XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I went with a friend of mine to a Jaguar Dealer because he is interested in a new XE. We went in his car which is a Ford Focus, and we took an XE 2.0 Diesel out for a Test Drive. I never drove it because it was for him, but he quickly learnt to love it. I think he will buy this week.

However I was so surprised when I learnt that they don't have a steering column! That information blew my mind, to think the steering wheel operates totally independent of the front wheels. But it also means you can't push it if you get a flat battery. LOL

Old 09-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I went with a friend of mine to a Jaguar Dealer because he is interested in a new XE. We went in his car which is a Ford Focus, and we took an XE 2.0 Diesel out for a Test Drive. I never drove it because it was for him, but he quickly learnt to love it. I think he will buy this week.

However I was so surprised when I learnt that they don't have a steering column! That information blew my mind, to think the steering wheel operates totally independent of the front wheels. But it also means you can't push it if you get a flat battery. LOL
Still has a steering column, Stu. Steer by wire isn't permitted quite yet. A redundant system has to be there. I think Infity is closest to steer by wire... But not totally...

Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Just going off what the salesman told us, having just checked I see there is one. I think the dealer is misinformed in the case.
I wouldn't buy one anyway, far too modern for me. LOL

Old 09-13-2017, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member

Just going off what the salesman told us, having just checked I see there is one. I think the dealer is misinformed in the case.
I wouldn't buy one anyway, far too modern for me. LOL
I wouldn't trust an electrical steein system with no column what so ever. I mean in aircraft the standards are A LOT higher and you have double, triple, heck sometimes even quadrupal redundancies.

He might have meant though that is has an electrical power assisted steering. That is now more common than the ol' reliable hydraulic one.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
I wouldn't trust an electrical steein system with no column what so ever
With the way they drive here, I often wonder if they have one ...it should explain a lot ....

Old 09-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Default It's the future....and it **** for petrolheads...

Electronic diffs, brakes and steering racks are now the 'thing' for manufacturers, which is an anathema to me....it knocks me sick to think these systems are the way forward, but it must be because we have to accept it....I'm from an era of watching racing drivers arms twirl as they fought the corner. How can E brakes give feedback on a good set of hard pushed hydraulic brakes or steering????

Analog hydraulic systems in racks and brakes are something the electronics mimic and do very well but aren't something I'd want or need. Stu raised the point, flat battery = brick.
I'm yet to compare back to back but I'm just glad that stepping out of the mainstream (as a drive focused buyer will have to do) there are a host of small production makes to consider - one of which I'm very happy to see back in TVR and probably the King of drivers cars Lotus, but when the car pulls the girl, and girl wants babies, well it's E braking steering future iPhone car shopping here we come! If you're lucky enough to own a proper drivers car cherish it because the future looks bleak for loud, wonderful driving machines that feel alive and make you feel more so

Last edited by Sean B; 09-13-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Rotated my tires last night. Had to chisel one of the caps off a lug nut that somehow had frozen itself on right good. I could've sworn that I had them off not long ago but maybe not. I have one on the front that's mushroomed just enough, too, so I guess it's about time to just order up a whole new set and be done with it. Looks like I'll grab new rear pads and bearings for the winter, and then in Spring, plan a full bushing overhaul.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
Electronic diffs, brakes and steering racks are now the 'thing' for manufacturers, which is an anathema to me....it knocks me sick to think these systems are the way forward, but it must be because we have to accept it....I'm from an era of watching racing drivers arms twirl as they fought the corner. How can E brakes give feedback on a good set of hard pushed hydraulic brakes or steering????

Analog hydraulic systems in racks and brakes are something the electronics mimic and do very well but aren't something I'd want or need. Stu raised the point, flat battery = brick.
I'm yet to compare back to back but I'm just glad that stepping out of the mainstream (as a drive focused buyer will have to do) there are a host of small production makes to consider - one of which I'm very happy to see back in TVR and probably the King of drivers cars Lotus, but when the car pulls the girl, and girl wants babies, well it's E braking steering future iPhone car shopping here we come! If you're lucky enough to own a proper drivers car cherish it because the future looks bleak for loud, wonderful driving machines that feel alive and make you feel more so

Well said! I guess you're not a fan of the E type Zero then?

