XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

x308 front wing / fender removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default x308 front wing / fender removal

I looked in JTIS for steps in removing the front drivers side wing (fender). it says to look in the body and paint repair manual... cant locate it. Maybe i dont have that file.
Does anyone have that file and/or instructins for the fender removal.? Should be straight forward but you never know what you will encounter.

best regards
Peter

Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The fender has three screws behind the wheel (behind the mudguard )and two screws that are hidden by the bumper. All of the other screws are covered by the bonnet. Remove the actual fender's inner mud guard. Then you will see, how many fasteners (clips) of the mud guard was connecting to the bumper. You have to remove those fasteners from the other side of the bumper. Next step is to remove the bumper. It is time and paint saver if you take a big soft clothes at the ground in front of the bumper, but if you have a helping mate it is not necessary. He can hold the bumper while you disconnect the wires of the fog-tail lamps of the bumper. Now you can remove the bumper after removing the two big screws near to the license plate.

Last step is removing the fender lower 3+2 screws, and the uppers under the bonnet. Don't be surprised that the fender is glued to the body, so you will need a knife.

Last edited by xjrsteve; 02-01-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 PM

ok i will try those directions, but if nyone knows where to find this BODY AND PAINT REPAIR MANUAL for the 1999 x308, in particular for the front fender/wing removal let me know please. I searched the archives but nothing.

best
Peter

Old 02-02-2013, 05:03 AM
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Trust me, it is quite simple...

You will need to remove the bumper first. remove the screws that hold the undershield in place, take it off.

Remove the shield under the wing that you want to remove. The plastic fasteners need to have the centre pulled out with pliers/similar to get them out.

Disconnect the wires for the spots/indicators.

remove the two big bolts near the number plate.

The bumper simply slides off. If you have headlight washers you need to disconnect the pipe for them (i don't have them, so can't advise - sorry)

The wing has bolts along the top edge, two at the front lower edge that you can see when the bumper is off, two at the back inside the wing near the door pillar, and one lower down that goes into the sill. the rear ones are a bit fiddly - spanner or ratchet ring on these. All 10mm heads i think...

When all the bolts are out, you will need to cut through the sealant at the rear top edge of the wing/inner wing. A good deep slice with a blade should do it, that will allow the seal to break when you pull the wing away.

The following users liked this post:
toadhall (10-10-2015)
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by osyris
ok i will try those directions, but if nyone knows where to find this BODY AND PAINT REPAIR MANUAL for the 1999 x308, in particular for the front fender/wing removal let me know please. I searched the archives but nothing.

best
Peter
Peter,

A.f.a.i.k. the only source is the relevant section in JTIS. This will tell you little more than xjrssteve and richard thomas have already explained.

1. open JTIS. Select XJ RANGE and your MODEL YEAR (shown here arrowed in red):

x308 front wing / fender  removal-jtis-x308-body-paint-1a.jpg

2. click on the second graphic from the left on the top line (circled in red):

x308 front wing / fender  removal-jtis-x308-body-paint-2a.jpg

It will show '5: Body & Paint' as you hover your mouse over it.

3. from the Body & Paint section, click on the icon for the section you want:

x308 front wing / fender  removal-jtis-x308-body-paint-3.jpg

Jaguar released a printed XK8 BODY MANUAL:

x308 front wing / fender  removal-xk8-body-manual.jpg

The requirement for this was superseded with the introduction of JTIS and I haven't seen an equivalent for the X308.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 02-02-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Here is a photo of X308 front fender showing the mounting holes (Ebay listing of RH fender LH drive -US) -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6jm4pk7eo...ng%20holes.jpg

Click on the image when the dropbox webpage opens to get a sharper view.

Here is the weblink to the Ebay listing (shows 8 photos of fender - click on first photo to view all 8 photos then select the one showing inside of fender) use internet explorer browser to view it:

1998 2003 Jaguar Vanden Plas XJ8 Right Front Fender British Green | eBay

Here is a youtube DIY of XK8 wheel arch liner removal (similiar to X308) by forum member Reverend Sam:

Weblink to wheel arch liner PDF file from forum member GGG:

hhttps://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/attachments/xj-x308-xj8-xjr-27/22754d1345541175-wheel-arch-liner-where-get-snap-fixings-resolved-jaguar-x308-front-wheelarch-liner-pdfttp://

It would be great if you can do a DIY writeup with Photos. I could not find anything on the internet or the Jaguar manuals that give instructions on this for XJ X308 or the XK8.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-16-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

FWIW, I've done a LH Fender/Wing R&R on the X300. Wing is identical to X308 but bumper is different. Due to the manner of damage to the one I was removing, I was able to access the front 2 bolts without disturbing the bumper. I managed to install the replacement without messing with the front bumper as well but not before: 1) purchasing a 3-pack of ratchet-wrenches (sorry, can't remember the size you need but believe it was the 8mm or 10mm) box-end wrenches with ratchet mechanisms integrated into them. and 2) Holding my tongue "just so" whilst starting the bolts. (May have also used a flexible claw to start one of them, sorry, just don't remember.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 PM

Ok Gentlemen
I manage to remove the wing and as people pointed out here its as described.
The forward twp bolts near the bumper , althought they can be accessed and viewed from the inside wheel arch section cannot be easily removed by a socket or spanner. I removed the ONE of the main bolts on the bumper near the number plate underneath, and tilted the bumper forward and down just an inch so as to access these 2 bolts of the fender. No need to remove th e bumper, just one of the 2 main bumper bolts one the side of the car you are removing the wing. This allows acsess to the forward wing bolts.
I will post some pictures on a new thread of this all AND the RUST repair i am doing.

Many thanks to peoples responses.. will keep you all posted on progress.
Best Regards
Peter

The following users liked this post:
richard thomas (02-02-2013)