XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Replaced both upper wishbone balljoints...went smooth and easy. Finally, my front rattle has gone (hopefully) - hadn't much time for a test drive after...so, fingers crossed for my next longer trip.

The following users liked this post:
Daim (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
An afternoon free and not raining, Huzzah!
I've been meaning to try a new compound a local pro paint shop swears by - Farecla G3 Fine, I tend to use 3M Autofina but ran out.
This car was detailed at the beginning of the summer by a good valeter but it needed some attention, bird strikes, road grime tar tree sap and bugs!

I used a DA and soft foam mops and managed to get all the crap off, the Farecla stuff is a quality product and way cheaper than 3M, a bit slower to cure but very little dust, I may use a harder set of mops next time to get it super flat.

Next was 2 light coats of Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and for the first time I'm happy with the way it went on, I've always waxed by hand with this stuff, but on this particular car it's been a bit of a nightmare with swirls and holograms. This time I used a fraction of the amount and got a lovely even finish. Final coat of Autglym Extra Gloss Protection and it's looking a bit better. Wheels next.

It's going to rain later, let it BEAD!
Great results Sean! WIst my car was worth polishing

Sean B (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

That does look good Sean, the G3 is good stuff. I'll let you do my car next

Sean B (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
An afternoon free and not raining, Huzzah!
I've been meaning to try a new compound a local pro paint shop swears by - Farecla G3 Fine, I tend to use 3M Autofina but ran out.
This car was detailed at the beginning of the summer by a good valeter but it needed some attention, bird strikes, road grime tar tree sap and bugs!

I used a DA and soft foam mops and managed to get all the crap off, the Farecla stuff is a quality product and way cheaper than 3M, a bit slower to cure but very little dust, I may use a harder set of mops next time to get it super flat.

Next was 2 light coats of Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and for the first time I'm happy with the way it went on, I've always waxed by hand with this stuff, but on this particular car it's been a bit of a nightmare with swirls and holograms. This time I used a fraction of the amount and got a lovely even finish. Final coat of Autglym Extra Gloss Protection and it's looking a bit better. Wheels next.

It's going to rain later, let it BEAD!
Looks amazing - great job!

Sean B (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Replaced the rear pads, which went relatively smoothly other than my floor jack acting up when I tried to raise the rear all at once, so had to do it one side at a time. Oh well. So that takes care of that. Next up is to give a good cleaning and wash/wax. I leave for The Dragon on Saturday.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Fitted some new summer tires after my winter tyres are now officially dead. Now the car steers everywhere and it is a fight to get it to go anywhere straight. Curves are leathal too. So I'll be getting an alignment check done on Wednesday. Tomorrow is a bank holiday... Will maybe even just fitted the rear to the fronts and see if it gets better (2 different brands, had to take what was on stock as it was short notice).

Old 10-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Did some more work on my radio project, ordered a water pump - be putting that in on Friday.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Finally getting around to pricing up Brembo disks and pads, now that my set of Milans have turned up.
Plan is to swap the tyres from the factory Asteroids over to the Milans, and use those for daily driving/trips away, and swap over to the 20" Detroits when I feel like showing off, eg Jag club events, car shows etc

Old 10-05-2017, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I've spent the last 24 hours driving round in my friend's late 2015 XF Sport. I'm doing this because it's had to go back to the dealership four times for a rattle which the dealer was convinced was suspension related. After I'd spent an hour exploring the car's engine bay checking for loose pipes I eventually found the bonnet catches were all loose and the cable was not clipped into place. My friend is away for a few weeks and has asked me to collect the car and keep it for a few days to see if any rattles come back. So far so good.

However, despite the newness and high specification I don't get the same sense of "occasion" I get when I drive my X308. Driving the XF feels very different, the amount of tech on the car detaching me from the driving experience.

Inside it lacks the traditional wood and instead has masses of plastic surfaces which make it feel almost wipe clean. The seats are far too hard and the bolsters far too invasive, which makes getting in and out undignified for ladies in skirts. The seats in my XJ, even in sport trim, are soft and feel as though they hug you but still allow for dignified exits.

But what is still there is the wonderful Jaguar suspension tuning, the car handles like it's on rails. Engage sport mode and the electric PAS adjusts to give you a heavier feel for a more sporting drive. The 8 gears allow for a wide range of shift patterns to ensure a good getaway, even in the small 2.2 diesel flavour this is a quick car. I think if there's one thing I'd like on the X308 that this car has, it would be a smaller steering wheel. If there was a way to make it work, I'd do it.

But last night when I arrived home there was my XJ8 sat in a pool of light on my driveway. She stood proud and purposeful despite the wet and windy autumn weather, just waiting to go on her next journey. Parked next to the XF, there's really no competition. The modern Jag's may well have blistering performance and wonderful tech, but they really do lack the class and charm of the "Traditional" cars.

The following 4 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
ericjansen (10-05-2017), euphonium01 (10-16-2017), King Charles (10-05-2017), rocklandjag (10-05-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Well, it's exactly a year ago that I got new brake rotors and pads on my XJR. Today it was tires because the Michelin Sport were developing deep cuts in the groves where you could easily see the steel belts shining and two of the tires were leaking pretty good, albeit plenty of tread left, what a bummer.