To me comparing the E type Zero to the real thing is like comparing a real gorgeous model of a woman, say, Salma Hayek with a VR version of her via oculus rift or semething similar- none of the smell or sound or touch , personalitttty anaetheised.

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Exactly, the Zero isn't a car for me, it's for our future generations to enjoy in our 'zero emissions future' - but what enjoyment would that be? unplug it and hum round like a very pretty milk float!

The real thing is very much like a beautiful woman - legend has it E type designer Malcolm Sayer his young bride's profile as she slept on their honeymoon morning in Monaco, so fitting for such a gorgeous car. It involves you, it's emotional particularly if you've done the restoration journey together or saved and grafted to attain it. First fireup? it's like the birth of a child!

Last edited by Sean B; 09-18-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Count Iblis (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Took a 5 hour drive to look at a '66 S type, bent valves but a better body than the one I have in the garage, opened the door and was taken back sooo many years with the aroma of leather and wood, sealed the deal with a handshake and drove home again. Trip computer shows 23.7mpg and 52mph average

xjay8 (09-21-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Exactly, the Zero isn't a car for me, it's for our future generations to enjoy in our 'zero emissions future' - but what enjoyment would that be? unplug it and hum round like a very pretty milk float!

The real thing is very much like a beautiful woman - legend has it E type designer Malcolm Sayer his young bride's profile as she slept on their honeymoon morning in Monaco, so fitting for such a gorgeous car. It involves you, it's emotional particularly if you've done the restoration journey together or saved and grafted to attain it. First fireup? it's like the birth of a child!
Nicely put!

Didn't Malcolm Sayer also pen the XJS? I wonder what inspired/possessed (depending on your perspective) him then?

Old 09-19-2017, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member

Closes the hatch and awaits incoming ordnance

I think I like the E-Type Zero

I think l like it because as someone who is still considered to be relatively young (30 going on 31), I look towards the future with weary eyes. I say this because governments seem to be knee jerk reacting regarding the future of fossil fuel vehicles. The UK government and others have announced their intentions to ban new petrol and diesel car sales in the next 20-25 years, and electric vehicles are coming on in leaps and bounds.

In addition to this they have just signed legislation which will allow vehicles over 40 years old in the UK to be exempt from MOT. This will allow a small number of unscrupulous individuals to run around in dangerous vehicles, therefore it'll only be a matter of time until there is a horrific accident of some sort. I personally feel this is a deliberate sadistic conspiracy by the UK government to allow this to happen. So when the inevitable accident happens, the general public feeling towards classics will be turned and I'm sure various factions will call for their being outlawed.

I personally dislike most modern cars, save for a very small number of unique cars. There isn't really a single car on sale today, Jaguar included, that I'd be inclined to buy. I like my old XJ, my old Triumph and even the 11 year old fiesta I biff about in. But I know deep down their future is in danger, they may well become rather large ornaments. The E Type is a car I like though and if the future is converting classic's or selling new versions of classics with electric motors in them, then I suppose the E Type Zero is a good thing. Even if it has lost it's voice, but then I'm sure there is a way of channelling the engine sound through the speakers. Not great, but better than nothing.

However I don't think electric cars are the be all and end all of future motorized transport. I think hydrogen powered cars, who's only emissions are water vapour, are severely overlooked.

Now, where's my flak jacket...

smtguy (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Closes the hatch and awaits incoming ordnance

I think I like the E-Type Zero

I think l like it because as someone who is still considered to be relatively young (30 going on 31), I look towards the future with weary eyes. I say this because governments seem to be knee jerk reacting regarding the future of fossil fuel vehicles. The UK government and others have announced their intentions to ban new petrol and diesel car sales in the next 20-25 years, and electric vehicles are coming on in leaps and bounds.

