at a loss of what to try next. I could really use some ideas of what to try or what the possible cause is.

Thanks,
Will P.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-20-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 05:34 PM

This is my first day here and I probably should have put "Help please" in my title... Will

Old 07-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if you followed the thread below, but it sounds like your problem may have been addressed there.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nt-diy-144763/

The following 3 users liked this post by RJ237:
Don B (07-20-2015), Will P (07-19-2015), XJRay (07-20-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by RJ237
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if you followed the thread below, but it sounds like your problem may have been addressed there.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nt-diy-144763/
You know I'll try again tomorrow. I knew it was hard to get the last step of returning the transmission to the bellhousing, but the info that it was extremely hard to get the last alignment is encouraging to me. I hope I haven't damaged the part that is beyond the A B assembly so that I must repair that as well.

I could use any ideas about how to align the last plates for a,b insertion would really be appreciated. I had not seen this post you referred me to and I will look again tomorrow. Thanks so much. Will

Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

If you don't stand the gearbox on it's A$$ it is difficult to keep the frictions/steels centered in the drums. If the gearbox is horizontal the Earth and the parts inside the trans attract each other (gravity).

I place the gearbox in a barrel, tail first and then lower the parts into the case.

bob gauff

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (07-20-2015), Will P (07-19-2015), XJRay (07-20-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Default Thanks so much Mortorcarman

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If you don't stand the gearbox on it's A$$ it is difficult to keep the frictions/steels centered in the drums. If the gearbox is horizontal the Earth and the parts inside the trans attract each other (gravity).

I place the gearbox in a barrel, tail first and then lower the parts into the case.

bob gauff
Thank you sir, I've alread got the galvanized can picked out, I'll reply soon to the luck I have, I've been doing it at an angle, no wonder I've struggled so.

Thanks so much, Will P

Old 07-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Take your time on it, and keep redoing until it is in correctly- do not force it. With patience, you will get it right!

The following 2 users liked this post by dsnyder586:
Don B (07-20-2015), Will P (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:02 AM
Smile I really needed the info and...

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Take your time on it, and keep redoing until it is in correctly- do not force it. With patience, you will get it right!
dsnyder586,

I tell you the heat index here was almost up to 110 with our crushing humidity and hard things get really hard when under those conditions. I am encouraged after the info and messages on the board, I plan to get after it today. I'm going to re-read your post from June, that I had not seen. All my bookmarks on this site were in the hopper for a long time and I hadn't seen your recent post on my exact problem. Will yours and the others I shall survive the oppressive heat index...... Thanks Sir, Will P

Old 07-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Smile Finally she meshes like peas and carrots

Thanks for the encouragement. She's back together!

I got the transmission completely verticle in a steel can and with stuffing, got her almost completely level. I took some very small screwdrivers and my glasses and a bright light and took twenty minutes or so to precisely space and align the lining disk and after a little moment of wishing click and about three minutes it was in. I had measured the height to the end of the shaft before the new alignment and it was 19.4 cm and after it was about 18.2 so I knew the game was done. Torqued em up (first time for me to use a torque wrench, and the snap springs and spring wrench and so many new things). I got it so quick I started drilling out one of the broken bolts on the exaust manifold, so, a victory indeed.

I've got several bolts to remove and my crankshaft turner and safty helper is gone for a couple of weeks but, I am just so relieved and apprecitive of the help and encouragement. I had almost given up on the thing, so don't ever fail to offer the help you gave me. Thanks so much..... Will P

I will come back with updates on my progress, I will get everything I can done hopefully so I can get her running soon as my bud gets back from vacation. Just grateful... I really appreciate the collective your mechanical minds and car knowlege...and sharing

The following 5 users liked this post by Will P:
Don B (07-20-2015), dsnyder586 (07-20-2015), motorcarman (07-20-2015), RJ237 (07-20-2015), XJRay (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Will,

Congratulations on getting the gearbox back together! I especially feel your pain because I spent the last two days replacing the oil sump gasket on my son's BMW and it's been almost as hot and humid in Tennessee as it has in Alabama. I'm wiped out and you must be too. Way to stick with it until you got it right!

Thanks also to our fellow members who have advised and encouraged you. That's what this forum is all about.

And since we're a friendly group, once you come up for air, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

I'm looking forward to your next progress report.

Cheers,

Don

XJRay (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Default Thanks and will do

Originally Posted by Don B
Will,

Congratulations on getting the gearbox back together! I especially feel your pain because I spent the last two days replacing the oil sump gasket on my son's BMW and it's been almost as hot and humid in Tennessee as it has in Alabama. I'm wiped out and you must be too. Way to stick with it until you got it right!

Thanks also to our fellow members who have advised and encouraged you. That's what this forum is all about.

And since we're a friendly group, once you come up for air, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

I'm looking forward to your next progress report.

Cheers,

Don

I look forward to doing that Don, thanks! Will P

Old 07-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Glad to hear it was that easy. And remember in the future: always pay close attention to comments by motorcarman, he has been working on Jags forever.

Don B (07-21-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Y'all are wimps!!!!LOL
It was about 100 F in my shop today. I still managed to install timing chains in a 1952 Jag Mk VII 3.4 and start getting the rest of the engine together. I also completely disassembled a Ruger Standard MkI .22 Rimfire, cleaned and reassembled.

I seem to like machines that make noise????

bob gauff

Old 07-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Default Knowlege

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Y'all are wimps!!!!LOL
It was about 100 F in my shop today. I still managed to install timing chains in a 1952 Jag Mk VII 3.4 and start getting the rest of the engine together. I also completely disassembled a Ruger Standard MkI .22 Rimfire, cleaned and reassembled.

I seem to like machines that make noise????

bob gauff

I don't mind my wimpatude, but I'd like to steal your auto knowledge.... Will P