After that pleasant experience of about a year ago with the tires I got installed on my XJS and the approval of the same from owners who put them on their X308, I decided to use the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. Size is 255/40ZR-18. I know that it is typical to "feel" better with new tires, whether real or not but, although not as impressive an experience as it was with my XJS a year ago, they do feel better; smoother riding, sharper steering, stopping and accelerating, like they grab the road better. These tires feel great on both cars. Maybe it only makes sense, since the Michellin's were so deteriorated.

Next should be my driver's seat. I don't know why the XJR's perforated leather deteriorates so quickly and so much more than the XJ8 leather, or even my XJS'. It began to crack at about 30K miles, an age when my XJ8 leather still looked like new. I wish that I could cheat with different leather, as long as it looks exactly the same as the OEM leather. We'll see.

Cheers,

Old 10-08-2017, 10:06 PM

Figured that even though it's a couple days in, and a couple to go:

Left home Sat morning, drove to Bristol (600ish miles?) with a left rear tire that decided to start leaking air to the tune of having to stop every 100 miles in and top it back up with air. This morning, woke up and it wouldn't even budge - I was so tired I forgot to jack the car up to relieve pressure of it sitting. So spare went on, drove to Asheville NC as I had an appointment with a Zip Line tour, and following, hunted down a Sears to repair it. Pinhole in it, plugged and on my way after.

I tried washing it three days in a row, and rain every one. Tomorrow is my run up the Tail of the Dragon, and the treehouse cabin I rented for tonight and tomorrow has covered parking underneath with a hose, so I went out a couple hours ago and washed it quick. Tomorrow I'll get up early, and wax it down. I would've tonight, but with the darkness I know I would've missed a bunch, and didn't want bugs clinging around with the lights on. Still raining, has been for going on 8 hours straight? Thanks Nate! (that's sarcastic for those that don't recognize the Hurricane name). But even if it rains tomorrow on the ride, at least it'll look nice and rich.

Side note, I stopped in... well, I dunno, was halfway down Virginia I think? And pulled in for gas and for the a rare time on a road trip, I saw another black X308 - this was a slightly earlier XJR I believe, in much cleaner condition than mine. Granted I had just driven 400 miles and in and out of rain, but still, even from a few pumps away I could tell that the paint had a lot less wear on it than mine. Someday I'll get it repainted, but it's a road warrior for me, and daily, so I wear the nicks proudly! Was really cool to see another out thought.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Next should be my driver's seat. I don't know why the XJR's perforated leather deteriorates so quickly and so much more than the XJ8 leather, or even my XJS'. It began to crack at about 30K miles, an age when my XJ8 leather still looked like new. I wish that I could cheat with different leather, as long as it looks exactly the same as the OEM leather. We'll see.

Cheers,

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nt-xj8-111994/

Forcedair1 (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts
Default I'm back baby

After over a year of everything going wrong, I finally titled my XJR. Woo. Done with this mess finally https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...advice-186093/

Now onto some serious exterior cleaning and building up tools for a front subframe bushing job! And selling my other car finally, and daily-ing a supercharged Jag, and guzzling some premium, and finally my dream XJR Shenandoah/Skyline cruise once the car's 100% sorted!

Old 10-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Thank you.

Cheers,

Last edited by Forcedair1; 10-11-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:29 PM

Managed to make it home, so I drove it to work today. Does that count? lol. 52 hours of driving over the last 4 days, 2600+ miles. Still wish the handbrake was somewhere that it wouldn't dig into my thigh, but other than that, an uneventful trip. I guess I'm one of those people that don't think twice about hopping in a car that's approaching 200k miles, and driving away. Later today, I might even unpack it. lol

Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 317 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
After over a year of everything going wrong, I finally titled my XJR. Woo. Done with this mess finally https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...advice-186093/

Now onto some serious exterior cleaning and building up tools for a front subframe bushing job! And selling my other car finally, and daily-ing a supercharged Jag, and guzzling some premium, and finally my dream XJR Shenandoah/Skyline cruise once the car's 100% sorted!
Glad it got sorted! Enjoy the 308!

nilanium (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

I just want to say that I went for a drive in my XJR today and it was wonderful!

I have posted hundreds of times regarding what I've done to the various Jaguars I've owned, but this particular car looks and drives like a new car and sadly it's been sitting in my garage with very little use for the last few months. I've just been too busy!

I work for a rental car company and as part of my benefits package I get 24/7 use of fleet vehicles. I drive home between 5 and 10 different brand new cars (2017 and 2018 models right now) every month. My 15 year old XJR makes them all seem deficient (except for the gas mileage, but oh well).

It is smooth, solid, powerful, comfortable, beautiful and it feels like on "occasion" when I'm driving it.

That's all; I just wanted to express my appreciation for the car to some people who might be able to relate.

Thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by harvest14:
Count Iblis (10-12-2017), Stu 1986 (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

After waiting several weeks for the lone local transmission shop that has experience w/ these ZF's & their intricacies. It finally gets there & the next day the region is pelted/flooded by hurricane remnants then by tropical storm conditions the following week. It damaged the guy's satellite shop & equipment, but he is finally back up & able this week ! Mind you I have been waiting w/ bated breath since early August lol.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:20 PM

Down near central NC? I escaped Asheville after my tire repair just in time to get clear before the tornado warnings hit the area on Sunday. Crazy to watch the stuff flying around!

Old 10-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
Down near central NC? I escaped Asheville after my tire repair just in time to get clear before the tornado warnings hit the area on Sunday. Crazy to watch the stuff flying around!
I'm coastal/eastern NC it's par for our course here lol.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?