In addition to this they have just signed legislation which will allow vehicles over 40 years old in the UK to be exempt from MOT. This will allow a small number of unscrupulous individuals to run around in dangerous vehicles, therefore it'll only be a matter of time until there is a horrific accident of some sort. I personally feel this is a deliberate sadistic conspiracy by the UK government to allow this to happen. So when the inevitable accident happens, the general public feeling towards classics will be turned and I'm sure various factions will call for their being outlawed.

I personally dislike most modern cars, save for a very small number of unique cars. There isn't really a single car on sale today, Jaguar included, that I'd be inclined to buy. I like my old XJ, my old Triumph and even the 11 year old fiesta I biff about in. But I know deep down their future is in danger, they may well become rather large ornaments. The E Type is a car I like though and if the future is converting classic's or selling new versions of classics with electric motors in them, then I suppose the E Type Zero is a good thing. Even if it has lost it's voice, but then I'm sure there is a way of channelling the engine sound through the speakers. Not great, but better than nothing.

However I don't think electric cars are the be all and end all of future motorized transport. I think hydrogen powered cars, who's only emissions are water vapour, are severely overlooked.

Now, where's my flak jacket...
Stu, were basically the same age

My opinion is still: the E is faaaar too hyped. And I like the XJ-S more

Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 AM

Before ...
After....

Old 09-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Sean B (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:39 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Stu,
I am twice your age, and while I have gasoline running in my veins, I am less concerned about the proliferation of electric vehicles than I am future autonomous ones. At least we can still drive an EV.

Although I believe that autonomous technology is a long way off to be even close to safe or practical, my greater fear is that the political elite in our respective governments will soon after decide that the average citizen is too incapable of of safely piloting his own car. After all, it is government's job to save people from themselves, right? So then we will all simply become riders in people movers. Sounds bleak to me when compared with driving my X308.

For me, I want nothing to do with self driving cars - I don't want to be in them, or drive anywhere among them. I don't think I will be around when that happens anyway, but you young people will probably have to deal with it.

Moderators - please forgive me if I posted in the wrong thread

Cheers

Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

I noticed the front tires are wearing a bit faster than the rear which at first surprised me on a rear wheel drive car. I guess the front brakes doing most of the work and handling curves in a front engine V8 car can be tough on the front tires?

I rotated them today, (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3). I did the modified cross-cross for rear wheel drive. Fronts crossed and moved to rear, rear to front, same side.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Stu, were basically the same age

My opinion is still: the E is faaaar too hyped. And I like the XJ-S more
How can that car be 'hyped'? Is the Ferrari 250 GTO far too hyped also? Because Enzo Ferrari called the S1 E Coupe ...."A poem in steel". I'd take his opinion over yours lol

Old 09-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by harvest14
I noticed the front tires are wearing a bit faster than the rear which at first surprised me on a rear wheel drive car. I guess the front brakes doing most of the work and handling curves in a front engine V8 car can be tough on the front tires?

I rotated them today, (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3). I did the modified cross-cross for rear wheel drive. Fronts crossed and moved to rear, rear to front, same side.
Sounds like you're enjoying the car, a classic sign is feathered edges on the fronts.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by smtguy
Although I believe that autonomous technology is a long way off to be even close to safe or practical,
I've seen with my own eyes a convoy of driver-less trucks, and I mean big rigs, being tested on UK and European motorways. Tesla build automatic driving capability into all their cars just waiting for the day and many companies are making huge advances in creating autonomous vehicles. There are small and big cars alike which can park themselves in spaces human's deem to be unfit and the number of people getting driving licences in the UK drops every year.
For me it is a dangerous time because I am actually a professional driver and I'm at risk of being put out of a job by a robot. Maybe not in the next few years but I don't see myself driving for a living this time in 20 years, or even 10.

I've always loved driving my X308, even more so now they are rare. I can drive along the road here and each time I stop people are looking at the car. I leave her parked and people stare, take photos or video. There are young kids in my area who have never seen one and are in awe when they see mine. They look because they are impressed, Geoff Lawson's good work is still having an impact today.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?