XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Are the XJR Calipers the same size as the XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Are the XJR Calipers the same size as the XKR?

I would like to order the MGP covers as shown in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...covers-105774/. These are metal covers, but the MGP website only lists the XK not the XJR , hence my question if the size is the same. I will pull the trigger if the size is the same and post pictures.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Britrover
I would like to order the MGP covers as shown in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...covers-105774/. These are metal covers, but the MGP website only lists the XK not the XJR , hence my question if the size is the same. I will pull the trigger if the size is the same and post pictures.
I would assume they are the same size and type...doesn't make manufacturing sense to have too many variations.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

What year XK and what kind of caliper ,there is a lot of difference between calipers and what you think about covering a part that gets very hot and need cooling ,otherwise it will fade..personally i would never cover a brake caliper just for the looks ,

Just get the real deal a set of Brembo,s from a breaker ,{ they will fade too if you brake hard a few times from high speeds.}

Last edited by DJ-Roy; 07-20-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

ricer...

Old 07-20-2014, 03:16 PM

Hi DJ Roy - I appreciate your input. I have reached out to a few breakers in the UK to see if I have any luck.There is also another member here in the US who often sells them so I am hoping i can get the original calipers.

Sean B - Having grown up in Hampstead, and recently spent time in Worcestershire, I must admit I have not heard the term you just used in England nor did expect it. I am an enthusiast here to learn and enjoy the ride and I will leave it at that.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

If you want to enjoy the ride, then save your money for things that will actually make a difference, rather than superficial things that might actually make the car worse.

IMHO those covers are a waste of time and money... but at the end of the day, it's your car and you money, so it's not my place to tell you what to do with either

Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Sean B - Having grown up in Hampstead, and recently spent time in Worcestershire, I must admit I have not heard the term you just used in England nor did expect it. I am an enthusiast here to learn and enjoy the ride and I will leave it at that.
Terribley sorry old bean, apologies for the Americanized phrase, my dear chap Grandell has explained it rather more succinctly. I'm fearfully brash being a northerner and hope I didn't offend you too much.

The caliper covers are what I would suggest as a boy racer fix to a rather more expensive problem, high performance brakes, of which I'd like to say I've plenty of experience on these cars.
Brembo kits do come up for sale, obviously USA has a bigger cache of these systems so looking and asking where you are for them might be a cheaper and faster way instead of UK. Some model year XKR Brembo kits will also fit.
Cheers!

Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 PM

Thank you Sean. You have a wealth of knowledge, as I have read many of your other posts. Hope the summer is continuing in England. We had some fantastic weather in Worcestershire in June before flying out, and miss the pretty scenery for sure.

I will hunt for the real Brembo brakes and hopefully find them soon.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes they are hard to get ,better chance oversea ,there is a set on Ebay UK

JAGUAR XJR SUPERCHARGED BRAKE CALIPERS ( 4 POTS ) | eBay

I would def make an offer on that price.....

Dont forget the wheels ,with Brembo,s you also need special wheels .
Regular XJR wheels dont fit anymore.
Jaguar sorted them for you ,BBS made them for the performance models in 18">20".
Aftermarket wheels forget that ,most are bad..

Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Not only do you need new wheels (which can be challenging, not to mention expensive to find in the first place), but you will also need new disks, pads, calliper mounting bolts and new brake lines as well.

- Disks can be 3x the price of the standard items, if you want genuine Brembo ones
- Pads are more expensive too
- Calliper mounting bolts are needed as the Brembos mount in a slightly different way, and you will need to tap threads in your old brackets (I hope this is correct, I'm still not 100% sure of the specifics on mounting Brembos onto original brackets)
- I also believe the Brembos have different brake line fittings, so they need to be replaced, and I have been advised to go with aftermarket braided lines, which sounds like a sensible idea

After you've gone through all of this... you will end up with brakes that aren't really that much of an improvement on the stock items. A good choice in pads could give you almost the same results... unfortunately we seem to only have two choices in brake pads for our cars, firstly Akebono Ceramics that are a great daily pad and have almost zero dust, but will face quickly with hard use, or secondly almost any other uprated/semi-racing pad that will stop the car very well, and handle the heat, but you'll be cleaning brake dust off your wheels every couple of weeks.

Oh, and before you jump to the conclusion that I'm trying to talk you out of upgrading the brakes, I'm actually in the process of doing exactly the same at the moment. I have a set of Brembo callipers sitting in a box next to me. Unfortunately they're not going to be much use until I spend another $1000 on disks, pads, bolts and lines, and god knows how much on upgrading the wheels... Woo